Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which option would you spend your hard earned money on?

• iPhone w/ 5" screen

Votes: 90 41.9%
  • iPhone w/ 4.1" - 4.9" screen

Votes: 89 41.4%
  • iPhone w/ 4" screen

Votes: 36 16.7%

• Total voters

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
4.8" - 5.0" with a conventional aspect ratio like every other smartphone with displays in that range, is what I want.

I don't consider the "4.0" on my iPhone 5 an upgrade from the display on my iPhone 4S. Retaining the same width was a very bizarre choice.

I'm very motivated to buy an iPhone from Apple that includes a larger display as specified above. Now that... I could get enthused about. A lot.

The thought of Apple restricting the 5S with a replay of the stretched out screen of the iPhone 5 is enough to stop me from buying a new iPhone for the very first time since they were released.

I bought the iPhone 5 and tried hard to find a positive in the "larger" display, but could not. It's just a marketing trick to claim a larger display.

Without that space being useful in the landscape mode, it's no better than their tiny screens of the past.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
By your logic, Apple should've never released different size iMacs, Macbooks, etc etc.

Why not let users have the choice. IMO, they should have a 4inch, 4.5-4.8inch, 5.5inch so we can all pick our favorite.

Edit: At some point, they are going to have to go 1080p (or higher) on the phone, otherwise majority of the mainstream consumers will think of the screen as a disadvantage when cross shopping iphones vs android phones.

Apple is correct for choosing a 4" display. Basically, everyone in the world can use the entire screen one-handed. Go larger, and it becomes more and more difficult for users to do that.

Personally, I'd rather have an iPad mini with a 6"-7" retina display and leave the current iPhone size where it is. That would be far more useful.

When I had my Note 2 I would still carry a smaller phone to make calls, text, email, etc because it was easier but the things the N2 was better at, like doodling or watching Netflix, I wished the screen was bigger.

IMO, there are too many compromises at the ~5" range for a smartphone. People have their opinion and I have mine - smartphones should be easy to use one-handed, and tablets should be just big enough to be different.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
5 and above is way too big. There's something to be said for ease of one-handed use. My Note II got returned after two weeks for just that reason.

Maybe 4.5 might be the perfect compromise.

There's no compromise. Apple have already tried that with 4 inches and annoyed people who didn't think that it was big enough and people who thought it was too big (and a terrible aspect ratio).

They need multiple sizes. