Would you run OS X on a Dell or an Asus?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kumbaya, May 27, 2006.

?

Would you run OS X on non-Apple hardware?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2006.
  1. No Way in Hell! Apple all the way!!

38 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Yep, I'd go for a cheap, cheap PC

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Yep, I'd go for a top of the line PC

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Yep, I'd configure something to my taste

24 vote(s)
    29.3%
  5. Hm, I dunno...

13 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. kumbaya macrumors regular

IF Apple released OSX for non-Apple hardware, would you run OSX on this:

xpsm1942.jpg

Dell XPS M1710

Processor: 2.16 GHz Core Duo
    Display: 17” 1900x1200
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX w/ 512MB
    Hard Drive: 100GB SATA 7200 rpm
    Optical Drive: 8x Double Layer DVD Writer
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy, integrated subwoofer
    5-in-1 memory card
    TV Tuner w/ Remote Control
    Ethernet, Airport, Bluetooth, Firewire (4-pin), 6xUSB, Modem, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Component Video, SPDIF audio out
    8.8 pounds, 1.67” high

and

‘Award Winning Service, Support’

$7,134 – ships on 16 June
    Oh, and it has two buttons…

or this:

2739-lambo.jpg

asus_lamborghini2.jpg

Asus Lamborghini VX1

Processor: 2.0 GHz Core Duo
    Display: 15” 1400x1050 Glossy
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz
    Video Card: nVidia GeForce 7400VX w/ 512MB
    Hard Drive: 160GB SATA 5400 rpm
    Optical Drive: Double Layer DVD Writer
    Ethernet, Airport, Bluetooth, Firewire, Webcam
    Lamborghini Bag and Mouse
    5.2 pounds, 1.18” high

UK£1899 = $3,554 – ‘available in june’

or even this::eek:

xps600.jpg

Dell XPS 600

Processor: Pentium D 950 Dual Core 3.4 GHz, 800FSB
    RAM: 2GB DDR2 SDRAM @ 667 MHz
    Video Card: Dual 512MB nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX
    AGEIA PhysX physics accelerator (for next level gaming)
    Hard Drive: 1TB Raid 0 SATA 10000 rpm
    2nd Hard Drive: 500GB SATA 7200 rpm w/ 16MB cache
    Dual Optical Drive: 16x Double Layer DVD Burner and 16x DVD-ROM
    13 in 1 Media Card Reader and Floppy Drive (Hooray)
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic w/ Dolby Digital 5.1
    Speakers: Logitech Z5500 500 Watt 5.1 Digital Surround
    Keyboard: Saitek 104-Key Eclipse Backlit Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Gaming Mouse

And

‘Dimension XPS, Specialized Support’ for ‘Premier Warranty Support’

$5781 – ships on 13 June

Option for 30” LCD Display 2560x1200 for $1999

Personally, I could well go for the Asus. But those Dell specs are mighty drool-inducing............

:D

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I do run OS X on an Asus.

It's called a MacBook.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Imagining for just a second that all the drivers and such were available for Mac OS X on my main system... yes, I'd switch to OS X on it. Dell BTW. I plan to eventually replace it with a Mac Pro anyway.

4. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

no.

I'm spending my whole day working and sometimes night gaming in front of my computer, and I like to see something beautiful in front of me that many hours. Looks may matter to some, others won't care, but as long as there are no pcs around that look nearly as good as an apple I won't by one, even with OsX.

Btw, the computers in the pictures posted all look butt ugly in my opinion.

5. kumbaya thread starter macrumors regular

I've got a 17" G4 Powerbook. It's beautiful.

And, somehow I'm looking for something more. Dunno what.

I think a pro laptop finished a la black iPod glossy polycarbonate, angular and really slim - 1/2 inch.

I'm undecided whether the aluminium look Apple pro laptops are fine, or could do with a design revision.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only one I'd consider is the Asus. It looks ok --- good on the outside, and just average once you flip the screen up and look at the keyboard.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Uhhh, considering they look like they cost a lot more than a Mac, no...

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

at the moment yes, and i do, but apples not just going to let people run mac osx86 things will change and i couldent live with such an unsupported config as my main machine. haveing to wait for patched updates and liveing in fear that you change one thing and the whole thing stops working, also as soon as i get my macbook it'll be the fastest computer in the house (bar graphics) so theirs not much point.

and those pc's are overpriced, sure the asus looks ok, but the MBP is nicer still and cheaper, the dell is a 45 min battery brick and that tower is medicore.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Probably not... although ASUS does have a 12" lightweight notebook that looks fairly nice, which Apple now does not....

