Would you like Software update to look at all software?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by suneohair, Oct 25, 2006.

Would you like software update to include updates for all installed apps?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
  2. No

9 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
  1. suneohair macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    So I was thinking today, wouldnt it be nice if software update checked updates for all applications? You wouldnt have to run different updaters, and the updaters wouldnt randomly pop up at you either.

They could easily use versiontracker, and maybe get in with Adobe and MS (for office) to include updates for those apps.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Ideally, it'd be great, but I think there'd be problems with shoddily-written apps messing with Software Updater which is in effect, quite an essential tool, especially for the computer illiterate. It might also become a means for malicious code to be automatically installed. :eek:
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    as long as i can specify which apps for it to look for, then yes.
  4. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    Maybe instead of using versiontracker Apple could have the developers give them new versions, that way the chances of malicious code is greatly reduced.

I can see why it may never happen because it would be added work for Apple. But we can dream, and have polls to see how many would want it. :D
  5. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    South Australia, Australia
    like most ppl here I think (not sure) - but I got an email from version tracker ppl a few days ago - found it very curious:

Earlier this month, VersionTracker and Apple ended our partnership to provide .Mac subscribers with complementary yearly subscriptions to VersionTracker Plus, and special upgrade pricing to VersionTracker Pro.

What does this mean for you?

First, we will continue to honor the offer we made you: a year of free access to the advanced site features on VersionTracker.com, including the Alert List, Download Cart, Top Downloads Filters, My Updates and Advanced Search. You can see the amount of time remaining on your free subscription by logging into the site and clicking the "My Account" link at the top of any page.

Second, as of November 15, we will no longer offer the special $15.00 discount on VersionTracker Pro subscriptions to .Mac subscribers. We have had tremendous response to this offer, but soon it will be over.

Third: One last, limited-time offer. We're going to sweeten the last few days of the upgrade deal with one more incentive: we'll add a free MacFixIt Pro subscription to every active .Mac/Plus account that upgrades to VersionTracker Pro. A MacFixIt Pro subscription ensures you always have access to the largest, most-trusted source on the web of troubleshooting tips, special reports, and tutorials for keeping your Mac running smoothly.

The only way to take advantage of this offer is to follow the link below. Remember, this offer ends on 11/15/2006.
  6. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    I would love for the software update to mange my applications BUT I would want to be able to control which applications are allowed to auto check. Personally I can't stand the Adobe update or MS Office updates.. the Adobe one annoys me the most.
  7. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    Frankly, it is that type of disconnect that makes user susceptible to issues.

Besides, I don't trust Apple's Software Updater to begin with. I've turned it off for all my clients because Apple has a history of putting out updates that brake things on some systems. Usually I'll wait a week or two watching the boards to see what types of problems people are having with Apple's updates and then (if it looks safe) I'll update my clients.

The whole thing about automation is that you relinquish control of your system to someone else... and can end up with a problem were none previously existed.

I may like Apple a lot, but I sure wouldn't trust their updates with either my systems or my client's systems given their record to date. And if they can't get their own stuff right, the last thing in the world they should be doing is trying to manage other companies products. :eek:
  8. spicyapple macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    Apple at a time, rumored or true, considered of allowing Software Update to update third party software but they decided against it because then users would blame Apple if something went wrong with the update.
  9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    The last time I used SU for a Security Update, it broke Version Cue CS2. I don't trust it anymore and am happy to check on my own.
  10. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    But the system isn't set up for automation by default, unless things have changed. It auto checks but you then need to decide to install and even then you don't need to. Personally I just like the connivence of knowing that updates are accessible and I don't need to waste time searching for them.

I do see how users could blame apple if say Adobe released an update and it caused issues so maybe the alternative would be to allow users to assign how applications will seek out updates. As I said before I am annoyed by both Adobe's and MS's update checking systems, Apple's is much better, much cleaner.
  11. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    couldn't agree more. also, i'd want to be able to choose what software i'd update.
  12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I'd rather have software update not check for updates of all my applications. I'm used to just clicking the check for updates button in software and it hasn't been an annoyance before and it'd be very hard to pull off with a bunch of applications being updated at once and Apple not having controll over the code that the apps would put in software update for it to update. One wrong piece of code could take out software update and that wouldn't be good at all.
  13. apfhex macrumors 68030

Aug 8, 2006
    Northern California
  14. suneohair thread starter macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2006
    I am not sure what some of you are whining about, but right now my Mac does not auto update. I have to tell it I want to and I can pick and choose which things I want to update.

Why all of a sudden is everyone thinking this will be an automated process?

It would be the same as the current Software Update. It checks, you pick what you do and do not want. Then tell it ok, then verifying your password like every other installation on a Mac.

I never proposed automation, just the ability for third party apps to be included in the Software Update search and thus allowing for users to use one centralized hub for their update needs. It doesnt disconnect the user from anything they would still have everything to do with the update process. I do think a customizable list would be good as well o exclude apps from the check. I just think a centralization of updates would add a more controllable workspace, since you wouldnt have to remember to check every app for an update, instead you would have a detailed list in one place where you could decide if you want to update or not.

To get around the "it broke my machine" Apple could simply put a disclaimer before the install goes, much like they have in some of their updates now.