Would you buy a 60GB iPod video now?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by crazydreaming, Feb 22, 2007.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Looking for a little advice from fellow mac folk... (I hate these treads, but here I'm am doing it)

New iPod video (a warrantied, replaced by apple one), 60GB, warranty until June of this year, with iTrip, wall charger, and a case.

$210. I know it's a good deal, but are we still far away from another iPod update?

Thanks

2. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

What kind of update could make this iPod obsolete?

Nothing wrong with having 2 ipods.

3. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

How much video do you plan to watch on your iPod? Even if the new 6G iPod comes out looking just like the iPhone interface, you still have a really nice iPod.
    If you simply have to have the new one, wait for it. Or buy now and sell it on ebay to fund the next version.

4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I just bought a 60GB refurbished by Apple via a reseller for $239 - so my answer is yes. If the Apple warranty expires later this year, it's probably still eligible for AppleCare as well.

It all depends on what you really want - for me the priority was the highest capacity that fits within my budget (which was $250). The screen is fine even though the new iPods are "60% Brighter," the software is identical to the 5.5 Generation iPods, and maybe the battery life is a little worse, but I can't really tell. And, there are already people selling Apple OEM "60% Brighter" LCDs on eBay, so if you're really feeling adventurous, you can replace the screen yourself.

Yeah, there's always going to be a newer, cooler, iPod in the pipeline, but they all still play music (which was the purpose for which I wanted mine) and as a bonus you can watch a movie as well. I'm surprised by how many features on my 60GB I'm not using.

So, if having the latest and greatest is important to you, then wait for the refresh (which could happen anytime between now and November). Ditto if you really think you'll be watching a lot of movies on your iPod (since I'll wager the next revision will be the "true video" one) or want to wait and see if the OS X "lite" from the iPhone makes it into future iPods. But if you want to predominantly play music, take a good deal when it comes along.

5. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I'm going to wait until they've finished improving iPODs before buying one - and do the same thing with computers, and cars and clothes and sticks...

:D

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Always depends on your needs but I am waiting for the real widescreen video iPod with at least 80GB before I upgrade my 4G 20GB iPod.
    If you need one now, get it, it is a good deal. If you still have a working one that you're content with, wait.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Depends

I have the 60GB video model. It's great. I am hoping/expecting we will get a full widescreen 640x360 with iPhone type interface by summer. It really depends on why you want one now. If you want it more for video and you can live without it 'til later then wait. On the other hand you can probably sell the one you have in mind for not much less than you need to pay for it now so in that case don't wait.

In other words - make up your own mind and have a nice day. :D

8. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I seriously think that a full-screen video-capable iPod is not coming any time soon without a major breakthrough in battery technology, and a huge price drop in flash memory.

You can't have an 8GB iPod with videos on it. Come on. My 30GB 5th gen iPod is nearly full with 3000 songs and a couple of seasons of south park.

A 16GB iPod wouldn't suffice either. I want my iPod to be the thing I dump my entire library in without having to manage space. How much do you think a 30GB flash-based widescreen iPod would cost?

That kinda sounds like a rant. I didn't mean it to sound like that.

In short, buy the iPod. Worse comes to worse and Apple releases a full video iPod, you can sell the 60GB on eBay and not lose much, iPods really hold their value.

9. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Thanks for everyone's input. I'M BUYING NOW!

I'm sick of not having an iPod or any music in my car aside from the radio.

10. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

haha, that's a good question. one i've been pondering myself.

my solution to it:

i ended up buying a 2G orange shuffle for now. it holds quite a bit of music and is a cool little gadget. now... if/when the widescreen ipod comes out, i will definitely pick that up. that way, i have an ipod to use while jogging/working out... and i have one that has my entire music collection on it and can play movies.

11. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I was just about ready to buy this iPod after the seller finally got back to me, but I found out that it is no longer covered under warranty. Would you still buy it if it doesn't have any warranty for $200?

12. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I would wait and buy a new one when it comes out.:)

13. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

That is looking like it's going to be a ways off

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I would not wait around. I mean why? Will the new ipods play music better somehow?