Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
looking for a nice little laptop. Mainly a toy. It will mostly be used for internet surfing, storing photos, mp3, keeping up with bills, etc... Probably wont be used for any gaming, but might get a game or two (nothing too fancy)

I found a used Ibook locally for what seems to be a good price and wanted some advice before buying.

Ibook G4
1.33ghz
1GB Ram
40gb HD
OS X Tiger
CDRW/DVD
Microsoft Office + Photoshop CS
all CDs and boxes
Perfect condition (no scratches or dead pixels)
laptop sleeve

all for $600. If you were me would you jump on this? Or should I wait it out and get a Macbook? I dont think I really need the speed of a Macbook (again this mainly a toy to play around with), but I like the idea of having XP on the machine if I need it. But is that worth the extra $400-$500 ??

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
$600 - no.

For $400 or less, yes.

I personally find the G4s seriously lacking, other than the available 12" that you cant get with a MacBook.

Granted, as all Apples tend to do, they hold their value, but in this case, its barely justified.

It doesnt have a superdrive, and I can only assume it might have Airport....

But it does come with Adobe CS, though unless its CS2, its not that great cuz CS3 is about to be released.

Id save up for a newer machine, or look for something cheaper.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I wouldn't pay $600 for it when refurbished MacBooks are only about $200 extra and are far superior.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I was going through the SAME thing you are. I need it for commuting and my current windows laptop gets 1.5hours until dead battery.

Looked at the 12" ibooks, but today I bought a 1.83 CD macbook, it was only 799 w/ free shipping.

Thought I had a line on a 400 ibook, but they were out. Then I looked at powerbook 12" for 500ish, but it was the early model that could only have like 1/2 gig of ram. So I went with the macbook, get dual boot if needed, easy upgrade and the resell value will be great.

Good luck

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
For what you listed as your needs, i'd say yes. The price is a bit steep. Maybe you could talk him a bit cheaper, say 400-500 or so. My main computer is an iBook very similar to the one you're looking at (in fact, a bit slower). Gets most everything I need to do done. I say "Most Everything" because I'm a video/audio editor and the iBook doesn't have the horsepower to handle that kind of stuff with any sort of professional speed. I'll be looking into a Mac Pro for that as the need arises (i'm a student). Other than that, it handles my day to day activity's without a hitch. The only thing i'd worry about in your case is future proofing. Apple is going to start phasing out software support for the G4 line in a few years. It's most likely that you won't even notice this, as it shouldn't affect a user with your needs, but keep it in mind. It might be worth it for you to spend the extra money getting a machine with an up to date processor that you know will have support for many many years to come.

Cheers

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
well I think he is set on $600, but I got him to throw in some more software. Dreamweaver, Virtual PC, and some more stuff....

After taxes it will cost me almost $900 for a refurb Macbook, and that is not the Duo2. I heard the first ones have a serious over heating problem and that scares me a little. So basically Im thinking $600 for this and all the software vs. $900-1000 for one with no software....???

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
well I think he is set on $600, but I got him to throw in some more software. Dreamweaver, Virtual PC, and some more stuff....

After taxes it will cost me almost $900 for a refurb Macbook, and that is not the Duo2. I heard the first ones have a serious over heating problem and that scares me a little. So basically Im thinking $600 for this and all the software vs. $900-1000 for one with no software....???

The macbook will have all the software that all macs come with. You're getting Dreamweaver, Photoshop CS, and Virtual PC extra with the iBook. Virtual PC doesn't run all that well on an iBook honestly. If you think the software package with the iBook is worth it then go for it. I haven't heard of an overheating problem with the macbooks. As far as I've heard they run quite cool. In my opinion, if he's not going to drop the price down to 500 or less, it's really not worth it. For some more money you'd be getting a much superior machine.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
For what you listed as your needs, i'd say yes. The price is a bit steep. Maybe you could talk him a bit cheaper, say 400-500 or so. My main computer is an iBook very similar to the one you're looking at (in fact, a bit slower). Gets most everything I need to do done. I say "Most Everything" because I'm a video/audio editor and the iBook doesn't have the horsepower to handle that kind of stuff with any sort of professional speed. I'll be looking into a Mac Pro for that as the need arises (i'm a student). Other than that, it handles my day to day activity's without a hitch. The only thing i'd worry about in your case is future proofing. Apple is going to start phasing out software support for the G4 line in a few years. It's most likely that you won't even notice this, as it shouldn't affect a user with your needs, but keep it in mind. It might be worth it for you to spend the extra money getting a machine with an up to date processor that you know will have support for many many years to come.

