Would you reccomend X Plane?

Discussion in 'Games' started by quagmire, Aug 13, 2004.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I have a 12" pbook running at 1 Ghz and has 512 MB of ram. I know the 12" screen won't give me the best gaming experience but, I don't really care. I am wondering if it will perform well due to my specs.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It runs, well, OK, on my 800MHz iMac. Not a direct comparison, but maybe similar. I wouldn't expect anything amazing. Of course, the demo is free, so it won't hurt to try it out.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

X Plane doesn't require much in the way in the way of system requirements. Heck, I ran the demo of 6 on a 400MHz G3! (with 640MB and a Radeon 7000). That said, EVERY game/sim loves more powerful hardware.

4. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I didn't know there was a demo. May I have a link please?

5. Xircom macrumors newbie

Xircom

6. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

When I try to open the bit torrent for the demo it said that there was no defualt app specified to open the torrent. What should I do?

EDIT: I am downloading it off the server thing. But, it says it is a 212 meg file. It is going to take forever to download any suggestions?

7. James L macrumors 6502a

8. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

party

never played X PLANE, if you're a fan of sim games, go ahead, if not...pass this one

9. Xircom macrumors newbie

Xircom

Well, I think that there is no shortcut - it's just as big as you say. Of course you can order the game on CD also :)

10. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have a pb with the same specs and tried the demo and for me it ran fine. graphics were just like you expect for a plane flying game and it seemed pretty good in general. as people have said it wont hurt to try!

11. iNetwork macrumors member

X-Plane rocks

The website is X-Plane.com

That said, X-plane IS the most realistic flight simulator on the market. I use to practice actual flights before I take them in a real airplane. The avionics, flight modeling and weather (well the whole sim) are all based on physics, it is truly a SIMULATOR. If you're into aviation, then this is for you. If you want a shoot-em-up simulator then look elsewhere. I have been using it since it was released. I have bought every version. I can't say enough good about it. Just read the main page linked above and you will be impressed with it's capability.

Oh and if you have a problem, you e-mail austin and he personally responds to each e-mail. Of course, read the documentation first that's linked to from his website. What other company can you actually get an e-mail response from the owner of the company???

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I use a stick, throttle and rudder pedals and it is a totally immersive environment.. especially when I hook up the lcd projector. :)

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The reason the download is so big is you are actually downloading the full game :D What you download now becomes the full version once you put the X-Plane 7 CD into your drive. I would 100% recommend getting this if you like flight sims. I love it.

13. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Would you guys recommend a joy stick when I buy the game if I like it? For the demo will the arrows, trackpad, and clicker work just fine? I am downloading the demo now. Hope it is fun.

14. beefcake macrumors 6502

I haven't played X Plane much, but I've played other flight sims and have actually flown planes before. In my opinion, yes, you need a joystick. If it was a simple combat sim, a keypad would probably do the trick, but for $20 you can pick up a 3 axis joystick and get a real feel for the controls. Oh, if you do get a joystick, make sure it has a twist handle- you'll definitely want rudder control or your turns will be off balance and force you to constantly meddle with the stick to stay straight.

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ok, I was probably lied to, but I went to Mac store to get a game pad and the employee told me there were no game pads supported by Panther :confused:

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Thats bull. Even the Apple Store Online lists gamepads/joysticks. Tell his manager to fire him :rolleyes:

17. crowdaddy macrumors regular

hey, how does X-plane compare to microsoft flight simulator? I've got the most recent microsoft one and it is pretty awesome, I don't know how it could get better.

18. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I downloaded the demo. The mouse controls were impossible to control the plane. It was fun though. I like it when the demo ignores your mouse for steering. You can still use the instruments. So what I did was, I put down the flaps( to keep the plane stable) and the landing gear. Then when the flaps were done I killed the engines( cut off fuel supply). At first the plane started to free fall, then it recovered and started to glide down very slowly. When I could see the ground I looked for a flat surface to land. I gave two engines fuel again and turned up the engines to steer it where the flat area was. Then I killed the 2 engines and let it settle. Most of the time it did stop heading towards the flat area. So the only thing I could do now is wait intill the plane got near the ground. So when it finally touched down, I lifted the landing gear up to prevent a blown tire. The belly of the plane was our brakes and stopped the plane safely. So I lowered the wheels again and put on the brakes. I gave all engines fuel again. But, the engines were off. So while the flaps were going up I turned all 4 engines back on. Then did the process all over again intill I crashed. Very fun. It ran perfectly on a 1 Ghz G4. A couple of bumps but, smooth. The 5200 32 mb gpu did a very good job on the graphics.

19. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I've been told by a real pilot not to compare the 2 because they're different. Graphic wise I've always thought that m$FLTSIM was better, but for realism X-Plane is better.

I wish they'd port Flight Sim over to the Mac, but that's got a snowball's chance in hell :rolleyes:

20. beefcake macrumors 6502

X-Plane is much better for realism of flight. While it's true that MSFS is much better looking out of the box, the clouds and sky (which is what you'll be looking at most of the time you're flying) are far better in X-Plane, and you can download custom ground scenery easily. You can also download custom planes, which may or may not have realistic flight characteristics, but since you'll probably never fly an F-15 who really cares?

21. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

X-Plane isn't an alternative to MS FS2K4 for GA aircraft

For all those who say X-Plane is more realistic than MS FS2K4, I would be curious as to which plane you have "pilot-in-command" experience.

I have a PPL (Cessna 172S and 172P) and, before switching, spent countless hours in MS FS2K4. Now that I am on a Mac I obviously use X-Plane. All I can say is that I find X-Plane inferior to FS in almost every respect. As an example, take the provided Cessna 172 and sit at idle on the runway. The plane starts rotating to the left - it has nothing to do with P-Factor, but everything to do with an unrealistic simulation.

My recommendation is to avoid X-Plane. I will probably buy a new PC when FS2K6 comes out solely to run that sim. In the meantime I plan on checking out FlightGear.

BTW, one tip to avoid having to use the X-Plane 7 CD to start the sim is to use Disk Utility to create a disk image of the CD. X-Plane will read the image fine and then won't require the original CD. Makes it more convenient for me. Also, for PowerBook/iBook users, I have found to get acceptable performance I have to change my Energy settings to max performance.

22. mr_mac macrumors member

mr_mac

I am a pilot myself and i can say by experience that MSFS2k4 is like a really good looking picture of a scenery when X-Plane is a real life motion picture, but with a lot of noise in the picture.

The weather, clouds, physics and the feeling of the planes is ten times better in X-Plane.

I just love landing with a King Air B200 with full rudder on a 90 degrees crosswind at 40 miles per hour!

I HIGHLY recommend it for any real flight sim lover.

Mrmac

23. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Sorry for digging this up again. I finally figured out how to switch aircrafts. So I get on Discovery. So I thought I couldn't fire up the engines and all. But, when I selected fly in formation right in front of me was another discovery( who would know theres 2:p) using its engines. Can you light the engines of the shuttle? Also so far my favorite craft has to be the B-52. I learned with 1 engine failure it is impossible to control that thing. I also like the Hidenburg. I might buy X Plane 8 when it comes out in November.