Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I'm assuming most people have seen the new Toshiba "kids" PC by now?

1284849le.jpg

More images here: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...49&productId=1218246665112&defurl=false&h=403

While the thing is pretty low-end and FILLED with crapware for monitoring your kids online activities, I'm really pretty intrigued by the full 'rubberized' coating on the device. The entire surface is covered by a textured silicone of some type, giving it a nice grippy feeling. Even the keyboard is rubberized.

Obviously, this material was applied during construction and I doubt you could emulate this with any kind of after-market kit.

But I have to say I'd LOVE to have this kind of coating on my MBA. Is there any kind of skin on the market today that gives me a similar texture?

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah I might.

miata

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2010
Silicon Valley, Earth
I think Apple could figure out how to make something like that work. Aluminum is the fad right now, but will eventually be passe.

A rubberized texture in many areas could be very functional. Wait. Functionality is not longer important.:eek:

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
That's a huge assumption to think that most people on a Mac forum have heard of this machine. At least for me, this is the first time I've seen it and it belongs in the category it's made for, KIDS. I would not want anything rubber built in on my Macs however the first iBook was almost fully covered in rubber and it worked for how Apple designed it but I was glad when the stopped production of that machine, however it was quite successful. The current white Macbook is rubber-like on the bottom and that's exactly where it belongs.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I work in a lot of construction sites and once upon a time even owned a ToughBook for this very reason. I even know a guy who took apart his 13" MBP and sprayed Rhino Liner all over the exterior of it to ruggedize it. It worked pretty well but looks butt ugly.

I think a thin coating/skin that was grippy would be a great option. And for people saying "it adds weight...no way" just look at all the threads here talking about 1+ pound cases or sleeves, or the 3+ pound backpacks/messenger bags. Unless you pull a Jony Ives and keep your MBA sitting on a rotating, elevated glass podium in the middle of your room....everyone puts it inside of SOMETHING for protection. This is just one style (rubberized/ruggedized) I've yet to see and wonder why I haven't (yet).

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
This is from a company called "Pure" but no idea if it actually exists or is a mockup. Its for a 13" MBP.

Ruggedized_Prote_4bd4cb0a481f8.jpg

That's going a little TOO far, but I dig the conceptual direction. LaCie could do this...I already own one of their ruggedized USB drives with the orange bumper around it.

ayuchan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
Singapore
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

No, no way. It's like changing my Silver PS3 Fat to PS3 Slim. Appearance does play a part.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
And then there's this beast:

btyProduct9.jpg

btyProduct11.jpg

I can't believe I'm the only user out there who wants a RUGGEDIZED Mac. Surely there must be a market for this?

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
And then there's this beast:

btyProduct9.jpg

btyProduct11.jpg

I can't believe I'm the only user out there who wants a RUGGEDIZED Mac. Surely there must be a market for this?

as much as i wouldnt mind a bit more grip, id just be more mindful than go with rubber. it won't look as pretty.

but then "patinaed" al looks like crap too.

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
This is from a company called "Pure" but no idea if it actually exists or is a mockup. Its for a 13" MBP.

Ruggedized_Prote_4bd4cb0a481f8.jpg

That's going a little TOO far, but I dig the conceptual direction. LaCie could do this...I already own one of their ruggedized USB drives with the orange bumper around it.

That's a prototype (not sure if old or new) from Hard Candy

http://www.hardcandycases.com/

They have used that design on their iPhone case, but not for notebooks yet as far as I can see:

yhst-12507765640553_2130_10010618

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
Rubberized, no.

Flat, Matte black....yes, I would love that. There's always the Colorware option but I just don't see paying $500 for a change in color. I like the look of the silver but Matte black would be my first choice.

Tomple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
New York, New York
Rubberized, no.

Flat, Matte black....yes, I would love that. There's always the Colorware option but I just don't see paying $500 for a change in color. I like the look of the silver but Matte black would be my first choice.

+1 but i find the aluminum looks beautiful on my 11.6"

Adidas Addict

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
England
Rubberized, no.

I have seen some proper sub-standard end results from Colorware too, in no way reflecting the price they charge. Imagine paying $500 and ending up with something unsellable.

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I don't have kids, but if I wanted to give my child a bad personality I'd give them expensive things at an age they couldn't appreciate. A rubberized MBA sounds perfect for that.

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
I have seen some proper sub-standard end results from Colorware too, in no way reflecting the price they charge. Imagine paying $500 and ending up with something unsellable.

Yea, I just don't see it. It certainly doesn't cost that much to paint and to make a profit. They are using the price to establish their branding just like Apple, Under Armour and others do.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 15, 2010
I don't have kids, but if I wanted to give my child a bad personality I'd give them expensive things at an age they couldn't appreciate. A rubberized MBA sounds perfect for that.

Yeah I wasn't talking about a MBA for kids, I was talking about rugged-izing a MBA for my own use to make it more durable when on construction sites. I just ran across that Toshiba thing (its called a Spark and is aimed at kids) as an example of a rugged-ized finish without going the route of a ToughBook or a mil-spec case.

People say that this would "ruin" the appearance. I think a few weeks on the job and the appearance will be ruined WITHOUT it.

fedup flyer

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2008
Ever heard of the Toshiba Toughbook?
There is definitely a market for rubberized or toughened laptop for those of us that travel alot and or use a laptop in a industrial setting.

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
I believe its the Panasonic Toughbook, not Toshiba. ;)

And whyever would one want to rubberize the MBA of all things??? :confused: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.