Would you buy a 15" retina right now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jasonamyers, Dec 26, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I keep reading posts about the screens in the 15" retina. Would you buy a 15" retina right now?

2. macrumors 6502

I got my wife one for Christmas (she was a Windows hold-out for a long time, so when I got the chance, I took it :D ). Her system is fine.

3. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Of course, I've owned a rMBP since its release and love it. I cannot recommend it high enough. Its a great computer :)

4. macrumors 68000

hi maflynn,
    so you are free from the dreaded 'image retention' issues i feel i've read so much about on these forums?

5. macrumors regular

If I had the money to buy rMBP I would probably wait until next update. But maybe if I had the money to buy rMBP I wouldn't care much and could as well buy it now.

6. macrumors 6502a

mankar4

tens of thousands of these units are being shipped and their users are overwhelmingly satisfied. The macrumors crowd (myself included, probably) is a small subset of the population that tests for perfection. Most people who do have IR on their screens don't have problems with it on a daily usage basis. So, yes, I would and have (for my mom) bought a 15" rmbp.

7. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

If needed....

why not? That is a expensive laptop, so, potencial buyers have to shell out a nice amount of cash. If not needed, maybe the next generation of Intel chips bring significative improvements. And Apple does a better job with the screens....

:):apple:

8. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup, no problem at all. Remember, that most people don't come to MacRumors to say everything is ok but rather for support and help so while there may be a number of people complaining about the screen that's not indicative of a widespread problem. There are many of us who have 0 problems with their screen and laptop

9. macrumors 68000

elpmas

Yes I would. My brother has one and he wouldn't have it any other way lol.

10. macrumors regular

Bought one a few weeks ago. This thing blows any other machine I've used out of the water.

Zero problems here. Ran all the tests (image retention, dead pixel, etc). This thing is perfect.

11. macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Sure! If you need it now, then buy it now. :D If it's an itch, then I say wait and use your current setup. Whatever that may be since you don't need a new computer.

12. macrumors 604

If I needed a new laptop and had oodles of money I'd buy one.

13. macrumors 68000

jetjaguar

14. macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Have it, love it, would buy again. The screen is amazing and I've had no issues. And, the speed of the machine is amazing.

15. macrumors member

I don't buy one,my sister is using one,she loves it very much.

16. macrumors newbie

Love my rMBP. Not only is it beautiful, it is also easy to use and powerful. As Steve said, "it just works" and it works beautifully. :D no regrets

17. macrumors member

Yes and no.

Yes because it's the best laptop for Apple now and it puts the poor valued MBPR 13" to shame

No because in June Haswell MBPR will be arriving. No cosmetic changes will be made probably so just a slight price drop and better specs.

If you need the best specs wait and go with Haswell, if you think the specs with Ivy bridge are good enough stay with the 2012 Retina

IMO the MBPR 13" and MBA will benefit the most from Haswell since the integrated graphics will be much better then

18. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I have the 15" rMBP now and love it - coming off 4 Airs over the years.

will await next June's update and if it's a significant upgrade then I'll flog this one and buy the new model.
    if not, I'll keep this one for 3 years.

it sure is a sweet machine :cool:

19. macrumors regular

buy it

This is the best computer I've ever used (and I've used many PCs and Macs). The retina display is even more amazing than advertised and has a bigger impact than on a phone or tablet. Beyond the display, everything works so perfectly, smoothly, and quickly. Apps open instantly, track-pad gestures and screen are perfectly synced. It is just so pleasurable to use this computer.

Of course, if you don't need a new computer, wait - like any new model prices will either go down or you'll get more for your money. However, I doubt those changes will be radical and won't be until June regardless. And yes, it's expensive. But I have zero regrets.

20. macrumors 6502

I wouldn't right now because I don't want or need one and for me the retina display would be overkill. Maybe I'd buy one if I won the lotto though. In fact if I win the lotto I'm going to buy an iPad Mini, 12 core Mac Pro, rMBP, iPhone 5 and who knows what else? :D:apple:

21. macrumors 65816

obviously you've never owned or tried one, and you're not a saver.

if you were, the rMBP is easily affordable :rolleyes:

22. macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Just bought 2, 1 for my wife and 1 for son-in-law for Christmas.

There aren't any other better MacBooks on the market are there?:confused:
    Not sure why I wouldn't choose that, I'm not a wait for a year and see if something else comes out that is 2% "faster" kind of guy. If I need/want it now, I'm getting it now.

23. macrumors 6502

I tried one last time I was in the Apple Store and I have no need for one at the moment. It is a nice-looking machine though. The machines I was talking about are what I would buy if I won the big jackpot on the lottery. I guess a girl can dream, huh?

24. macrumors 65816

ain't never gonna happen girl ;)

25. macrumors 6502

It might one day, who knows? :p