would you buy this used ibook?? Need help...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mactel, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mactel macrumors newbie

hey folks-

i am having a hard time knowing whether or not to purchase http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5183593210

If you needed a laptop and this was offered to you for $600 what would you do? (see ebay site)

let me know why or why not-- my friend says that the usb 1 will leave me up the creek ... but this seems to have some sweet updates

let me know what you think. let me what you may be tentative about.

any help would be appreciated.
    mactel

2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Can you try re-posting the link?

3. mactel thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, hyperlink above works now...

the plan would be to sell off the third gen Ipod and some of the extras.

4. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

It is a good offer because of the ipod, but if you dont need the ipod you can find a refurb ibook from apple for only $100 more.

5. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Also, older laptops and iPods have older batteries, which typically do not hold their charge as well. An iBook battery from 2001 may only be able to stay charged for, say, 30 minutes in an extreme case. Of course, I have no idea of the conditions of these batteries, I'm just saying in general that's something to be aware of when looking at older portables.

6. mactel thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah-
    i could probably sell the ipod and the extras for about 200-250...

would set the ibook at 350-400 (how about that?)

also, seller claims the battery life is 2-2.5 hours which seems pretty good.

whats difference between the 1.0 and 2.0 usb? does it make a huge difference?

7. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Usb2 is MUCH MUCH faster, I dont know exactly but its more then 5 times faster.

8. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

USB2 is faster and therefore more versatile. It peaks at 480 Mb/s transfer rates, while the USB in that iBook peaks at 12 Mb/s. The former is better for larger external drives, especially. However, in practical terms, the FireWire that iBook has is just as good if not better for most data transfer tasks. Of course, this all depends on whether or not you have, or want to have, any devices that connect to your computer via USB2, or FireWire. Many devices use USB2, but you can get things that connect with FireWire. Some offer both connections.

9. mactel thread starter macrumors newbie

so, would you all recommend staying away from something that doesn't have usb 2.0? am i limiting myself majorly?

of course I am considering this as a graduate student with little $$, a wife and a 6 week old kiddo...

10. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

USB 2 is only important if you use external hard drive or burners, IMHO I wouldnt buy that ibook, I would waste $100 and buy an G4 refurb from apple, MUCH faster machines!

11. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

G3 iBook? 'nuff said. Stay away. I'm sorry to sound so negative about the G3 iBooks, but the problems with them are just ridiculous. I still have, and use mine; when it runs it's fine- but it really isn't a reliable machine. For someone who's counting on it as their primary computer, I would really advise against it, if it's your secondary machine- and you have another main computer to use when it's down it's fine.

12. mactel thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all- we will see i will do- if it were $600 I certainly would not buy it and go with the apple refurb- but once i sell the extras it will be down to at least $400, which is more my speed right now...

does anyone have the specific refurb site? I keep trying to get there and find a page with about 10 items of all sorts...

thanks