Cheers

I don't think Apple has come out and said they will be ending support on XXXX XX XX date. It might be safe to assume one day it will happen. But I believe only about 20-30% of the Apples on the market are Intel, it wouldn't be a smart move to just phase it out until it was well over 75%.

Oh yeah, I wouldnt buy it at $600, even at $400 I wouldnt. The Intel Macs are just too good to pass up. Even if it requires more money, it will last you longer.

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
well I know everyone is telling me no, but for some reason Im leaning towards yes. LOL....

I think it might be a good learning expierence for me without spending a ton of money. I really dont want to spend $1000 right now on a toy. I think if I can get him down to $500 or so Im gonna jump on it. Someone mentioned it will be really outdated in a few years... Well I dont mind updating in 2 years if I really enjoyed the Mac. Im sure in 2 years the MB will be old technology and people will be saying get the XXXX... By then my son will be a little older and maybe this will be a good toy for him (lol, he is only 6 now)... and I can get the newest greatest thing....

I think the software, 1gb memory seems minor but its quite nice to me. Its something that would cost me hundreds of dollars to add to the MB, so in reality the MB would cost me well over $1000

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
here is what he said on the software

The Macromedia Full Studio 8
Photoshop CS
Toast
iWork
Microsoft Office
Virtual PC (with windows 2000)
all other typical Mac programs

Of course, there is Bluetooth, Wireless Card, Ethernet and Phone Modem, 2 USB ports, Firewire Port, Mini DVI out, and 3.5 headphone jack sound out.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
well I know everyone is telling me no, but for some reason Im leaning towards yes. LOL....

I think the software... Its something that would cost me hundreds of dollars to add to the MB, so in reality the MB would cost me well over $1000
The iBook is not worthless, it's just not a great value at this point.

And you still haven't answered the important question:
Are these all boxed and official copies of the software? If not, they are worthless.
That means, licensed versions (complete with a unique serial or key) on their original media (CD or DVD), all that hoopla.

Think about it... if not, then you'll be using illegal copies of the software and worse (to the user, you), if there was ever a problem and you had to re-install an app or the OS, then you risk losing those apps.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
If the software is not the original copies with the serial numbers you are getting ripped off.

You can go onto some places right now and get them for free. Effectively making a Macbook the same price, not costing you hundredes.

And if you think by him including what is probably illegal software is ok for you to buy, you are mistaken. And as soon as that hard drive dies, which it probably will, you will lose all of that.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
I don't think Apple has come out and said they will be ending support on XXXX XX XX date. It might be safe to assume one day it will happen. But I believe only about 20-30% of the Apples on the market are Intel, it wouldn't be a smart move to just phase it out until it was well over 75%.

Very true. I was just pointing out that every processor architecture gets phased out eventually, and while the market does have a majority of PPC machines at the moment, the G4 and G5 are very much on their way out, especially considering apple no longer sells them. :)

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

Oh yeah, I wouldnt buy it at $600, even at $400 I wouldnt. The Intel Macs are just too good to pass up. Even if it requires more money, it will last you longer.

It took Apple exactly two years to discontinue OS support for the last 68k. The PowerBook 190cs was discontinued in 1996, and Mac OS 8.5 broke 68k support in 1998. So if that's a rule of thumb... the last PowerPC was discontinued in August of 2006, so lets shoot for whatever OS is released on or after August 2008 as the cut-off for Mac OS support (aka 10.6).

AppleWorks continued to run on 68ks a little longer... until version 6.0 (2000) and QuickTime also continued to run on 68ks a little longer... until version 4.1 (late 1999) so lets say QuickTime, iWork, iLife, and Safari would survive until around 2010. That should give a solid 4 years of service out of the last G5s, and would put G4 iBooks between 7 and 5 years old.

I would buy a G4 iBook though. Just probably not at $600. Pre-installed software doesn't impress me because I wipe clean every system I buy anyway (even my Mac Pro) and reinstall only what I want.

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
well I just emailed him back asking if they are legal copies or pirated. I hope they are legal... well see what he says

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
well I just emailed him back asking if they are legal copies or pirated. I hope they are legal... well see what he says
Sigh. You don't get it. Maybe the seller bought them legally, doesn't mean that when s/he leaves it on the iBook that it is legal for you to have and use there.

Ask if the original media comes w/ the software, as in, the install discs and all that.

00bolt

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2007
okay, he said he is a student at Purdue and they are all legit copies with discs. He bought them discounted for real cheap and just bought a few of them.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
I certainly wouldn't buy a G4 iBook unless it was really really cheap. They're just not worth the prices that they continue to command.

johantheolive

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
I have the same model iBook (w/ a gig of ram), and if you intend to run Win XP via Virtual PC or some other program you'll be dissapointed. I've tried it before and it was awfully slow, unusable in my case. I bought mine new at the end of 2005 (I personally wanted a PPC processor before they phased them out). It's a good machine, but the macbooks are *supposedly* that much faster, and (imo) they're nicer. As others said, if you can get the price down a little than it may be worth it, but it seems almost like you're buying the system for the software rather than the hardware.

Also thought I might add that I played WoW on my ibook and it ran OK. Didn't look gorgeous by any means, was quite laggy in cities, but it was certainly playable. COD also runs sufficiently, although I've not touched anything newer.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I have the same model iBook... It's a good machine, but the macbooks are *supposedly* that much faster, and (imo) they're nicer.
*cough* Not supposedly. Are.

I just, like, as in, early-mid February, sold my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 and got this 2.0GHz MB. It is just gorgeous. It's so much faster. Runs just as cool (a big deal to me :eek:) and the wifi reception in my iBook? Loads better than my 12" PowerBook and loads better than other people's lappies... but the MacBook's wifi?! Shames the iBook.

I <3 my MacBook. :D

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
It seems a little steep on the price. Also, if you don't plan on using a lot of those applications, then they aren't worth the price. You can get this computer brand new from MacMall for 699 w/out taxes etc. His is likely a few years old and will show some wear and tear. If you really want to be dealing with a lot of the iMovie etc, go with one that has a dvd burner. If you don't see yourself making movies, go to ebay and buy maybe even a slower one at half the price. You will be able to run iTunes and use the internet fine on a machine in the 800mhz-1ghz range.

I think the iBooks will take a big price drop when the new OS comes out. Even though they will be able to run it.

I would say keep looking for a better deal on craigslist, or ebay. Maybe keep trying to save up money for a few months and then get a used macbook for the 800-900 range.

I am currently looking at a macbook cd 2.0ghz, 1.25 ram, superdrive, microsoft windows xp, parallels, office, and a few other apps for 850 for 768, or 900 w/1.25 ram. There's no reason you couldn't find a deal similar or better in the next few months. Look at it this way also, he is probably looking to sell it for that much so he can upgrade to at least 2x as fast macbook for a few hundred dollars.

johantheolive

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2005
*cough* Not supposedly. Are.

I just, like, as in, early-mid February, sold my 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 and got this 2.0GHz MB. It is just gorgeous. It's so much faster. Runs just as cool (a big deal to me :eek:) and the wifi reception in my iBook? Loads better than my 12" PowerBook and loads better than other people's lappies... but the MacBook's wifi?! Shames the iBook.

I <3 my MacBook. :D

I was considering doing the same. Just out of curiosity, how much did you ditch the ibook for?

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
One reason i can think of to buy an older ibook would be for the built in dial-up connection port that is not available with the MacBooks.

$600 is a steep price for a person who would be looking for a quick cheap apple laptop that only needs to do the basic Oma/Opa internet surfing/email/and the occasional dvd watching/cd burning.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I was considering doing the same. Just out of curiosity, how much did you ditch the ibook for?
"Sold" it to ifixit.com for $550, yeah I might have gotten more for it on eBay, but this way I had no headaches, no hassles, they paid for shipping, and I got a nice pretty check. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.