Would you buy a xServe as a desktop machine?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Vlade, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    If the next macworld brings us some new dual 2.4-2.6GHZ G5's and no new towers, would anyone here get one of those instead of waiting for the next desktop lines? I am curious if anyone here has ever used an xServe as a desktop machine, and if so what its like.
  2. alset macrumors 65816

Nov 9, 2002
    East Bay, CA
    My understanding is that they're very loud. I would never replace my tower with an XServe. I would get one for my web/ftp server, if I had the cash; not worth it for replacing a desktop.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    And people are bitching and moaning about the cost of HD upgrades in the current PowerMac G5 or the limit of 1 optical drive.

The XServe puts a bigger crimp in the optical drive by making you use the slot loaders. :eek:

And the price of the drive carriers for the XServe. :eek:

Probably lack of ADC video cards, don't see them worrying about supplying an ADC card there yet.

You can still get the rack mounted RAID for the PowerMac G5, and the Server OS if you wish.

Now that the machines have moved past OS 9 bootability, some of the features that made the XServe a better machine have narrowed with the desktop.

Of course you do get the handy dandy DB-9 serial port with the server, and the VGA video card. :rolleyes:
  4. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2003
    Connecticut, United States of America
    I wouldn't do that for sure. But I think apple has gotta do something about their xserve. Whos is gonan buy their outdated g4 xserve nowdays???? Either bring it up to g5s or discontinue it
  5. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    They can't discontinue it. It is their only real corporate machine.

Now they need a solution that can compete (and probably beat) MS Terminal Services - that is where the real money is.
  6. joelypolly macrumors 6502

Sep 14, 2003
    Melbourne & Shanghai
    I would get one for a main machine simplying coz its small but its too expensive at the moment to really be an option
  7. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    Hmm, considering the sound a single X-Serve makes is that similair to 5 hairdryers, no I wouldn't consider replacing my fanless iMac for something that could take off if not bolted down ;)
  8. JFreak macrumors 68040

Jul 11, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    it's totally designed for rack use, and i'm not talking about the noise. has anyone found out how long the thing is? the front panel sure is pretty, but check the specs - at least i don't have room for a +70cm (28inch) deep monster on my desk...
  9. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    Or, you could actually use the x-serve as your desk :p
  10. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Mar 20, 2003
    Because not every application needs the very latest in processor technology. When blade servers first came out, you had some companies jumping on the bandwagon to sell them, while others decided to wait until bus technology improved. When you have a very slow bus and you put all these blade servers on it, they are mostly waiting for something to do. Some companies used them because they didn't need raw processing power, so it worked out for them. The same holds true for the x-serve and most 1U servers. If you want a lot of processing power, you don't buy a 1U server.
  11. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    We use a couple of Xserves at my work, and they're gr8 at what they do: File/Print services, Mail server.
    By chance I was able to get (very cheap) a second hand Xserve from a company which made the switch to the dark side. Didn't know what to do with it really, as I already own a couple of Macs, but I just wanted to have one. :)

But, OMG... WHAT A NOISE
    I knew the fans were loud, hearing them at work, but once one of these is turned on in your peacefull little living room.... oef!

Fun to have, but a headache to switch on! :D