Would This Clean Install Procedure Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CubaTBird, Oct 5, 2004.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

If i were to boot from my mac os x restore disk and have it load the disk utility program and have that program fully format or erase my ibooks hard drive would that work? Once that would be done, I would assume the hard drive would be fully erased and i could start the mac os x installer. The reason I ask this is b/c when I reinstalled os x and chose the erase and install, i noticed it did a sort of quick format. I want a full format, so would the above procedure work out with no issues? Im just wonderin, i don't need to do it right now but for future reference.

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

It actually did a full format. HFS+ formats EXTREMELY quick unlike a FAT32 or NTFS on the PC side.

Yes that will work, but I believe it does the same thing when doing an erase & install.

3. rand() macrumors regular

That is true, unless what TBird wants is a "secure" format - that is, write 0's or random junk to the whole drive, then format.

If that's what you'd prefer, I don't believe the Installer has options for erasing with 0's or the "8-way random write," which the Disk Utility does provide.

And yes, you'll be able to hop right into Installer and install (or restore) OS X again right after it gets done with that - *significantly* longer - format.

-rand()

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Format under the current OS disk utility, just deletes the drive catalog and starts a new one -- everything is still on the drive.

To fully format the drive and start clean, you have to select the write zeros option -- which will take forever to finish, and remember to include the install OS 9 drivers if you have a OS9 bootable machine.