Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beysus

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
I'm debating as well if I should get Apple Care but the tendency is yes. As a student I don't have the money to effortlessly buy a new computer every year and I rely on this machine because of my study so I rather be on the safer side.

If I was you, I don't think I would get it. Depends if you belong to the kind of people who don't like throwing away things easily but since you're kinda well off now, you might as well get a new computer.

To be honest, I wouldn't get it if I had a normal MacBook Pro but the Air seems so much more fragile.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I personally wouldn't get it. I got it for my iPhone 5 because I'm far more likely to drop and break it.

maatae

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
I'm planning on buying a sealed applecare off craigslist this weekend for about $160. Would you guys still not recommend the purchase at the lower price?

excommie

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
Apple offers $300.00 flat rate fix. That's a good alternative for those who did not buy apple care. Also, a lot of people are getting their computers fixed free of charge, even with no apple care. It just depends on your luck.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Apple offers $300.00 flat rate fix. That's a good alternative for those who did not buy apple care. Also, a lot of people are getting their computers fixed free of charge, even with no apple care. It just depends on your luck.

BS. Even with AppleCare, Apple is still quite happy to charge over $1299 to fix a fan.

Source: Personal experience :mad:

excommie

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
BS. Even with AppleCare, Apple is still quite happy to charge over $1299 to fix a fan.

Source: Personal experience :mad:

Well, my experience was different. I got my entire display assembly replaced for free on a 3.5 years old MBP that never had any applecare.

Gunlance

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2012
Yes apple care every single time. Why? The only Mac book I bought was a used pre unibody MBP. The logic board went up and they couldn't fix it within 3 attempts so I got a brand new unibody MBP. That one went tits up due to graphic issues so guess what? I got another new MBP(early 2011 model) for free.

So get apple care for every expensive apple product you buy.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
They don't count the AppleCare as manufacturer warranty? I thought buying computer+AC with AMEX would get you four total years of coverage.

No, I asked AMEX, and it applies only to a manufacturer's base warranty. That said, I recommend calling AMEX anyway in case the policy has changed. If it has, please post here so others will know. Thanks.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
AppleCare is a must on all my Apple products. I have only had to use it once, but that once was worth all the times I have not needed it. I had an iMac 27" that was constantly in the shop for repairs during the 2 years I owned it. During that period I had over $2000 in repairs done to the iMac. Apple finally decided to exchange it for a new iMac. I now have an iMac that is problem free and all because of AppleCare. Better to have it and never use it, than to regret not having it when needed. Spend the money. I talk from experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.