iPad mini Would You Buy An iPad Mini 2 If It Didn't Have A Retina Display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by John55455, Feb 24, 2013.

?

Would You Still Buy An iPad Mini 2 If It Didn't Have A Retina Display?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. No

119 vote(s)
    82.6%
  1. macrumors member

Poll->Title.

I wouldn't. The only thing holding me back from buying an iPad mini is the "horrible" screen. I have a Retina MacBook Pro, iPad 3, and an iPhone 5 - I can't use a non-retina screen any more.

2. macrumors 6502

We've been using screens with a lower pixel density all our lives, and most people still use non-retina displays on monitors at work, at home, on phones, tablets and laptops. I have an iPad 4 but I'm glad I can still use other resolutions.

3. macrumors 6502a

Probably not unless it has a much higher resolution than the current screen.

4. Guest

no.

I'll keep using my iPad 1 until it does.

5. macrumors 6502

duggram

Only if it had a processor as good or better than the iPhone. I still don't understand why they put in a processor two generations older than the iPhone, in the original mini. They could put a retina screen in it and if no better processor I still won't buy it. I've stayed with my Kindle.

6. macrumors 68040

I am not buying it regardless since I have the current one which will do. The next one will be heavier and the turnaround to sell and then buy the new one is going to surprise some people.

7. macrumors 68040

thadoggfather

I think the market is gonna be flooded with 3's and minis once 5 and mini 2 drop.

Maybe 4 as well but not nearly as much

8. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Probably not as there would be little reason to switch over the current mini.

9. macrumors 6502

SeanR1

If it had more RAM I would buy it.

10. macrumors 65816

A6 and more RAM is a higher priority for me. I have the iPad 3 and while the screen is nice its pretty overrated. While there is a noticeable difference between it and my Motorola Xoom, I have no problem switching between the two.

Besides retina is likely to introduce longer charging times and poorer performing battery.

11. macrumors 6502

Not too biased, are we? Haha...just kidding.

I'm in agreement with you in that I would not buy a Mini 2 without retina. Seems like a given that the Mini 2 will have retina. I can't imagine a keynote sales pitch on RAM and CPU.

12. macrumors 6502

nope...already have an ipad mini 1

13. macrumors 68040

chrf097

Yes. The Mini doesn't need one.

I've spent a lot of time looking at the screen and really it doesn't actually need one. Its not 100% as clear as the retina iPad but its miles head the original iPad in terms of screen quality. If you had to compare to the retina screen its like, only a few inches away from the quality.

14. macrumors 6502

iPad mini 2 without retina isn't really an upgrade. So meh, I won't buy one.

15. macrumors 6502a

skippymac

I wouldn't buy one anyway because I'm poor and if I do have any money in the foreseeable future I'll be upgrading to a new MBP.

But more to the point, not having a retina display would be enough to stop me buying a mini, unless it either came down a fair bit in price or its specs got a big bump up to iPad 4/iPhone 5 standards...

To be honest I can't see myself ever buying a small iOS tablet while it has to compete with the subsidised nexus series. 10 inch is a different matter however.

16. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Depends on what the rest of the specs are and the price. I wouldn't buy one based solely on a retina display. While it is an important part of the tablet, it is not the only factor for me.

17. macrumors member

+1

I want performance and RAM for processing camera RAW files on the move - the retina display will eat performance and drain the battery.
    Cameras also weight a lot, so my ipad2 is taken under sufferance and the mac book 11" air is taken even less frequently.

18. Corax, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

macrumors 6502

Corax

2 generations older than the current iPhone? You mean 1 generation older than the current iPhone.
    (I'm not counting the iPad's A*X versions)

19. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

Put 2gb in and I'm sold.

20. radiologyman, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

macrumors 6502

Had every iPad including 4 but skipped mini. Can't go to lower res and slower model just because its smaller. Now give me mini with retina screen that has higher ppi than iPhone 5 and I'll buy it on day 1!

21. macrumors 68000

TyPod

If I didn't have my first gen iPad mini I would definitely buy one if it didn't have a retina display. The current screen doesn't bother me one bit. It just would be nice to have a retina!

22. macrumors 65816

I would buy if the processor caught up a generation or two with the frontline Apple devices. I have seen what 2 years did to the experience on my iPhone 4; I would hate to think how the Mini would be 2 years from now, when it started off being 2 years behind the pack from the get-go.

23. macrumors regular

They won't go beyond 1 gb.
    Processor wise,I expect it to get a6 and not latest gen.

24. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

Surely the next ipad mini will be Retina. But there is no way it's getting released before Fall.

25. macrumors 6502

g0odfr1end102

Got the Mini, love it, and haven't had ANY problem WHATSOEVER with the screen. As a side note, I have a rMBP and an iPhone 5. If the 2nd Gen mini has retina capabilities, I will consider switching, but will most probably wait for the 3rd gen