Would you buy a 2.33Ghz 15" MBP right now for...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by suneohair, Jan 31, 2007.

  1. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #1
    $2130 new?

    With leopard and maybe led backlit display coming up. Would it be a good idea to wait.

    Yes I do have time. Although I want a computer. Honest opinions at the possibly of an update soon. Thanks! :D
     
  2. pianoman macrumors 68000

    pianoman

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #2
    we've been told Leopard will be out in Spring 2007. we are also waiting for iLife '07 which, according to many, should've been released already. the LED displays are a rumor - Apple has said nothing of them (as far as i know).

    if you can afford/don't mind paying for the Leopard and iLife upgrades, get it now. if you don't want those upgrades, get it now. if you want the upgrades and don't want to pay for them, wait.
     
  3. phungy macrumors 68020

    phungy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    Location:
    FL/NY/TX
    #3
    If you need it now, get it!

    If it was $2130 brand new after tax and shipping, Yes!
     
  4. Reflow macrumors 68000

    Reflow

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    NJ/PHL
  5. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #5
    Brand new?

    Well maybe, otherwise not a chance.

    The current crop of LCD screens suck by the way, even though I own a 2.33 MBP I am holding my breath for the next update to see how much of an improvement LED backlighting will bring (and hopefully higher resolution displays thanks to Leopard).

    In summary, I am prepared to sell mine and upgrade at a significant loss if the next crop of LCD screens are that good.
     
  6. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #6
    How does the OS have anything to do with having a higher resolution display?
     
  7. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #7
    Resolution independence in Leopard could bring about higher res displays, since you would be able to blow an app up for your viewing pleasure.
     
  8. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

    CANEHDN

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2005
    Location:
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    #8
    I'm waiting. I'm going to wait and get iLife '07 and Leopard and the MBP upgrade. It's going to be soon. If you're like every other Mac geek, you'll regret buying now when upgrades to so many things are so close. I'm the same as you. I have the cash in the bank but I'm just going to sit there until all the upgrades are available.
     
  9. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #9
    Well let's just see what's on the table.

    1. Santa Rosa (likely)
    2. DDR3 memory (likely)
    3. Leopard (likely)
    4. Flash booting support
    5. LED backlit screens (probable)
    6. Magnetic Latch (not so likely)
    7. Improved GPU (likely)
    8. Redesigned case (we can only hope!)

    I wouldn't buy this late in the game. I bought mine largely because I needed it months ago, but with so much potential upgrades for the next bump I will probably upgrade again depending on what Apple delivered.
     
  10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #10
    Eh it isn't too late to buy a MacBook Pro. In March, then you should wait. But we still havn't crossed the 6 month mark which usually means we have some time before it will be updated. Keep in mind the Mac Pros, Mac Minis, and then the iMac are next in line before the Laptops.

    They were released about 3 months ago... thats not very long ago in the Mac universe. For that price I would grap it up.
     
  11. andyadler macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2007
    Location:
    New Orleans, La. USA
    #11
    Well, I recently bought a refurbed version of that configuration for $2,138, so if you can get it new in the box that would seem to be an excellent deal. But I needed my machine NOW; no time to wait weeks/months for whatever comes afterward. Getting a C2D instead of CD was my most important criterion, so with that satisfied I pulled the trigger -- and am very glad I did.
     
  12. L3X macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2006
    Location:
    Chesapeake, VA
    #12
    if you need it now, get it. If you just want one (which i do) i would wait. Save your money, be patient and in a few months time, maybe we can all enjoy a new MBP with Leopard, ilife 07, and iwork07, etc...

    i know it's hard to wait...:rolleyes:
     
  13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #13
    i thought the 2.33 GHz MBP is $1999 refurbished which is as good as new. and they have them quite often so you might as well wait because there could be an update. and you always can get a similar deal later.
     
  14. w8ing4intelmacs macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    East Coast, US
    #14
    $1999 + TAX (pretty important because it's over $100)

    But don't forget the quiet upgrades that refurbs often have (extra memory, larger hard drives, etc). Not guaranteed, but it makes it kind of fun :)

     
  15. EGT macrumors 68000

    EGT

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2003
    #15
    If you need it, definitely go ahead because they are blazing fast, sleek machines, but if you're not stuck without a machine, not a chance. They're going to do some radical things as mentioned above with the MBP in the not too distant future.
     
  16. nc7r macrumors member

    nc7r

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    #16
    I never thought there was much of a 'good time to buy' with technology, especially Apple stuff.

    It's so fast moving that whenever you buy, give it 3 months and you'll probably have an old model!

    I'm from the UK (I gathered this is a mainly US forum?) and I think that we're lacking behind as well. I mean rumours of when the iPhone is to launch over with you guys (Mid summerish) it's going to be nearer the next winter for us!

    If Leopard will be out with you in Spring 07 then will it be with me around then? I hope so.

    I'm getting a Mac Book Pro for University in September but wouldn't mind getting it quicker, however I'm in the same situation as you - do I buy now and feed my cravings, or wait until September - and have a possibly better machine.

    I don't think that iLife is much of an influence on me, as software is much 'easier' to get hold of then hardware as it were, so the price of that doesn't influence me one bit. It's whether there'll be any major technology upgrades eg Better webcam, LED lit screen etc.

    I think that's the whole reason for why I'm on here really. Doing my research!

    :) Nick
     
  17. fillz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    #17
    I'm in the same exact boat. There's a refurb 15" C2D 2.33 Stock MBP right now going for a really good price and seeing as I just sold my old iBook, the itch to hit the buy button is super strong, but updates are most likely less than a month away.

    Thing is, the only reason I'm still thinking of getting this deal now, is that when the updates do come out, the refurb models of those updates won't appear for at least two months after, so I'd obviously be paying Edu discount price, but it would be like 200 - 300 more than the current top of the line machine (refurb). Oh decisions, decisions.
     
  18. nc7r macrumors member

    nc7r

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    #18
    Is it that there's worldwide updates, or US then like 2 months later, UK updates?
     
  19. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #19
    :confused:

    Updates are always worldwide. You livin' under a rock? :D
     
  20. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #20
    How much is the 2.33 15" refurb when its in stock? Its not there now.
     
  21. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

    Texas04

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2005
    Location:
    Texas
    #21
    I bought the first crop of MBP's when they came out. 2.0GHZ 1GB of ram, Yesterday I was messing w/ tracks in Soundtrack Pro, editing in Final Cut Express, and burning a DVD all at the same time. They were all different projects, as well as having the mail and iChat apps open. It sill worked without a SINGLE hiccup! It was perfect.

    They are really great machines, and basic law, if you need it now, get it now..

    The age of my Mac according to Coconut Battery... 12 Months... But I love it! :D
     
  22. fillz macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2003
    #22
    Oh, forgot to mention, I'm in Canada, so I was looking at the Canadian store. And I just checked again and of course it's sold. It was a good deal :(
     
  23. phungy macrumors 68020

    phungy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    Location:
    FL/NY/TX
    #23
    Good thing I took a screenshot before they all disappeared.
     

    Attached Files:

  24. nc7r macrumors member

    nc7r

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2007
    #24
    Kind of. The ****-hole of the UK. Also known as - Halifax. :p
     
  25. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

    greenmeanie

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2005
    Location:
    CT
    #25
    If it is a software update I could care less and buy it now. But to wait around for 2 months more and possibly not get a macbook upgrade or some small upgrade would stink when you could of been using it right now.
     

Share This Page