Would this Airport network function?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fussili@mac.com, Apr 8, 2005.

1. fussili@mac.com macrumors newbie

Hello.

I'm in something of a quandry.

I need to connect two computers to share the same internet connection. One is a Quicksilver G4 the other is a mac mini.

The mac mini doesn't at present have an airport card and of course these need to be installed by a an Apple Authorized engineer.

The Quicksilver is the only one close enough to a phone line to be connected to the USB ASDL modem.

Now if I was using an ethernet cable I'd be fine, sharing net connections between two macs (and indeed macs and PCs) is just a matter of clicking "share internet connection" but I'm not sure about WiFi networking.

If I use an airport card in my Quicksilver and then attach the mini to an Airport Express via ethernet would the Airport Express be able to loop the mini into the network and allow it to use the internet connection which the quicksilver was sharing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

- John

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'm fairly sure you can share the internet connection via Airport on a computer to computer network so it would work OK.

3. big macrumors 65816

big

Yeah, it'll work. You might have to play with the airport express setting, between a "remote" client or "relay", on WDS, but other than that, I've done it once before. Your obviously most easy solution would be to pick up a wireless router that has LAN connections as well, like a linksys version. However, you have to really fiddle with each piece to get them talking nicely.

4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i don't see why not. the AirPort Express allows you to connect wirelessly to the internet via the Ethernet so i don't see why it wouldn't allow you to connect to the network as well. Good luck though and be sure to get back to us and let us know how it works out...