would you guys trust a laptop sleeve?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rjsbass, Dec 5, 2006.

1. rjsbass macrumors member

Hey guys i was lookin around at some sleeves for the macbook and i was wondering if you would trust your laptop in one of those. They seem kind of thin so it it seems like the laptop would be prone to shock damage. thoughts?

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

sleeve doesn't help if you drop it (most of the times) but it does protect from scratches

3. Quboid macrumors 6502

I have a sleeve for my Ibook and it is pretty good. I got it in the same "compusa" store i bought my Ibook.
    I definitly trust my sleeve its sufficiently padded. I can't imagine carrying my laptop without a sleeve.

You mention if we trust our laptop in the sleeve. The better question is....do you trust your laptop out of a sleeve??????:confused:

4. Quboid macrumors 6502

Truth is i saw my friend drop his laptop while in the sleeve and nothing happened. He has a 12 inch ibook (no smart sensor harddrive thingy) and it was cool. So i beg to differ on the arguement of a sleeve not saving a fall (most of the times). OR maybe we need to include how high of a drop:D

5. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

yeah, sleeve is a must have... however sleeve does not replace laptop bag

6. rjsbass thread starter macrumors member

so i was looking at the dakine duel pack which has a 15 inch laptop slit in the back, so perhaps a good combination would be a sleeve + the backpack to copmensate for the extra space?

(i'm trying to find an efficient way to carry around my macbook in a backpack)

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My booq sleeve for by 'book is great, and I feel safer when its bashing round in my backpack at school.

8. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I put my laptop in a sleeve, which is then placed in a regular waxwear messenger bag and my wife uses a sleeve with her backpack. Both systems seem to work well, last year my Powerbook survived a nasty fall with just a ding.

9. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

That only works when it's turned on. The hd is already parked when it's off.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

11. rjsbass thread starter macrumors member

thanks

12. Quboid macrumors 6502

C'mon man that one was funny.....lol
    :D

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Sleeves have saved my PB from many a disaster.

14. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Just make sure that the sleeve has zipper protection on the inside or you'll be sorry :p

15. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

My wife has a huge soft leather briefcase that she carries all of her teacher stuff in. Since it does not have a padded computer area, she uses a sleeve to protect her computer. Seems to work pretty well.

I think the better question is how do you plan on transporting your computer. If you already have a bag/backpack that you use for stuff, then I believe that a sleeve would do well. Just be sure to buy a well padded one.

16. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I use a sleeve and a laptop bag. Never too much padding for my Mac!

To the poster that say they knew someone's laptop that survived a drop- of course one *could* but some people have survived a fall out of a highrise building but does that mean that everyone should jump now!?!?

I sort of think I have run the risk of dropping my computer more trying to slide it into my sleeve where I would otherwise just slide it directly into my padded backpack so maybe I am risking damage more because of a sleeve...or maybe I just should slide it into the sleeve over my desk instead of the floor!:D

17. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I use an Incase sleeve inside my bag to protect it from being banged around with books and stuff. So far, so good....

18. Locatel macrumors regular

This is really cool:

Rebound from Radtech:
    "It's made from high resistance polyurethane foam that seems rigid on first touch, but actually compresses and indents when impacted. The foam then slowly expands and reverts to its original form.
    This slow compression and rebound release acts as a shock absorber, spreading the impact of sudden bumps and jolts and generally providing a higher level of protection."

http://www.radtech.us/Products/SpecialtyBags.aspx#Rebound

19. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I use Radtech sleeves as a "keep-the-lid-close" duty for my PB/MBP while they serve as scratch prevention. I think sleeves are not meant to be a stand-alone computer bag; but, rather extra reinforcement for the proper notebook bag.