Would You Ever Buy a Dell, Dude, After...

Discussion in 'Community' started by pimentoLoaf, Mar 4, 2005.

1. anubis macrumors 6502a

Well, I've read through the first three pages. I don't really see what the guy's problem is. He insinuates that it was ridiculous that the Dell repairman wouldn't replace his motherboard if it didn't freeze up. Is that not reasonable? This is just one example. Doesn't Apple's warranty begin on the date of purchase also?

I bought a Powerbook G4 a long time ago. I had to send it in on four seperate occasions. 2 were for faulty motherboard, 1 was faulty graphics controller, and the other was an extremely broken DVD drive. So, with that in mind, would YOU buy a Powerbook knowing this?

Based on the story it seems that the guy has a really short temper and it wouldn't surprise me if his laptop problems stemed from teh fact that he punched the screen with his fist 3 times a day, and he forgot to mention that in his story.

2. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

It was an entertaining story nonetheless. I definately got a few good chuckles out of it.

3. altair macrumors regular

You work for Dell Tech Support dont you?

4. Apple //e macrumors 6502

what a dumbass

What's your name?"

"It's Daniel, sir. What is yours?"

"It's Joe. Daniel, you aren't an idiot, are you?"

He thought on this for a moment. "No sir, I don't believe so…"

"Okay," I said, "I'm just checking. The last person who confused a Service Tag with an Express Service number turned out to be an idiot. I just want to make sure that, before we go any farther, I'm dealing with someone of reasonable intelligence and not, as you have assured me you aren't, an idiot."

He giggled a little.

I didn't.

"Daniel."

"Yes, sir?"

"I'm not joking here. I have reached the absolute end of my patience. If you are going to turn this entire ordeal into a joke…"

"Oh, no sir. I am sorry, sir. It's just that…"

"What, Daniel?"

"Well, just the way you said that… It was pretty funny."

"Funny, Daniel?"

"Well, yeah. A little."

"Funny… Funny how, Daniel? Like a clown?"

"Oh… Um… Sure, a little."

"Ah. So am I a clown, Daniel? A clown, here on the phone to amuse you?"

"Umm… no sir. I don't think so, sir…"

I paused for a moment, hoping to strike FEAR into the heart of this poor boy. My Joe Pesci was a little off, but it served for this purpose. "Okay, Daniel. My Express Service number is [my Express Service number, which by now I knew by heart]."

5. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

the sad part is I dont think apple has any room to talk about this considering I read more problems coming from apple shiping than I do from dell and Dell ships over 10 times the number of computer Apple does. The numbers just dont add up. Apple has a larger problem than dell does.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I support a large number of Dell desktops and laptops at work and I hate to say it but I have never had much trouble getting support for our stuff, aside from the occasional long "hold" time on the phone (even on the exclusive corporate number). That being said, I personally would never give Dell one penny of my own money just on principle after all the crap the Michael Dell spewed out about Apple...I just coyuld never lok at at6 a Dell monitor next to my PowerMac no matter how cheap it was....oh yeah!

7. anubis macrumors 6502a

Well Duff-Man, that's fine if you have money to burn on "Principle", but as a college student who understands that even a few dollars is a LOT of money, I'll go ahead and keep buying Dell laptops and monitors. After the Powerbook G4 I bought needed 3 replacement motherboards and a new optical drive before having a 4th logic board failure a few days after the warranty expired, it's been nothing but Dell laptops and I've never been happier. I had an Inspiron 8100 that I bought refurbished 3 years ago and never had a single problem. I recently replaced it with an Inspiron 600m with 1.6ghz Centrino, 512mb RAM on one dimm, 40 gig hard drive, 2 batteries, combo drive and built-in wireless, ethernet, and modem and 3 year warranty. It listed at over $1500 but I used a $750 off coupon and a $50 mail in rebate to get it for less than $730. Even the cheapest Powerbook is twice as much as that, and after the HUGE mistake I made buying a Powerbook before, I will probably never buy another Apple Portable for the rest of my life.

Am I an Apple Hater? No, I've been using Macs since the LCII, and I have a Powermac G5 which I love. I had a Powermac G3 for over 7 years before I sold it and I never had a problem with it. Apple laptops, on the other hand, I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Personally, I wouldn't buy a Dell *before* reading the story, much less after it. It was quite an enjoyable read though. I especially liked the part where the author substituted all naughty words with breakfast cereals. I'll have to pilfer that and put it in a story of my own someday. It would have been even better if the author had made an appointment to see Michael Dell in person.

9. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Funny, my iBook was the most sturdy, stable and problem-free computer I've ever owned.

Not agruing or anything, just saying for the irony of it.

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I had no problems with my 12" Powerbook. It is amazing though, one bad experience can make you generalize about the whole line of apple laptops or even dell laptops. On topic of the story, As soon as I heard from the friendle lady that these problems were all so common with the 8500 I would of gotten rid of it and bought an 9100 or 8100. It is a sad thing that happened to this person.