Would Virtual PC be able to...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Azmodon, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Azmodon macrumors member

Jul 3, 2005
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Would Virtual PC be able to run a game like Anarchy Online? Anyone here ever experiment with that? I understand that VPC is not able to port over graphic something-or-others that have to do with 3d emulation, but a game like Anarchy Online that isn't so graphically inclined... maybe?

Anyone know for sure?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    VPC struggles with the eye candy in XP so pretty much any game this side of Freecell is futile. Sorry. :eek:
  3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    VirtualPC Emulates an 8MB S3 PCI video card. Any game that requires anything better will not run. Because that video card does not have 3d acceleration, any game that says it requires 3d acceleration will not run. Even if a game will run, if it makes use of full-screen mode, it will be slow.

Anarchy Online is a 3d game, and has as a requirement "Direct3D 32 MB Video Card". It will not run. (It might be possible to trick it into running, but it would be unbearably slow.)

Virtual PC is meant for 'office'-type apps. Anything processor or video intensive will not be worth running. It is *NOT* for games.
  4. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2005
    Springfield Ohio
    what i would try to do is test a pc demo like unreal tournament or somthing else that dont require much power to run than see if it play's thats is a easy way to find out if it works or not
  5. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    i dont think think that even starcraft works on vpc.
  6. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

Dec 8, 2003
    You sure its a 8mb S3 card? The Trio came in 4mb versions ;)

Virtual PC will not run practically any game. Case in point, I was hoping that it would run Final Fantasy VII, since I had a freaking original Pentium when that thing came out. Requirements are like 133MHz pentium, and without video acceleration like 200MHz pentium. So... Needless to say, if there ever was a game that should run, this would be it.

Dual 1.8GHz G5 with 1.5GB ram- game doesn't run worth a darn. It would be playable, but expect the 40+hour game to take 100 hours.

Funny thing is that obviously Microsoft COULD make Virtual PC run better, they are using it to emulate xbox games on 360. And from what I hear, something like a single 1.8 or dual 1.8 will be as fast as the stupid 360. So microsoft just doesn't care about VPC on a mac. They are doing it to make money, not satisfy customers.
  7. TheGimp macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    anywhere, usa
    Virtual PC 7 allows up to 16MB allocated to PC VRAM. On a dual G5 with more than 512MB allocated to Windows 2000, 2D turn-based strategy games run acceptably fast, but no 3D ones nor fast 2D actions games except for emulator games doing, for example, Neo Geo Metal Slug.

That's it. Virtual PC is just a tool.And not a very big one.
  8. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I ran Starcraft on an old 8600 using VPC when Starcraft first came out and was not available for Mac. It was really slow, but it keped me satisfied till the Mac version came out.
    I definatily wouldn't recomend VPC for games though.
  9. aznspyder macrumors member

Oct 24, 2005
    California and Bangkok
    VPC 7 could barely run WinXP as it is! It took me 2 hours to install the OS into the program and even the mouse in it lags. So, if you want to play games, just buy a cheap PC or, better yet, a Sony PSP.
  10. jakel macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2003
    A few months back I got Roller Coaster Tycoon running on VPC on my 400 mhz G3 ibook. I thought the gameplay was actually pretty decent given the oldness of my computer.
  11. DrNeroCF macrumors 6502

Sep 2, 2004
    Try Windows 2000 instead of XP. Roller Coaster Tycoon is perfectly playable on my 1.6 PB, using 2000 it even runs on the family iMac.
  12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    I second that. Win2K is more responsive than XP in VPC.
  13. Sic macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Southampton UK
    ran counterstrike 1.6 at 3fps on a 12" pb in VPC :D
  14. JDar macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    And I have to third that. Win 2K is a bargain to purchase compared to other Windows versions (got a cheap legal disk from Amazon) and the DeLorme mapping programs run quite acceptably under VPC.