Would you buy this 2Gb iPod Mini?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jamdr, Feb 26, 2004.

1. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

If this 2GB iPod mini cost $199, would you buy it? This is always how I thought it should look. Let me know what you think.

UPDATE: I quickly created some different styles for my version of an iPod mini 2GB. Don't you think this thing has promise? The snap-on covers could come in metallic and plastic styles, with stripes and other patterns. It would be a flash player, so no moving parts, but would probably have to cost $199. The kids would buy these right up!

Attached Files:

2. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

no. for a lot of reasons. obvious one being that the 4GB iPod mini should already/will be $199 with more storage very soon.

yours looks ok but it's not practical, mainly because it's not symmetrical. also, you've got these blown way up huge. as it is the iPod mini is tiny, it's the size of a business card. the wheel is as small as it could be without being unusable. i tried one in the store last nite and i had to be very careful with the tiny wheel, and i don't have big hands. the way yours is scaled against it would make it about the size of someone thumbnail. small is nice. too small is just uncomfortable.

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What I'm hoping for is a price reduction in the 4GB mini to $199 and the concurrent introduction of a 2GB mini in the same form factor for $149. What I expect we'll get is a move in the other direction. The 4GB will come down to $199 and there'll be a new 8-10 GB model for $299.

4. UKMacBod macrumors member

I agree - I think the (current) iPod mini should be reduced to $199, however - it looks as though they've sold a lot despite the relatively high price!

5. rfenik macrumors regular

rfenik

I'd definately buy a mini for $199. $250 is just too much considering a can get a 20 gig for $300.

I really want an ipod mini. I've seen one and they look badassssssssssssssssssssss

-ko

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

I really like the mock-up. Did you make it?

I think what wordmunger said was wise: make the 4GB $199 and add an 8GB at $299. That would increase sales a lot, I would think.

7. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Yeah, I made the mock-up. It probably is a little small, but it could easily be made larger. I just think it should be smaller than the current form factor to differentiate it from the regular iPod more. I like the idea of the iPod mini a lot (well, the price could be less), but I've always liked the styling of the original better. So I tried to make the mini look more like the original, only smaller. As for the price, I think it would be great if Apple could offer a 2GB for $149, but if they sold it for $199, they would be more in line with the rest of the industry. For example, Rio sells a 1.5GB player for $199. I would buy it at this price, because I would be saving $100 off the regular iPod price, while still getting the same style. Thanks for you feedback, though.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no... it's neat that you made it... i just don't like the egg shape...

9. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

i wouldve bought a 2gb ipod a few months ago but my music collection has grow to well over 2 gb since then.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Agreed. I wouldn't be caught dead with that thing, no offense. The mini on the other hand...amazing.

11. kanker macrumors 6502

While I probably wouldn't get something like that, I think an iPod with a different shape like that in some fun colors and patterns would be a big hit with kids.

12. cmx08 macrumors regular

funny

u kids are funny. always day dreaming period.

13. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

It's interesting how subjective looks are. Personally, I think the current iPod mini design is far from "amazing," while I really like the look of the original. I was actually thinking that in my design, you would be able to snap off the front cover and replace it with other colored and striped designs. I would stick with the plastic, though. The metal should be reserved for Apple's pro computers. Perhaps my design could use some tweaking. I added the curve to the case because I thought it would be difficult to hold a rectangle of that size, which I thought was the most important factor. A cheaper, smaller, flash-based iPod with removable covers would sell extremely well.

The current iPod mini is also apparently selling well, but I'm talking about expanding the market to kids. Most people who buy the iPod now, and even the iPod mini, are adults or college students. This would be more accessible to high school students and even grade school kids. The covers could sell for $10 and Apple could even start selling downloadable games. I think this would be a good move.

14. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

I think they should make a 1GB flash based pod for $100-150. That's feasible isnt it? They sell 1gb flash sticks, and I don't think they are too expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I think they are too expensive - and why apple didn't go that route.

16. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

do you have any information to actually back up the release of an 8GB 1.0 inch drive or are you just doing some wishful thinking?

tyler

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

It looks really nice. But I think that it could be too small. i mean the iPod mini is already quite small. So I am not sure. For me $199 is overpriced. That would be the right price for the mini which I hope gets soon a 6gig drive. Then I will buy one. iPod mini 6 gig drive for $199.

18. jamdr thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Well, I updated the mock-up and included some new styles. Of course, the original would still be available. Does this change anyone's mind? Think it looks better now?