Would you like to see a smaller capacity iPod?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mystixman, Nov 25, 2003.

1. mystixman macrumors regular

The All New iPod 512
    • 512 MB Storage Capacity
    • Dock Connector
    • 40 Hour Rechargeable Battery
    • Only $49.99
    (btw, I made this in Lightwave 3D 7.5c)

Attached Files:

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Well done. You will be able to show off many PC iPod users with an even more brushed metal version of the sub-$100 portable.

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Hmm I'd be sceptical of any thing from apple for under $100US, I'd think something was up. + it would have to use Flash memory not a harddrive.

Love the idea

4. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

Agreed.

And look! Widescreen! Finally can display long titles without scrolling!

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I think this is exactly what Apple needs to release. It would be a huge hit. They already have the name recognition in the market, they just need something with a lower entry price. I know many people who are in the market for flash-based players because they don't need gigabytes of music with them. Everyone loves the iPod, but it's a pretty big investment, and if you only use a fraction of the space, it's not a wise one.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i say nay. the high premium you pay is part of what makes it a status symbol, which is part of what makes the iPod such a huge trend. perhaps off in the future, but right now they're doing just fine with the iPod... smaller MP3 players are on the way out, i think...

pnw

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

that would be interesting... and if something came out like that for only 50 i might buy...but arn't 512 flash chips more than 50 by themselves?

anyway i think it would be cool to have all sorts of size ipods for everybodies price range.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't understand your reasoning. This would just give people more options (without confusing people, mind you). I think a lot of people would buy one who aren't going to pay $300+ for a bigger ipod. And making it that small would *really* appeal to people.

9. GigaWire macrumors 6502

A small capacity iPod would have been nice a year or so ago, but I'd much rather like to see Apple have to compete with the rival same/similar capacity player makers in the 20-30 GB range in terms of price. I say let the market drive the price of players down, and not cop out with a low price mini-player.

Attached Files:

• draw.jpg
      draw.jpg
      File size:
      11.6 KB
      Views:
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

but a low price mini-player would target a differnt audience. People who want to jog with it (flash memory would be much better than a HD player), people who aren't going to spend the big bucks anyway, people who want something even smaller than the ipod. I don't think it would replace the ipod, but would compliment it nicely.

Not gonna happen, but I still think it would be a great product.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

That doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, either--I honestly think there's a market for ultra-compact, $50-ish MP3 players, although I don't think the tech is to the point where that's possible yet--no companies, let alone an Apple-quality product, are producing something anywhere near that price with specs far more reasonable.

What would be more realistic in a closer timeframe would be a budget iPod like the one mentioned on page 2. A 5GB iPod for, say, $150 or so seems like it'd sell well--I, for example, don't even have that much music, and there's no way I'm convincing my wife to spend $300 on any kind of portable player, but $150 is getting close to the range I'd seriously consider it. $100 would be the magic number, but the tech just isn't there yet.

12. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

Hmmmm - I think a 5GB iPod would be good.

I also think that Apple could make a market for itself if it sold a decent SD based player with some huge amount of built-in RAM - like 512MB.

I like the idea of a low cost iPod. I just don't think Apple would do it. It may canabalize current iPod sales. Don't believe me? Look at the iMac and eMac. They could use a low powered G5 but Apple wants to have just one "G5" machine out there now and they want people who want the latest and greatest to fork out for it. A G5 iMac or PowerMac would hurt those sales.

13. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Slightly off topic but all those people saying that G5 consumer based products will be out early next year must have there head in the clouds. Apple will put the G5 into the powerbook next, they have to. Until the powermacs are all 2Ghz+ why would they introduce consumer versions. With todays market place and people buying purely on GHz prowess it would be suicide to introduce a G5 below 1GHz. To those not in the know this would be slower than current models (G4's) although improved architecture would no doubt push them ahead. Look how long it took for G4's to reach consumer products.

14. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I like the idea, it's classy, and I think Apple could profit from it.

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I think it's a cool concept. One of the things that I don't like about the iPod is the price- I know one pays a lot for Apple merchandise, but the iPod is expensive.

Also, I have a feeling that if Apple did make one of these smaller capacity iPods for a low price, people might start asking for a cheaper iBook or PowerBook.

Just my $.02 :rolleyes:

16. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

I personnally would not want one, but I think such a product could help fill the "starving student" niche market. Not only that, but once a person got the el-cheapo ipod, maybe they would love it so much that they would decide to get a nice one.