Would You Buy a PowerBook Right Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by LaMerVipere, Mar 22, 2005.

1. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    I am extremely apprehensive about clicking the 'submit' button on my order for a new 12" PowerBook after these (seemingly) widespread reports of "issues" with the new PowerBooks' trackpads on all models. Also, some type of clicking noise on the new HD's is also being talked about? I'm hoping to replace my dead iBook, and so it would really suck to have to take my new PowerBook back a day or so after getting it.

I know there's never a guarantee of getting problem-free machine, but it sounds like maybe there's too many unresolved issues floating around. :confused:
  2. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    if i needed a new laptop, and i had the money, then yes i would buy a powerbook
  3. quidire macrumors 6502

Aug 11, 2004
    Washington DC (in Kalorama Triangle)
    I have a Rev D PB12. It seems to be working quite nicely; as my gf has a Rev C, I have a control group ;-)

I am statistically irrelevant, but there you have it.

4. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    I am typing this on my 12" Rev D PB and moving the pointer around with the trackpad. The scrolling function is wacky in FireFox, but in Safari it works like a charm. I love my PB and would not settle for anything less. Oersonally, i think that you should click submit your order and join in the euphoria of PB owners everywhere... :)
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Remember that you'll generally only hear about the negatives on forums like this (assuming that's where your apprehension has developed). I'd go the PowerBook, knowing that there's a very high chance you'll get a good one. They're up to Rev D so by now they should be pretty damn reliable! :)
  6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    I think I remember hearing that the clicking noise issue only comes up with the 100GB BTO models. And even then, I wasn't sure if it was an actual problem or if people just weren't used to the noise of this particular model of HDD. But, I have no direct experience with the rev. Ds myself, this is just what I remember reading here.
  7. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    I've got a Rev. C and if i could do it all over again (i mean, if i had money running out of my ears) i would buy a 17" Rev. D. No doubt about it...
  8. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Go for it

I have a 12" Rev. D as my signature shows and I have never had any issues with the trackpad or HD noise. The HD in this laptop is actually much more quiet than my previous 12". I am actually selling my 12" right now to get a 15" to use for web design work. If you are interested you can check out the thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=116634 for more info. But, I would say by all means go for a powerbook now. The only reason I could see waiting at this point would be if Tiger is a big issue for you. Other than that, no reason to wait in my opinion.
  9. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    The HD noise was only with the 100GB drive, and someone already reported that they switched to Hitachi from Seagate and the noise is gone.

Wait for Tiger and buy. :)
  10. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    Just placed my order today...
    Can't wait for it to arrive today..
    Couldn't wait for Tiger's release... who knows when it'll be...

15" 1.67Ghz Powerbook w/superdrive w/128Vram
  11. minesgeek macrumors member

Feb 25, 2005
    anytime you need a mac, you shouldn't be afraid of the next upgrade or in the case of apple, poor maintenance or poor design. i think that reading the forums, you get a skewed view of the actual prevelance of problems. nobody likes to start a thread about how their rev d works great. people were saying they had tons of problems with keyboard warping and overheating with previous revisions. i have had no problems with my rev c for almost a year.

the only other time i would wait would be if there would be situation where an upgrade would greatly affect the daily use of that machine.

once you get it in your hands, you probably will have no regrets but only happiness (like me!)
  12. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2005
    Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
    I have had my 12" rev. D for a month and a half and have never had a trackpad glitch of any kind. So far I have not had any issues to speak of. Go ahead and click submit you know you want to.
  13. Pismo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2002
    I didn't hesitate a second on buying my new 15" 1.67 GHz PowerBook. It's replacing my 4.5 year old 400 MHz G3 PowerBook. If you're worried about problems with the PowerBook, buy Applecare later down the road. It'll give you extra piece of mind.
  14. LSS macrumors member

Mar 18, 2005
    in your world
    I ordered the exact same setup last week. Didn't have the patience to wait for Tiger. :D

