Would you pay $12,000+ for an ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eidrunner247, Aug 3, 2006.

1. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The guy signed up today...it's either a scammer or just a joker. Either way, that account will cease to exist very soon. It's a shame...he had such a great username. :rolleyes:

4. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

So I wondered what could cause it to get up that high. Someone put $12,000 before the winning bid of $12,100. Maybe an attempt to inflate the price that went horribly, horribly wrong?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

He and another guy who registered today bid it up there...clearly it's a scam (or prank) of some sort.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Who are they scamming? It just looks like an idiotic prank.

8. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Probably one of those Nigerian scams I hate those.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If the iBook came with $11500 in cash stashed inside, then sure.....I'd take the iBook for $12100.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

:confused:

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd pay that much if I was trying to launder drug money.. or if I was actually buying drugs instead of an iBook.

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

lol yeah man, those Nigerians...I tell ya.....

13. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Someone didn't put a cap on a sniping program?

Looks goofy. Raymond had a reasonable bid. Then the other guy bids way over, and then Raymond tops that with what could be a type (2100 to 1999). And then another $100 on top of the erroneous $12000?

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

At least there's no interest until 2007...gives sn4lrff1l6f21c1 a chance to pull the necessary funds together.

15. KilGil27 macrumors regular

KilGil27

that made me laugh for a while... mostly because of the name

16. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

The username was kinda screwed up. Maybe there is a secret thing that can change the world on it that those 2 guys knew about (or the fact that they are idiots).

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Maybe the iBook is made of pure, white cocaine? :D

It's probably just a run-up scam, but it might also be poor eBay strategy. I found that when bidding on items that I'd really want (mostly books) I would see people who, no matter what bid I entered, would always outbid me by the bid amount ($1, $5, $.25, whatever) as soon as I sent in a bid. The more I entered bids, the same user would keep outbidding me the second I entered them.

After a while (usually when the item in question approached actual retail value, or the value I could find at a bricks-and-morter bookstore), I simply gave up bidding. When I checked back at the items after bidding ended, the same user would have won the item, usually after outbidding others in increment-after-increment bidding.

I guess where this is all going is that the winner might have put in an outrageous bid amount and banked on the premise that no-one else would bid on the iBook after a certain point because it would be less of a deal. Maybe the previous bidder did the same, and together the two entered $12,000 and $12,100 as their maximum bids. After the second party entered an amount over the outrageous bid from the first person, eBay took over and ran the iBook right to the end of the highest bid.

After all this writing, I'm still leaning towards a run-up scam (especially if you look at the bid history and that the winner is no longer a registered user) - because only a true idiot would bid $12,000 at once to win an iBook. But, I have seen folks do what I described above, and it seems to work for them.

Now if I were the seller of said iBook, I'd be having a party right now (or not, since it's unlikely I'd get my money).

18. savar macrumors 68000

savar

19. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

i thought scammers usually did that to build up their feedback. anyway, i wonder how much they had to pay to list the auction. :rolleyes:

20. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I would be pretty excited if my iBook bid all the way up to 12 grand. Then, I would do some thinking and realize I had been scammed, in which case I would post here to tell you guys all about it. :cool: