Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, Jun 28, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Ok so i slept with my credit card under my pillow waiting for an iMac g5.I was so excited when the apple store said its updating for me.i wait and wait.and bam.new displays.wow no imacs.so i was thinking of buying an ibook and a formac display 12" ibook and 17" formac.bad idea or not so bad.i wont be doing much with it .just looking to switch.let me know.thanks
  2. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2003
    San Francisco, California
    If you won't be doing much with it, just get the iBook with a non-Apple display. Don't wait around for the iMac G5, as soon as it comes out, everyone will be waiting for what's coming next. You'll end up being happy I think, it's a not so bad idea :)
  3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    There is always something better...

If you waited to purchase for the next 'best Mac' you will wait forever. There will ALWAYS be something better later. Often you will get more for less. Its a fact of life.
    I paid over $500 for a cell phone that was the size of a cinder block, had about 45 minutes of battery life, cost 2.55 a minute and that was 10 years ago. Technology changes, FAST.

So, does the iBook with Formac screen meet your needs? If it does, and has some room to grow (it does, you can add devices via FW, and add more RAM) then buy it. What you loose 10 months from now is bragging rights. What you gain NOW is a nice new laptop.

Remember, Macs from 1998 run Panther rather well. Macs from today, we can extrapoate will run new software fairly well in 5 or 6 years as well.

Good luck
  4. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    The iBook is the best value for money for a portable system, sounds like a good buy.

Just remember if you intend to upgrade to Tiger next year the graphics card won't be suported by Core Image. If you "won't be doing much with it" then that probably doesn't matter.
  5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I would agree as well. If your just looking to switch iBook is your best bet becuase it's portable and affordable. eMacs aren't a bad deal either. But if you wait for the next best thing you will be on top for a while and then when something new comes out you'll be upset. The iBooks were recently updated so go for that. Then mabey later down the line you'll want to dish out the big bucks for a better computer. But just for a switch i would reccomend iBook. If not iBook eMac. Those are the best values for the money.
  6. mikeyfern macrumors member

Mar 3, 2004
    The iBook is only capable of video mirroring, meaning the external monitor will be limited to the same 1024x768 as the iBook's built in LCD. You don't gain any more screen real estate, and the pciture might look blurry at that size. For $1099 + $649 ($1748), why not get a closeout 15" Powerbook for $1800? Just a suggestion. I'm actually thinking of getting a 12" iBook myself, but I wouldn't hook one up to an external monitor.
  7. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

May 3, 2004
    Yeah you are probably right about the external monitor.if i do get a powerbook or ibook will i be able to tiger?
  8. mikeyfern macrumors member

Mar 3, 2004
    Any mac you buy today should be able to run Tiger next year. I know Tiger has all these cool new features that'll work great on a G5, but keep in mind Jaguar can run on any G3 and Panther can run on any G3 with built in USB. So I doubt Tiger will require anything that's not standard on today's macs.