Would you pay for .Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Durandal7, Jul 16, 2002.

?

Would you pay for .Mac?

1. No, Apple should have done some market research

47 vote(s)
    64.4%
  2. Sure, I got money to burn on iDisk

26 vote(s)
    35.6%
  1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Would you be willing to pay $100/year for .Mac assuming that you get slighly increased iDisk space in addition to the current batch of free services.

2. heinzruediger macrumors newbie

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a couple of websites I use now that I pay for, there is no way I would pay for more. iDisk and iTools are a convenience and I use them because they're free. If it becomes a paying service, I'll drop them.

D

4. Paolo macrumors regular

what is apple thinking

I don't get it... itools was really cool because it was a free service... as if there are going to be ads in the switch section saying "I switched to mac because I wanted to be ripped off and pay $100 for something I can get free elsewhere"

5. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

6. wildcat4100 macrumors member

I'm really pissed

I'm really pissed as it goes to pay service, I'll definitely look for another free service out there!!!

7. Inhale420 macrumors regular

most of the iApps you can get similar 3rd party products for free- on both mac and PC.

.MAC is just a marketing scheme, to get people to fork 100 bucks a year to apple

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

What are you talking about? The iApps ARE free...:rolleyes:

9. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

This sucks...

I know of a great many people who have spectacular mac home pages that will have to be hosted somewhere else. A damn shame.

And my .mac account? History. I'm in college and don't have $ to burn for a simple e-mail account.

As said by others, a BAD move. They may offer more than M$, but they're starting to act like 'em in a small way.

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Re: This sucks...

At least they don't force you to use their products. :D :rolleyes:

11. dolstein macrumors newbie

How long before .mac gets cancelled?

I'd be VERY reluctant to fork over $100 for this service. I don't know how many iTool users Apple expects to sign up, but it wouldn't surprise me if their estimates prove to be wildly overoptimistic. So what happens when the revenue stream fails to materialize? Do they simply scrap .mac entirely, or to they revert back to a stripped-down free service?

Sounds like the eWorld fiasco all over again.

12. elmimmo macrumors 6502

charging for email accounts?? pfffffff

Hail M$ and its FREE hotmail.

My @mac to the bin.

13. elmimmo macrumors 6502

Oh, and by the way, I will not start spamming here, so no names are given, but for $143,4 a year I am getting 350 MB worth of email/web/ftp combined space with 40 GB of max bandwidth per month, UNLIMITED email accounts (POP/IMAP/WEB), PHP4+PHPMyAdmin, MYSQL, being able to use custom cgis, statistics, telnet access, subdomaining my OWN domain, search engine submission, blah, blah, blah...

$100 is RIDICULOUS for so little. Sure the service I use might not be as intuitive, that might cost money, but then Apple was not targetting me in the first place.

14. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I can't tell you how disappointed I am with Apple. After a day at work, I got home and quickly powered up my Mac for details of the new additions to the Apple Cart. And what do I find? My email address is now to be charged at the "nominal" fee of $100 per year.

It's obviously not enough that I paid over £2000 for my beloved computer. As far as Apple are concerned, they're now effectively finding new and improved ways to make a buck.

Don't they realise that a free email service could also prove to be one of the best forms of FREE advertising to the masses? I mean, everytime I send an email to anyone, it shows the recipients my loyalty to Apple - that must be worth SOMETHING...

OK - one solution might be to charge a fee to the other services. After all, there might be SOMEBODY out there to buy into it. But the fee has to be a little lower if more people are to sign on (i.e. - more clients=more money, and vice-versa).

But PLEASE, Apple - at least as a gesture of goodwill to your loyal supporters;

KEEP THE EMAIL SERVICE FREE!

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

16. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Rover - I've got no idea where to change my email preferences on the .mac.com webpage.

WTF are you talking about?!?

Heeeeeelp Meeeeee...:confused:

17. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I sure as hell would never want to pay for it. I already did by buying a computer from them. I will however pay for 10.2 but for email...I don't think so. I try to convert to an email only account and I can't even get to my email now! Only to that stupid .mac page

18. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Click on "Account" at the top of the page in the metal colored bar...

...it seems like they haven't put all of the system in place yet, just like the iPod Software Update the still hasn't shown up.:rolleyes:

19. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

I hate to say it but judging from the negative response among the power users at this site I don't think .mac has any chance of suceeding. If all of the hard-core mac users are condemning it, what chance does it have with the general public?

20. A. Rastetter macrumors newbie

The e-mail thing is unacceptable, I'd be willing to pay even 15 or 20 but no way 100. Do you think it would do any good to send apple any protesting comments?

21. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i'm poor so i cant afford .mac :(, maybe if everything changes in a year or 2 (like for the better like ALOT better services), maybe i'll get .mac

22. RowdyFROG macrumors newbie

Would you pay for .Mac

No. Certainly not for that price anyway.

23. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Oh, the hardcore fans are the bigest bunch of wankers on the face of the earth (minus M$ fans). EVERY SINGLE TIME there is a MacWorld the whole community has to bitch about something. Everyone goes on about how much they love Apple but when Apple makes a change everyone bitches about it.

Where do you think all the money is coming from for iTools???? We are in a huge down turn in the computer industry and Apple now has over 1 million iTools subscribers which they expected to reach 2 million very soon. Now do the math; if you assume a hard drive is 120MB then you can get 4 accounts on one drive. 2 000 000 / 4 = 500 000 drives. 500 000 drives at around $US150 a drive (assume they would be getting good drives at a discount rate) would be $US75 000 000 and they still have not bought the servers ect.

Apple is offering us 100MB storage, 15MB email, Virex, back up and sync ability plus more for 2/3 of the cost of the drive. They need one drive per person to give us this and we get it for $US100 per year.

If you don't like this offer, well, no one is stopping you finding free servers but I assure you that none will offer you what Apple is.

24. raschild macrumors member

.mac

I think everyone should tell Apple that we want mac.com email to stay free, and they can keep the rest.