Would this memory (RAM) work with new 15" PowerBook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by VogonPoet, Oct 19, 2005.

1. VogonPoet Guest

I just ordered one of the new 15" PowerBooks with the standard 512MB of RAM. I want to upgrade to 2GB myself after I receive the PB. NewEgg is currently selling these Kingston ValueRAM 1GB sticks (DDR2 PC2 4200 SODIMM).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144183

Based on the specs I can find on Apple's site, that RAM should work? Any thoughts.

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Yeah, that *should* work, but beware. PowerBooks are famously picky about RAM.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

6. iumeda macrumors newbie

report back please!

Please let us know if the memory works for you. I think there are many people who would benefit from this information. Thank you!

-ian

7. iumeda macrumors newbie

the answer is: yes

I'm answering my own post here. I got 2GB of Crucial memory from newegg and it seems to work just fine.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you ordered from the link in your first post? i noticed the reviews say that it doesn't work in the latest powerbooks

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

after looking here, they seem to be more expensive than places like newegg.com

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Datamem.com is good. They are usually cheap and guarantee their RAM to work in Macs. Newegg does not have this guarantee. caveat emptor.

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

what about transcend ram? i read reviews at newegg and some powerbook owners stated that it worked fine

12. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i ordered a 1gb ddr2 stick yesterday from DataMem.com and will receive it today. i will report back and let everyone know how it works out.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I know you will be happy. They are very good. If you are not happy for some reason, I guarantee they will do whatever possible to rectify the problem.

14. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

can't wait to hear, so i can decide on what to order. i need more ram!

15. tekmoe macrumors 68000

ok, i got home today and installed the 1gb stick. everything is running flawlessly. i even ran the mac hardware test for the heck of it and of course, everything checked out A-OK.

before i shutdown my powerbook to install the RAM, i had an uptime of over 7 days. now let's see how long of an uptime i can get! ;)

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's good too know. i guess i'll have to order some soon

17. motherduce macrumors 6502

I can't decide between the Kingston from Newegg ($80), or the datamem special ($99).

I've used Kingston and Crucial in my PC's for 8 years with no issues, but never anything from DataMem.

18. motherduce macrumors 6502

Hmmm...just noticed the Transcend is only $67 after rebate. I could get 2 GB for just a little more than the 1GB kingston or datamem, and then sell the 512 stick that came with my PB.

How good is transcend though, I've never heard of them.

19. tekmoe macrumors 68000

update: iTunes just crashed for no apparent reason. i had it playing in the background and it crashed. i did not have an app crash during the entire 7 day uptime from before i installed the new 1gb stick from DataMem. i will give this ram one more chance. if i have another app crash, the ram is being returned. grrrrrrrrr

20. tekmoe macrumors 68000

just another thought...maybe i need to remove the original 512mb factory stick because it may not be fully compatible with the 1gb datamem stick?

21. motherduce macrumors 6502

if all the specs are the same on it, they should work well together.

22. tekmoe macrumors 68000

maybe the iTunes crash was a fluke...but i have a gut feeling that it has something to do with the new memory stick. i've never seen iTunes crash on any of my macs before. :rolleyes:

for some people, a crash here and there is no big deal. but my mac has to be 100% stable. i do live performances using serato scratch live which is a dj'ing software. if my mac crashes when i am in the mix, it is a HUGE deal. it is VERY important that my mac is running top notch at all times or else i am screwed. chances are, i am going to be sending this memory back. one crash is pretty much enough to turn me away from using this ram. i still have 29 days left so i will use it for what its worth but i am not feeling very confident at this point.

will post back if anything else weird happens.

23. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

just so you know, i have the same powerbook as you do, and mine just crashed. i had an uptime of almost 8 days (not quite) and i'm sitting here in class and all of a sudden i get this grey screen thing that comes up and says: You must restart your computer. Press and hold the power button.

it has the message in a few other languages also.

it might not be the ram, since i have the same laptop you do, but who knows? i probably needed a restart anyways, after installing programs and stuff

24. tekmoe macrumors 68000

ouch. that's not good at all. kernel panic! have you added any additional RAM?

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, i didn't think it was good. i haven't done anything to it hardware wise, i just added quite a few programs. photoshop, final cut pro, and quite a few other media applications. is there anything i should do about this?