Would you recommend getting Refurb PB?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by whw5, May 21, 2004.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    I am going to be getting a new PB 15 today. I am trying to deciede whether or not to go with the top of the line from last version PB refurb up on the special deals or get a new PB. I have the money to buy either one. I am concerned that the old ones might not be a good as the new ones for video/audio editing and gaming. Which should I get? Should I save money on the computer and get the Garage band Jam pack, or get the newest version?
  2. denm316 macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2003
    I have heard that the refurbs are usually really good. However just remember that the Rev A 15" version which are the refurbs had numerous problems, such as white spots on the displays, uneven illuminantion and some others I think, for piece of mind I think I would go with the new ones, just so I could guarantee I dont have any problems.
  3. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    I just bought a refurb powerbook in April and it looks brand new. No problems at all. I was worried at first because I thought I would get a clunker, but mine is awesome. The switch is going along slowly but surely. it truely rocks.
  4. JasonL macrumors regular

Feb 13, 2004
    Ware, MA
    I know that under the special deals section on the applestore site that last gen PBs (like mine) are discounted new units.

Also, with AppleCare you can have 3 years' worth of peace of mind. Of course, it's not exactly cheap for the PBs. :(
  5. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    If it's under the "Special Deals" section on the website, then you get a one year of applecare free, upgradeable to three years. So if there are any flaws/defects, you shouldn't have to worry that much about it because Apple will repair it free of charge.

Personally, if I had the money I would go for a new one. They last longer and are only a little more expensive in the scheme of things (i.e. they are newer, faster, and therefore they are cooler).

If you are a student (K-12, College, or Grad school), you should search for your school via the Apple Education link on the Apple site. You can get a maxed out 15 inch PB for under $2500, and a lower end model for only $1799. Apple does not offer education discounts on their special deals section, however, so it would be cheaper just to get a new one in some cases.