Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
I've been considering selling my (non-color) 20 gb iPod because I lust after the Minis. But, the back of my iPod is engraved wtih some mushy phrase (it was a gift from the hubster). I know it's going to affect resale value a bit, but just how much? How much do you think I can get for a non-color, 20 gb, engraved iPod that has 18 months of AppleCare left? Do you think I can get enough to cover a new Mini? The engraving was SO sweet, but I will definitely not be engraving any iPods I buy in the future. :p

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If it's got mushy engraving on it, it's personalised and maybe should be kept?...

Meh, if you want to sell it, fair enough, but I wouldn't personally pay all that much for an already engraved iPod if I was in the market, however, it depends on what is actually engraved as to how much value is lost.

Of course, the AppleCare may cancel this out though. :)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Well, if it says "To [pammyspyce], with love", then you're going to have to find someone who really doesn't care one way or the other. If it just says something generic and sappy, like "To my dearest sweetie", then I'd wager you're more likely to find someone who is willing to use that to their advantage.

Me, it'd knock the price down a bit, but so long as I was sure it wasn't stolen (the big worry with obviously personalized iPods), I'd still probably buy it for, say, a 10% discount off of the unengraved going price for that model used. Can always buff it out, after all.

How 'bout having a look at eBay for an idea of what similar engraved iPods are gonig for?

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
It's pretty non-specific. It says, "entangled... me with you and you with me... forever". That's how we always ended out emails to each other when we were dating. So that may be in my favor. I may try eBay. I noticed eBay has been slow this last week or so, though. I listed a few Apple related things and only sold one (and for a pretty damn low price at that). Maybe I'll wait for Christmas time. It would still have a over a year of AppleCare left. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
pammyspyce said:
It's pretty non-specific. It says, "entangled... me with you and you with me... forever".
Wait while I hold back my food... That's one of the thoughts I had when I got my Ipod 20GB with or without engraving. I decided not to do an engraving because it would drastically affect the resale value. Most keep it for sentimental reasons, but beyond that, I believe Apple knows that people who do engravings will likely tend to hold onto their old iPods. Why else would they market the engravings so heavily?

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Some people might consider it if the price is very very cheap. Other wise, no...

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Another problem with an engraving like that is for a person to buy an iPod with that engraving, it would have to be pretty cheap. Otherwise, imagine showing off the iPod to your friends, you'll be the laughing stock in your social group.

And you really can't buy an iPod like that and give it to your special someone. That would reek of total non-class. So mushy engravings like that sort of live in a limbo state.

pammyspyce

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 29, 2005
Bay Area, Calif
Well, we were talking about it tonight and it looks like the engraved iPod will become our back-up harddrive for photos and such and I will just get a new Mini (without engraving). I might sound rude, but I'm not going to save an iPod forever just because it has the engraving. I have at least 50 Hallmark cards signed that way and hundreds of emails. Our wedding cake server is also engraved with it. So to keep an MP3 player for the engraving seems silly.

Let this iPod be an example... engraving can ruin resale value!!

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I would pay $180, if I had the money that is. I could care less about the engraving, plus if someone comments about it you can make up a crazy story about a hooker and a midget at a bar (With a Priest and a Jew of course) ;)

I would buy a engraved 20 GB iPod over a new 4 GB iPod Mini without out thinking twice, but like I said, no money.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Put me down as another who would not buy it if it had ANYTHING engraved on it. It's one reason why I didn't have anything engraved on mine... I know at some point I will likely be selling it to someone else (when I get something newer), and I don't want any engraving to get in the way of that.

L

Lau

This is probably ridiculous (price wise especially) but would it be worth having the back case replaced, and keeping the back? Then you get to keep the sentimental bit, and sell a beautifully unscratched iPod for a lot more cash (well, unscratched on the back) :p . I don't know if the extra cash you'd get would be worth the price of replacing the case though, to be honest.

Anyway, just another option. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.