The sad thing is that I live in Finland and the delivery will take a while. :(
  15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2004
    Avon, IN
    Congrats! That is a very nice setup you have ordered :) I hope you get it as soon as possible so you can start to enjoy the beauty of the powerbook in its full splender!
  16. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Click Submit:)

Click submit:) Any issues will be taken care of. I realize they are an inconvenience but they are not as widespread as you would think. They are great little machines and will treat you well assuming you reciprocate. The 12" is a compact, well built laptop and you will not be unhappy with your decision. Good luck and enjoy the new PowerBook.
  17. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    Yea... i can't wait..
    I got 2 * 1GB sticks of ram sitting on my desk waiting to be used...

I will enjoy it... I just sold my 1Ghz 15" Al PB ... and i've been on withdraw (without a Mac) for two weeks :eek:
  18. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Yeah the harddrive noise is just the noise Seagate drives make. I ordered an OEM Seagate drive and put it in my Tibook and I get the noise problem. It sounds like the harddrive is failing, but that's just the disk going into "Shock protecting idle mode" or whatever it is. And OSX makes it worse because the disk's default idle is too short and thus the disk goes idle, then OSX writes some log files, disk goes idle again, log files, idle... it just makes the noise more constant than on a Windows machine.

An OS update or firmware update would be a quick fix, so it's not a hardware issue and whether it's a problem is mainly up to the preference or opinion of the user
  19. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    Just buy it. The new revision just came out and they won't be updated for some time. As far as the trackpad/hard drive problem. I hear the hard drive noises are are only a real issue with the 100GB hard drives. If you get a trackpad that doesn't work, just bring it back to apple. It will only take them a week at most to send it out, repair it, and send it back. I think thats a risk i would be willing to take for such a beautiful and powerfull machine.
  20. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    As on eof those who's 12in pbs was affected by the trackpad glitch, yes, it does suck. I am on my second one now and while it is starting to demonstrate some of the symptoms of the bad trackpad, I have decied to hold onto it a while, to see if apple releases some sort of firmware or software fix.

be aware of the issue to be certain, but don't let that be the only factor in whether or not you get one. there's not really any stats on what % of units are affected, but it does not seem to be a huge percentage. On the whole, it is an AWESOME machine.

good luck with your purchase!
  21. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2005

I would and I did. Just got a new 15 inch powerbook. Works beatifully. Trackpad is awesome and the contructing and attention to detail is well...flawless. I pondered over getting a powerbook for 6 months and am so glad I did..worth every penny.

Flaws come up, but the current line of powerbooks are on their 4th revision and rock solid in my opinion...but I aslo was using a HP before ..thank God for Apple :D
  22. VintageVixen macrumors newbie

Jul 14, 2004
    San Francisco
    Buy it, you won't be sorry!

I've had my 15" PB, for around a month now. I have had no issues with the trackpad, the new scrolling feature is quite nice to use. Though, I have the 100gig HD and I do notice that plunking sound everyone is talking about. But, I don't find it to be a bother, its not a sound that freaks me out at all, oddly its rather soothing. Call me crazy, but that is my opinion.

I waited two years, playing the 'wait for the update' game. I'm so glad I went ahead and made the purchase. Unfortunately, my friends aren't so thrilled...they can't pry me away from my machine!!! :rolleyes:
  23. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    12" pb

I purchased a 12" PB (see my sig) about a few weeks ago and I don't have any issue. I kept the OS X at 10.3.7 as it came out of the box (I did not update it to 10.3.8, even though my other 15" PBs are running on 10.3.8 without a hitch). No track pad problem whatsoever. I like the two-finger scroll thing very well as it makes it easy to view websites and big files which require scrolling). It does not run hot (but, I use Targas cooling pad) and I have not noticed any fan noise so far (actually all of my 3 PBs does not make loud fan noise (but again, they are all sitting on Targas cooling pad).
  24. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I wouldn't worry so much, but if it helps you with peace of mind, then
    go to the Apple Store nearest you and have them boot up your new
    PB before you leave the store and have the technician check it over
    for any problems.