would you buy this RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Trout74, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Looks good.

But you have to give up your left kidney. :( :p

3. iPlm macrumors regular

Doesn't seem like there's a catch. It's not bad. It's an ordinary Kingston. It has a lifetime warranty, so no worries if it fails... I'm not sure whar are the latency times of other Kingston memory, but 3-3-3 ain't bad. :)

4. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

5. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mac Mini or imac, that i havent bought yet, but will.

Memory doesnt go bad I figure :D

trout

6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Just making sure you're not going to try and double that into a G5 :)

7. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

But if i got he iMac i would be putting it into a G5, but I know what you were saying, you ment PM G5 I assume.

Thanks for the concern and the replies!

trout

8. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Oh yeah, sry. I'm still not use to there being a G5 other than the PM. :)

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

10. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

the spec of that ram is a lot crappier a lot more than 10 buck crappier. I would go with the kinston ram. It a good brand that the specs are pretty good for the price.

11. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

but would it work in an emac though? i wouldnt be using it to its full speed potential anyway and call me crazy but id rather have 10 bucks than marginally faster ram.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Geez, here we go again:

The Kingston ValueRAM (KVR) series are not guaranteed to be compatible with Macs. *Particularly* there are about half a gazillion posts here and on other fora that the KVR RAM is incompatible with the Mini.

No matter what the price, IMO it is not worth the aggravation and the lost shipping charges to buy RAM that the seller does not guarantee in writing is compatible with your model Mac.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Specs, Schmeks.

Faster RAM does not make one iota of difference to the performance of a Macintosh. The Mac memory bus speed is locked down, and Apple says that more aggressive latency also does not make a difference. It is the motherboard that determines the speed of the RAM, not the other way around. Of course, you can't install RAM that is slower than the motherboard because you'll get errors. The only reasons to buy higher specced RAM is if it is cheaper, or if you *know* you're going to move it to another machine in the future.

Will it work in your eMac? Who knows? The seller doesn't say it's Mac compatible. You also can't make a blanket statement "Brand R works" because with generic RAM, the configuration of the module is liable to change week to week.

14. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

apprently some people dont know much about Cas legeic. When you see 4 in there is a BAD thing. higher profomence ram will have 2-2-2. Value ram is genarel 3-3-3 which is not to bad. When 3-4-4 it really crappy ram and it to the point where if will start being a noticble slow down. and this top off with the last number being an 8 which is really piss poor.

I was not even looking at the bus speed. I was assuming it was the same thing. CAS legicy comes into play after the bus speed so even if the ram is PC3200 clock at PC2700 and it can crappy CAS leg it will be noticeble slower than a PC2700 clock at 2700 with a desent CAS legicy. If the ram has a 4 in the CAS legicy specs it just plan crappy ram.

Cheaper is not always better that was also the spec that stood out that I was complaning about.

15. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I hope to God that you are wrong, because I bought some last night!!(

Its kingston, and its the correct specs. I bet you dollars to donuts that it works just fine............I hope.

trout

16. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

update,

cancelled my order!

Now what the heck do I buy?

trout