Would you buy a 12" MBP ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ozontheroad, Oct 18, 2006.

?

Would you buy a 12" MBP ?

1. 12" MBP

71 vote(s)
    83.5%
  2. 13" MB

14 vote(s)
    16.5%
  1. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

Is there any chance/indication that Apple will eventually release a 12" MBP ?

I know that there's the 13" MB... but i never was a fan of the iBooks and I'm not very impressed with the MacBooks.

I prefer the metal finish of the MBP and specially the keyboard plus dedicated graphics and mate screen.

Back to the Title of the post: Would you buy a 12" MBP if available or would you go with bigger models?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Poll Please. But no as I've just got a Macbook, i'd consider it if i didn't have an MB already but it depends on the cost/weight saving, the old 12" PB wasn't much lighter than the iBook so it probably wasn't worth it.

3. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I dont think that a 12" MBP will ever be available. A 13" maybe but more likely 10-11" widescreen and no i wouldnt as i want a MB

4. ozontheroad thread starter macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

Done

What do you think of the new keyboard?

I ask because the MB that I've seen on display seem to be falling apart.

5. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i'd buy a 12inch MBP in a heart beat. I don't like the looks of the macbooks as much as the MBP and the 15inch MBP is just too big. so yeah if apple released one tomorrow i would be up at the store with my credit card ready...

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

An Apple ultraportable would be a hit. The absence of one is what has been preventing my boss from switching from the dark side.

7. ozontheroad thread starter macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

I thought so

wasn't the 12" PowerBook one of the strong sellers ?

8. ceruleanventure macrumors regular

ceruleanventure

I want a 12" mbp for my study abroad next semester, my friends all bought like 15" or 17" Dells for the trip and I think that's a horrible idea for traveling. Those things would kill some one if it landed on them. I've been lusting at 12" powerbooks for months, but an Intel version would rock. I can't believe Apple would ignore such a profitable laptop niche market!

EDIT: Wait, those Dells might only need their ugliness to kill.....

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

As long as it has a backlit keyboard and a discrete graphics chip...

10. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

some people i know would love one of these.

personally i believe it would be better for apple to come up with another model, that is different than a MBP for the slim laptop. ie wait for santa rosa chipset and come out with a slimline, ultra power sensitive model.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

12. shecky Guest

shecky

long live the 17" lapzilla.

The One True™ MBP

13. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Same here. I just don't see the point in my spending $1500 or more on a laptop. My MacBook meets all my needs.

14. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I would love to see a 12'' MBP, but I wouldn't buy one, because my 12'' PB does everything it needs to do and I love it.

15. vanzskater272 macrumors regular

16. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

1 - I don't think Apple will ever make a smaller MBP. I think they've finished their lines, and that they see the blackbook as a portable, but professional looking laptop, and that diminishes the need for a smaller MBP.

2 - If they ever DO decide to make a smaller MBP, they'll never go with 12in. I think Apple has abandaned the square screens and will be sticking with widescreen from now on out - all of their laptops are widescreen.. why would they have ONE square lappy?

17. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

Not now, as my 12" Powerbook will be fine for portable duties for a while. After then, it's exactly what I will look for in a laptop.

David

18. scr macrumors newbie

It would be a nice move to at least have one pro notebook that is not widescreen. I bet a lot of photographers would like that idea.

So, yeah, I think an MBP 12" is gonna be a hit, although I wouldn't buy it.

19. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I love the size of my 12" PB but just wish the screen resolution was higher. If they'd make a smaller MBP with a widescreen and backlit keyboard, I'd be sold. Although, my PB still goes for ~$800 so I'm not too sad that they haven't come out with one (still has a good resale value).

20. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the macbook would be every bit as good as a 12"mbp but cheaper. a little less weight wouldn't justify the supposedly much higher prize.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Its not the weight that's the problem, its the size. It is noticeably larger than the 12" PB. Even friends who have the MB want it the size of my 12" PB.

22. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't think the existence of the 13.3" MB rules out a smaller MBP. After all, the old 12" and 14" iBooks co-existed peacefully with the PowerBooks.

Since Apple's sales have gone well, I think there's a chance they could expand further with a ultraportable MBP. The aluminum PB/MBP are simply nicer machines with more expensive casing and design, and have upgraded graphics, etc.

I own a 1.33GHz 12" PB and am very happy with it. The portability is a bigger benefit for me than extra screen real estate.

23. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If it ever came to be, it sure would be widescreen (1280x800).

Wouldn't buy it though, as this MacBook Pro 15,4" is all I need.

24. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Lmao.

I want an 11/12/13 MBP like some other people. I'm not too particular about the size as long as it has an optical drive and is smaller than the 15". I could see Apple doing an 11.1" widescreen, but as for when.. who knows?

25. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

There will never be a 12" MacBook Pro. They completed the laptop line, so don't expect any new models.