Would This Be A Bad Idea?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Aug 6, 2005.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    I currently have a P4 3.0 with 1gig of ram ati 9600 video card 80 gb samsung drive.windows Xp pro.Im interested in a mini but would it be wise to replace my pc with a mini.I cant afford to keep both.thanks for the advice
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Is there anything you do on your PC that cannot be done on a Mac? If there is, then it would be foolish to get rid of your PC and rely only on a Mac. If there is absolutely nothing you use your PC for that can't be done on a Mac Mini, then what are you waiting for? Get a Mac!
  3. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Tough to answer this question for you. Have you used Macs before? What do you do on your PC? If I had to pick one to use day in and out, without question it would be the Mini, purely because I prefer the Mac OS. Good luck with your decision.
  4. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Thanks for replying.Well i don't do much with my pc.That why i figured id get a mac with os x or tiger.I messed around with a powerbook.It was a pleasant experience.I'm kinda worried that ill miss the expandability of my pc.i cant afford a g5 or imac g5 just the mini.
  5. gallivant macrumors member

Dec 14, 2004
    It's important to note that you've got a pretty powerful machine right now, and the mini - while a real delight, small and quiet and cool - is not exactly a powerhouse supermachine.
  6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    osx = tiger.

Anyway, If you can only afford a mini and you want to replace your current machine with the mini i think that even though you don't do much, you may miss a bit of the power. I woul advise to keep saving your cash for an iMac at least. Or, get the mini and know that photoshop will run on it, but you won't really be able to game on it. Macs aren't known for gaming anyway, but a mini I would think that would be next to impossible.
  7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    I second this. I would save up some more cash and try to get something with a little more power if you are going to ditch your PC. The iMacs are GREAT deals for the amount of power you get in such a small package. Remember, with the Mini you have to supply your own monitor, keyboard and mouse as well. The more you can spend on your new mac the better.
  8. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    How much do you think you're going to be able to sell your existing system for assuming you're going to be keeping your keyboard, mouse and monitor for your mini? If your not keeping them and are buying new what is the cost to change going to be and how close is that to buying just the mini cpu?