Would you keep this TV?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shacklebolt, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

So, passing by a store today, I saw a 26" CRT HDTV in the window with no insignia on it, but clearly functioning. As I was currently in the market for an HDTV, I went inside and inquired - $175. At this point, I am amused. I'm not looking for this thing to be the centerpiece of my awesome home theater system; I needed a working television to hook my XBox360 up to, and ideally, that I could watch the new season of 24 on (Starts on the 14th, right?).

I check the back - it has all the component spots I need. Two HD spots, 3 video spots, and a DVI spot (no HDMI, but I've experimented with HDMI, and have found it overrated). It of course comes with no box, and the remote control it comes with is a universal remote, but it fits the television perfectly. It has a few cosmetic imperfections, but the screen itself is fine and function. A little bit more snooping around, and I'm sold. Ironically, the TVs brand is Insignia.

I bring it home, and hook it up to my 360 on the HDTV. It works. It looks great. And thennnnnnnnnnn came the catch.

3 of the 4 corners of the screen corners are discolored. Nothing terrible - the picture quality behind it is still the same (no black areas). The top right corner the discolored area is small (think equilateral traingle with each side about 1"), and the bottom left is even smaller, but the top left is big and immediately noticable. To give you a ROUGH example of its size (those of you who have widescreen TVs), set your TV to 4/3 resolution (bars on the side). Measure the sidebar thickness on the left side. Then set it back to widescreen and pop in a 2.35:1 DVD. Black bars on the top. The intersection of the side bars and the black bar on the top is roughly the size of the discolored area. That means it's not really an issue when watching regular TV, nor much of an issue with 2.35 DVDs, but anything that takes up the ENTIRE screen, it's quite noticable. So for example, XBox360 games it's going to be there. In any game with a lot of stuff going on in the screen (ala Gears of War), it's barely noticable, and certainly you'd have to be looking for it to notice it. But on any sort of light background, or ESPECIALLY blue background, it's kind of like, "huh... my TVs a bit broken."

This of course means that the vast majority of the television is fine, and in fact, looks great. I mean, it's a perfectly good TV, and it works, and it fit my budget. Just to emphasize one more time, the entire screen works, but the corners are a bit wacky.

Believe it or not, I have 45 days to take this thing back.

What would you do? I know you can obviously say, "Well, depends on how much it bothers you," but here I'm asking, in my position, how much would it bother YOU?

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I would take it back. Minor things like that bother me.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Can you take it back for a replacement of the same model, or was this sort of a one time deal?

Personally that would bother me a lot (almost like the backlight bleeding on my 23" ACD :mad: ) and if I could get it replaced with a perfect model (unlike the ACD), or get my money back and find a similar deal elsewhere, I would. $175 for a 26" CRT HDTV though, not bad!!

4. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Yeah, this TV is definitely one of a kind - no exchanges. But hey, I can take it back. But hey also, IT LOOKS SO GOOD OTHERWISE. I was all prepared for this to be like, the greatest thing ever, and am disappointed that it's not. I'm sure i would get used to the discoloration but still...

and yes, 175 bucks is a good deal.

5. mannino macrumors newbie

get rid of it

just get rid of it. its better to pay a little more and get a fully functioning thing than save some money and then end up upgrading later on.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

does it have a manufacturers warranty, or just the store one?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd take it back...but then our standards may be different. Like there's no way I'd bring a 26" CRT into the house to begin with. But then I also don't have enough empty space lying around to really put something like that off to the side.

But more to the point, it sounds like it's bothering you, or you're noticing it in the application you chose for the TV. To me, that'd say to get rid of it. :(

Thejadedmonkey's point is good, although... it's a 26" CRT HDTV. Meaning, new, it's about ... $350-400, right, or less? And you got it for about half that. You have to decide if dealing with shipping it back to the mfr is going to be worth all of that.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

When (if?) HDCP becomes a reality HDMI won't be overrated anymore. It's future proofing.

If it bothers you I really wouldn't keep it, but you got a good deal for a first foray into HD, so you might just want to sit back and enjoy it.

B

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's assuming the DVI doesn't do HDCP, which it may not. But yeah, this is definitely true... especially as some of the XBox360 add-ons use HDCP, I thought? Like the HD-DVD accessory.

10. Shacklebolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Well, the back of this does have a DVI port in it. Obviously, there hare HDMI--->DVI cables out there, but this doesn't have a HDMI port itself.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

HDCP is a digital copy protection standard -- it can be implemented on DVI or on HDMI. But older HDMI devices don't comply to it, and even some current DVI devices don't comply to it. There's no easy way to tell by looking, either. Devices like HD-DVD players and Blu-Ray players can require HDMI to work at full resolution. Some aspects of Vista do also.

12. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IMHO HDCP over DVI alone seems semi-useless since the audio may also have to be decoded on a separate HDCP compliant box. HDCP compliant HDMI ports are the way to be sure you won't lose out in the first round of HDCP enabled content.

B

14. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

My girlfriend's parents just bought one of those. 46" I believe. I went to Best Buy to check it out and :eek: it's nice! But she got it for $3500 which was a steal because the price went up about $400 after they bought it.

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I'd keep it.

Come on... it is $175, what you expect.

Besides it doesn't sound like you are one who needs to constantly keep up with the Jones and take a second job just to afford the monthly repayments on that new 99" $4000 TV.

16. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

£90 for a HD Tv.... not bad in my book, and at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

If that was me, I would of checked it in store first, but there you go.

Seeing you have a lifetime to take it back, I would. I cant stand when something doesnt work.. ala Sony DVD recorders that wont read DVDs! (Actually, I was meant to take that in yesterday.. better do that today)

I want to get a HD Tv, but seeing as we dropped £3K on a 36" Panasonic Tv 4 years ago, and is still pretty good... doesnt seem worth it.

17. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I'd keep it. I have a high definition 30 inch CRT. It has a slight discoloration on the lower right corner, about an inch or so, it's kind of dark purpulish. The other corners are slightly darker than the rest of the screen but none of this is noticable unless the screen is displaying very light colors.

I don't notice any of it when watching movies or playing GOW. Just watch a few movies on it and play a few games and see if it bothers you. I still think you got a good deal.

18. jtown macrumors 6502

Look on the TV or in the setup menus for a degaussing function. And make sure you don't have any magnetic sources (speakers!) nearby.