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Apple all the way!! Maybe Asus when my iBook dies..love that 12'' look

11. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I would never run OSX on non apple hardware. Except the Smell is nearly as thick as in iMac, and the asus is like 4k (and I don't want a Smell desktop), mac isn't mac without the design. And, a mac also kinda loses it's point without an apple screen. PowerMacs are ok, cause in that pricerange, you buy an ACD too, but MacMini costs around the same as an ACD, so it is not my favourite mac. No, I'd never run OSX on non apple hardware.

12. Atey macrumors newbie

Of course I would.

Why not? Do I have a THAT small ego or a THAT tiny [special body part] which forces me to run OS X on a machine that shows I spent a lot of money on it? Nope!

It´s Mr. Jobs who forces us to run his great OS on those gorgeous machines :D

An open OS X would be great though...

13. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

This poll is unclear. Is the question "would you install OS X on a PC if you knew how?" or "would you use OS X on your PC if it were legal?"

14. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

If the price, featureset, and design matched or undercut Apple and it were legal, of course I would. I do not foresee this happening so my answer is a "No" with an ellipsis.

I'm not quite a fan of the hacked version of OS X. Terrible abomination that is opposite to the Macintosh experience in nearly every conceivable way. On the other hand, it is quite in line with the spirit of Apple and the Mac.

15. howesey macrumors 6502a

Beat me to it.

You have an Asus now.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Cute, but the point was that Asus makes a 12" notebook that isn't based on a current Apple design.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=239&type=expert

It has a 1.3MP video camera and it's lighter than any of the MacBook family members....

So it's true that we have Asus notebooks now, but not the one that we're discussing....

17. kumbaya thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely "would you use OS X on your PC if it were legal?"

and more so, would you WANT to buy non-Apple hardware to run Mac OSX.

unsupported...ugh!

18. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

no.

I love Apple as a company, not just their OS.

19. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I'm in two minds on this one. I would like to see OSX on as many machines as possible, but also like them all to be Macs. Perhaps a widening of the range or even a selected clone program, (but tight design controls within that, no hideous boxes), would see further increases in sales.

For myself, I think the grand plan is to keep my athlon running for occasional use. Ditch my 17" CRT and get a good 23" display with dual inputs, (one for my PC, one to connect to my MBP when needed), and add a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo later too. I wouldn't want to have a hacked OSX running on my PC, but can see why others would. I also have used XP on my Mac, but would only use in under emulation, not pure XP. Once I have an iMac, I will use that as my main machine for parallels, the billions of apps I occasionally use and relegate my MBP to a portable only with limited apps installed.

OSX will go no where near my PC.

20. RacerX macrumors 65832

I was already faced with this situation years ago so I know what I'd do... the why is the important part.

When I first got Rhapsody part of the reason for running in on an IBM ThinkPad was to learn the system... if I had it on a PowerBook I may have been tempted to boot back into Mac OS 8 rather than figuring out how to use Rhapsody. Also there was the price issue (my ThinkPad was a third the price of a PowerBook 3400c at the time).

I did end up replacing the ThinkPad for almost a year with a PowerBook G3 Wallstreet. But then Mac OS X 10.2 was released and the Wallstreet has been running that ever since and the ThinkPad was brought back into service.

Last year I got a PowerBook 3400c which is more than twice as fast as my ThinkPad... and I put Rhapsody on it to use it as a replacement for the ThinkPad.

Rhapsody stayed on the 3400c for about a week before I removed it and went back to using my old ThinkPad again. Why? The 3400c and the ThinkPad both have 12.1" displays... but the 3400c is at 800x600 and the ThinkPad is at 1024x768. Even with an Apple computer running twice as fast I picked a PC for screen real-estate.

If I got another Wallstreet, I would retire the ThinkPad again (Rhapsody really runs a lot better on Apple hardware)... but given what I have to work with now I'm using a PC running an Apple OS rather than Apple hardware.

Basically, I'd use the best hardware I could afford. That is what I've been doing with Rhapsody, that is what I'd do with Mac OS X if Apple came out with a version for PCs.

21. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

You mean a micro, soft, body part?