would you do it if you needed the money?

Discussion in 'Community' started by anneleonard, Sep 5, 2003.

1. anneleonard macrumors regular

Mar 21, 2003
    Reading, UK (a.k.a. Strongbadia)
    ok here's the scenario:

- you are unemployed, have been for 2 months
    - you've got no money but savings for a deposit on your first house
    - the only other option of gainful employment is supply teaching, when you hated teaching with a passion
    - your only car has just lost its exhaust pipe and Catalytic converter, making it an "economic write-off"
    - there's a job which pays a very good wage
    - its placed just round the corner, you wouldn't even have to buy another car
    - its working for microsoft.

would you take it?

(PS yes i could be in this very predicament next week)
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002

It's a lot easier to have income and look for better job.

Even if it's Microsoft.
  3. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Re: would you do it if you needed the money?

Oh hell yeah.
  4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    You have two choices, become a con-artist or work for MS. Being a con-artist might be more fun but working for MS will get you a lot less jail time.

I would go with MS.
  5. Foucault macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes, destroy them from the inside. We need more mac people inside the "Big Brother".
  6. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

Jan 30, 2003
    Phoenix, Arizona USA
    Hell yeah, and i'd use the money to buy all the apple stuff I ever wanted.
  7. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    As much as I would hate to say it... Working for Microsoft would probably be better for you right now.

Just be sure to take your PowerBook to work with you... :D ;)
  8. Waluigi macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2003
    Turn a lemon into lemonade

If you have to work for Microsoft, take it as a blessing in disguise. You have got to have the attitude of: I'm going to turn this organization around into a consumer-oriented company that actively works for the consumer. If you look at that way, that maybe you can make an evil company into a good, it can keep you sane. No matter how unrealistic that goal actually is.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Given the situation, no real reason not to. What's to say you can't get another job in a year or so, somewhere you like better, if this doesn't work out.

So what would this job be?

And good luck!

D :D
  10. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Is this a joke??!?

Screw morals - screw your integrity - screw values!

Screw being poor!

Plus, working for M$ would not be against my morals or values. :)

11. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    work for microsoft and buy macs and software...get an ipod...buy some great adobe titles ;)

i love macs but fix PCs and am also a microsoft certified professsional because there is more work in the PC sector...some mac fans look at me funny and some think i am a traitor:p
  12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    A job is a job.

Not all jobs are created equal, but as long as it provides a pleasant working environment and pays you well, you'd be a fool to decline.

I agree with the others, though -- take the money out of MS and invest it in Apple products. Oh, the irony!
  13. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Jun 17, 2003
    Corvallis, Oregon
    I'd take the job. Beats letting my wife and kids starve (the ones I don't have).
  14. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    m$ is one of the best companies in america to work for. they take care of their employees and the benefits are outstanding. i would work for them. doesn't mean i would start buying their products.
  15. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
    take the job! as sparkley says, working for them is primo. it's the consumer that they screw.
  16. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

May 17, 2003
    Boston MA
    A friend of mine had lunch with a pretty big executive at Microsoft, as he was a client of his father's, and this executive said pretty much the exact same thing you posted above.

Just because you're working for the devil doesn't mean it has to be working in hell.
  17. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    you could be spying for the devil from heaven thoeretically. I would love to work for m$...they do take care of the good ppl...money is money alright...they way i see it if you can earn it by doing something u like or something thats easy to do why not....your happy and rich instead of righteous and lonely.
  18. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington

I could work for some evil companies (Read: Real Networks), but never M$. I'd rather work at Rite Aid/Wallgreens/CVS/Longs/Bartells that working at M$.

Thankfully, I never had to make my choice, my company was the only one I talked to. They Love Macs, but make Huge UN*X Boxes. Thank God for (Company name Not mentioned due to new security policy).

19. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes, you should take the job. I know from experience that being able to walk to work is a great position to have. Having a good paying job will then allow you the luxury of looking for a job that better meets your needs!
  20. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I would get the job, that will make me more aware of why I have a mac.

BTW, you would be a very good person to chat in that office being a Mac person. I was.
  21. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
    Would I do it? It depends on what the job at Microsoft is. I would treat it the same as any other job.
  22. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Go for it. Nothing feels as good as getting money from people you don't mind taking it from. That is why I love having attorneys for clients. :D
  23. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    yes. i would take it. it is a job and pays. besides you won't have to yse MS stuff at home.

similarly, if M$ offered a H1-B i would not say a no.
  24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Well of course you should take the job. You don't personally hate microsoft, even if you're not a fan of their products. Its not like Microsoft slowly tortured your family or something.

You may find that its the best job you have ever had. You may not like the products, but it may be an awesome company to work for.

Also, maybe you can make the company better. :) It takes a bunch of people with this mentality to do it, thats all.
  25. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Dec 6, 2002
    Washington State University
    Yeah, work for MS. There's nothing wrong with it, they just make an inferior product. That wouldn't stop me from working there. I would gladly take a job at Microsoft just as I would gladly take a job at General Motors, despite my opinion of their products.