Would you buy an iPhone without 3rd party Applications?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CrackedButter, Jan 14, 2007.

Would you buy an iPhone without 3rd party Applications?

1. Yes, I am happy with the phone in its present state.

61 vote(s)
  2. No, I want 3rd Party software on my phone (give example)

35 vote(s)
  1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    Who here would be content with buying an Apple iPhone with just the applications we saw in the Keynote. If nothing else was ever added, would you still buy the phone in that current state?
  2. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    if they say it runs OSX, no matter how strip down that OSX might be, it HAVE to run some third party apps. otherwise, its not a OS
  3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Apple NEED to allow 3rd party apps. Even if it is sensored by Apple (ie all apps need to be sent to Apple so they can post them onto the website or iTunes for download). This couls be the breaker for the iPhone. They need to be able to read Work and Excel for sure, also PowerPoint that you could connect to a projector via wirless would be so cool!
  4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

Sep 8, 2005
    London , UK
    I would like 3rd party apps but its not a deal breaker for me.

Il be mostly using it solely as a phone and iPod replacement
  5. wozzlewoozle macrumors regular

Jan 3, 2005
    Unless apple puts out some word/excel/powerpoint compatible readers or editors... (e.g., stripped-down iwork for iphone?) I think there will be some who will stick with their old fashioned smart phones and crackberry's.
    So if they don't allow third party apps then they had better get developing....
  6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Um, shouldnt there be an option for not buying the phone at all. ;)
  7. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    If people aren't able to hack the iPod to install 3rd party apps, then there is no way I will be getting one. But then you can run Doom on your iPod, so I remain hopeful. :D
  8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Jun 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm already planning on it. It's going to do everything that I need it to do. I don't need it to open Word documents, I have a computer for that. I don't need it to have multiple programs that I'll never use that will just bog it down. The iPhone is great the way it is.
  9. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    yeah, i like that options, $500 with a limited functionality and fixed with cingular for two years, eventually pay $3000 in two years? need to think it over. i think im too poor for that.
  10. gavd macrumors 6502a

Jan 30, 2006
    I'd buy one in its present state without any third party apps, but then I'm not really a smart phone user.

I have no need to view Office docs or anything like that so for me, the iPhone does what I'd want it to do.
  11. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    While I would. I would like -- Not need -- Salling Clicker type functionality. Interesting enough, it would be easy for Apple to do such. I'll be putting that tidbit to them as soon as the iPhone feedback page is posted. Otherwise, I'm cool. :)
  12. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I am happy the way it is. Although 3rd party apps would be nice.
  13. JMax1 macrumors 6502

Oct 17, 2006
    Harlem, NY
    Do you really think that in the next 6 months they won't let any 3rd party apps be created? Of course they will! Relax and be patient! A lot will happen within the next 6 months that we don't know about. i think it's common sense that there will be some. The blackjack can, why not the iPhone, especially since they want it to be better than all the others out there.
  14. psychofreak Retired

May 16, 2006
  15. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Apr 8, 2006
    Sometimes here mostly there
    everything depends on what actually will be software package on final version. I want VOIP, and dont care if its gonna be iChat or Skype:cool:
  16. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I personally would buy the phone in its present state. To me functionality is the most important aspect of a phone. I've been waiting for ages for a really good phone to come along and here it is. To go along side that, I finally have a reason to use my address book and calendar. No phones that I know of work with OSX.

I'm fine with iTunes, iPhoto mini. Its iPhoto mini that I'm most interested in anyway as I had wanted a portable image bank as well. Now I can go to my University using it as a mini display instead of bringing my laptop.

To summerise:

I'm happy to purchase it without 3rd party apps because it works, it works with OSX and it has iPhoto mini.
  17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    3rd party apps aren't a deal breaker for me.

I still might wait and see a second revision, though, for a few other features (3G, wireless syncing, etc), and just the obvious fact that first revision products always need time to get the kinks out.

But, who knows. :p
  18. ChristianGalli macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2007
    IPhone without Skype worthless for me

I am living in Europe and traveling a lot between different EU countries. I need to a have a voip app on iPhone otherwise it is completely useless for me. I think a lot of SME business users in Europe rely heavily on apps like Skype. I can't see why Skype or an application like JAJAH shoudn't be on iPhone.

Apple, please put Skype on the IPhone and open IPhone for 3rd party apps otherwise I am no buyer for it.
  19. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    voted no.

Wardriving would be cool with that thing, i doubt apple will provide.
    Or an app that lets you use this as a Photoshop tool selector when connected to the computer. And many more cool ideas ;)

The need for 3rd party apps would be less on an iPhone nano, which i would then by over the way to expensive real iPhone :).

I need to go to bed, can't even read my own post.
  20. NicP macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    Third party app i would like: Adium

Also VoIP would be nice :D

The phone won't be in Aus until 2008 anyway, add that to no 3g (HSDPA support), no GPS, what looks to be limited 3rd party app support, and a crap camera (if you're going to bother with a camera I'd at least like a decent one and a flash)
  21. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

Nov 21, 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Apple have ruled out 3rd party apps. They have just said that any software would have to be approved and distributed by Apple.

So there is no 'free market' of 3rd partry apps, but that does not mean there will not be (m)any.
  22. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    I'd only consider buying one if there's an ssh client available. Being able to connect in to work whereever I am would be very useful.
  23. pianojoe macrumors 6502

Jul 5, 2001
    N 49.50121 E008.54558
    3rd party apps are locked out of the Cingular version on purpose (Skype et al.). I'm sure we'll see many new features once the unlocked EU version hits the shelves in fall.

As much as I'd love to switch from my Treo 680 to the iPhone, I enjoy, and would really miss
    • vibration alert
    • modem
    • my own ringtones
    • video rec., even if it's not good
    • Bluetooth syncing
    • 3rd party: metronome, tuner, pro drum machine
    • working on word and excel docs on the go
  24. MacCheetah3 macrumors 6502

Nov 14, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    While speculation, I see 5 of your 7 being addressed by Apple. The last two, not so much.
  25. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006