Would you buy a G5 now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ibookhelp, Oct 11, 2006.

  1. ibookhelp macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2005
    #1
    just wondering. i'm a graphic designer who primarily uses adobe cs2. i have an old dual 800 g4 quicksilver as my workstation which is bogging me down. i'm interested in buying a mac pro (more future proof), but have found a used dual 2.5 g5 for about $1500. what would you do? thanks.
     
  2. macaddicted macrumors regular

    macaddicted

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Down on Copperline...
    #2
    It would certainly be a step up. You could "rent" the G5 for 6-8 months (or whenever CS3 comes out) and probably only loose a couple of hundred dollars at most. If you are doing work that is processor intensive you could probably make that back in time saved or in billables.

    My only question would be how much ram does it have. As we all know Adobe apps love lots of ram. If you have to add ram that is obviously going to be an added expense. But other than that I see little downside.
     
  3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

    thejadedmonkey

    Joined:
    May 28, 2005
    Location:
    Pa
    #3
    For $400 more, you can get this from the apple store (refirb)

    Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon processors
    1GB (2 x 512MB) memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
    250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive
    16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory

    EDIT: Forgot about roestta emulation though..
     
  4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #4
    I'd make a business case -- similar to what MacAddict said. How long do you think realistically it would make you happy? How much would it be worth at that time? Can you quantify any benefits to yourself that having the nicer computer gives you? Or if not, once you take into account what you'll recoup selling it, is it worth it just for the pleasure?
     
  5. ibookhelp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2005
    #5
    thanks for the replys. i agree with what macaddicted said about "renting" the G5 until cs3 came out. plus, leopard could be out by then as well. btw - the g5 has 4 gb of ram which is appealing. i'm just not sure if the step up would be worth it from my current g4. i guess i could wait, but that also means loss productivity, depending on speed increase. plus, i have no idea what the resell value could be on the g5 down the road. as you can see, i'm all over the map.
     
  6. macaddicted macrumors regular

    macaddicted

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Down on Copperline...
    #6
    I went from a G4 400 Mhz to a G5 1.6 Ghz about three years ago. I was working primarily as a freelance production artist. It was a significant jump, and your jump will be significant as well. Work that once took an hour took about 20 minutes simply because I could run PhotoShop so much faster. Somehow I forgot to tell my client how much more quickly I was working, so my increased billiables helped to pay for they system.

    Since you are still using a slower system I can only assume that you don't feel the need to update often. A G5 system will continue to be a good design system for a awhile. You could easily get a year or two out of it then upgrade to the intel system. When I was running on desktops I would usually buy a step or two below the bleeding edge model. My G5 is actually a refurb.

    I would seriously consider the G5, wait until the next generation or two of MacPros has come out and pick up an intel system then.
     
  7. ziwi macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #7
    Sure - it will be worth it for the Adobe stuff - and the cash you save would add Ram to it for the CS stuff.

    I may look at the refurbs as well in that range, but the G5 should last for a few years as a useable model.
     
  8. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

    zero2dash

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2006
    Location:
    Fenton, MO
    #8
    I think once CS3 comes out, G5s will drop in value dramatically. I think honestly that's the only reason they're holding value...because people in the industry rely on CS2 and it runs better on a G5 than a MacPro for the time being.

    I'd say get a G5 only if you're going to hold onto it for awhile and you're not looking to "borrow" it. Because again I think once CS3 is released, you won't see a high dollar value for that G5 that it carries right now. I'm not saying that the release of CS3 spells the end of days for the G5 line, I'm just saying - from a value standpoint - they will most likely bottom out because most people will upgrade to MacPros then.
     
  9. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

    ®îçhå®?

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #9
    go with the G5 and get a MacPro later on when the Rev B is released so that all bugs etc are gone and you can get an awesome computer.
     
  10. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

    Cloudgazer

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2005
    Location:
    RSA
    #10
    Excuse the newbie question, but surely CS2 isn't the only reason people are still using G5s?
    Are all other pro-apps been upgraded?

    another question is the only reaon people are gonna buy CS3 because it will run better, or that the app has actually been improved dramatically?
     
  11. ibookhelp thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2005
    #11
    i guess my dilema is buying old technology now, knowing that cs3 is around the corner as well as the next revs (well eventually). however, i don't like playing the waiting game. i don't need cutting edge technology either, but my computer is my livelihood. good point that the g5 will decrease in value once cs3 is released. the question is, by how much? this deal sounded decent, so i wanted to get peoples' thoughts. the bonus is that it still has applecare for another year. i'm not sure of the reputation on the dual 2.5 though. but, knowing (somewhat) what the future instores, i'm wondering if i should just wait & get by with my dual g4. will the g5 be that much faster with my adobe apps to justify it?
     
  12. jTreu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    #12
    a G5 tower would be fine for the next year or two imo.
     
  13. Shadow macrumors 68000

    Shadow

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2006
    Location:
    Keele, United Kingdom
    #13
    Put it this way-I'd be happy for a G5! It could replace the dodgy HP on my desk!
     
  14. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
  15. viperguy macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    #15
    Your only problem will be reselling it in the future... PPC macs already had a big price fall (due to not being able to run windows), can't imagine what might happen in the future...
    But if you can deal with that, go for it

    Edited: And answering the thread question, I wouldn't
     
  16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #16
    I would certainly buy a G5 now for the right price. But I don't think $1500 for a dual 2.5 is the right price.
     
  17. FF_productions macrumors 68030

    FF_productions

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    #17
    I don't see a problem in getting a Dual G5, it's going to be one hell of a jump up from what you have now.

    Thing is, the Mac Pro 2.66 Quad is almost as fast the G5 Quad with Photoshop tests that I've seen. And yes, that Mac Pro is running under Rosetta.

    I'd future proof myself and get a Mac Pro.
     
  18. dmw007 macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #18

    This would be my advice as well. :)
     
  19. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #19
    If you are heavily invested in PPC software, then a G5 is still a great machine
    if you find one reasonable enough.

    However, I'd try to locate a dual core 2.3 GHz PCI-express model.
    and avoid the liquid cooled 2.5 DP or the 2.7 DP
     
  20. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

    Chaszmyr

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2002
    #20
    A Mac Pro would probably run CS2 as fast or faster than your G4. If the Mac Pro is out of your budget, I'd get a 24'' iMac. I would not buy a G5 now.
     
  21. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #21
    CS3 will be Universal Binary, so why would a G5 have any problems?
     
  22. jamesi macrumors 6502a

    jamesi

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Location:
    Davis CA
    #22
    the G5 will last you for a couple of years easily, the jump from a G4 is termendous, im definitely sure it will wow you. 4 gigs of ram is ridiculous, a better video card would be pro. by the time you have to upgrade your G5, you will have gotten so much time and work outa it that you wont worry about the cost. all imo
     
  23. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #23
    I'd rather buy an iMac for that price range, and everyone here can attest to how much I hate iMacs.
     
  24. jamesi macrumors 6502a

    jamesi

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Location:
    Davis CA
    #24
    i do remember seeing the intel imacs beating the G5s in several benchmarks....
     
  25. ascender macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2005
    #25
    If the money is right then why not buy a G5? It'll be significantly faster than what you have just now and second hand Apples are always worth something, albeit the price will take a bit of a hit over time. But you'll always find a buyer for something like that.
     

Share This Page