Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasonamyers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
I keep reading posts about the screens in the 15" retina. Would you buy a 15" retina right now?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Of course, I've owned a rMBP since its release and love it. I cannot recommend it high enough. Its a great computer :)

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Of course, I've owned a rMBP since its release and love it. I cannot recommend it high enough. Its a great computer :)

hi maflynn,
so you are free from the dreaded 'image retention' issues i feel i've read so much about on these forums?

Elijen

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2012
If I had the money to buy rMBP I would probably wait until next update. But maybe if I had the money to buy rMBP I wouldn't care much and could as well buy it now.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
tens of thousands of these units are being shipped and their users are overwhelmingly satisfied. The macrumors crowd (myself included, probably) is a small subset of the population that tests for perfection. Most people who do have IR on their screens don't have problems with it on a daily usage basis. So, yes, I would and have (for my mom) bought a 15" rmbp.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
If needed....

why not? That is a expensive laptop, so, potencial buyers have to shell out a nice amount of cash. If not needed, maybe the next generation of Intel chips bring significative improvements. And Apple does a better job with the screens....

:):apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
hi maflynn,
so you are free from the dreaded 'image retention' issues i feel i've read so much about on these forums?

Yup, no problem at all. Remember, that most people don't come to MacRumors to say everything is ok but rather for support and help so while there may be a number of people complaining about the screen that's not indicative of a widespread problem. There are many of us who have 0 problems with their screen and laptop

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Bought one a few weeks ago. This thing blows any other machine I've used out of the water.

Zero problems here. Ran all the tests (image retention, dead pixel, etc). This thing is perfect.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
Yes and no.

Yes because it's the best laptop for Apple now and it puts the poor valued MBPR 13" to shame

No because in June Haswell MBPR will be arriving. No cosmetic changes will be made probably so just a slight price drop and better specs.

If you need the best specs wait and go with Haswell, if you think the specs with Ivy bridge are good enough stay with the 2012 Retina

IMO the MBPR 13" and MBA will benefit the most from Haswell since the integrated graphics will be much better then

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
buy it

This is the best computer I've ever used (and I've used many PCs and Macs). The retina display is even more amazing than advertised and has a bigger impact than on a phone or tablet. Beyond the display, everything works so perfectly, smoothly, and quickly. Apps open instantly, track-pad gestures and screen are perfectly synced. It is just so pleasurable to use this computer.

Of course, if you don't need a new computer, wait - like any new model prices will either go down or you'll get more for your money. However, I doubt those changes will be radical and won't be until June regardless. And yes, it's expensive. But I have zero regrets.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
I wouldn't right now because I don't want or need one and for me the retina display would be overkill. Maybe I'd buy one if I won the lotto though. In fact if I win the lotto I'm going to buy an iPad Mini, 12 core Mac Pro, rMBP, iPhone 5 and who knows what else? :D:apple:

halledise

macrumors 68000
I wouldn't right now because I don't want or need one and for me the retina display would be overkill. Maybe I'd buy one if I won the lotto though. In fact if I win the lotto I'm going to buy an iPad Mini, 12 core Mac Pro, rMBP, iPhone 5 and who knows what else? :D:apple:

obviously you've never owned or tried one, and you're not a saver.

if you were, the rMBP is easily affordable :rolleyes:

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Just bought 2, 1 for my wife and 1 for son-in-law for Christmas.

There aren't any other better MacBooks on the market are there?:confused:
Not sure why I wouldn't choose that, I'm not a wait for a year and see if something else comes out that is 2% "faster" kind of guy. If I need/want it now, I'm getting it now.

OnceYouGoMac

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2012
In front of my Mac
obviously you've never owned or tried one, and you're not a saver.

if you were, the rMBP is easily affordable :rolleyes:

I tried one last time I was in the Apple Store and I have no need for one at the moment. It is a nice-looking machine though. The machines I was talking about are what I would buy if I won the big jackpot on the lottery. I guess a girl can dream, huh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.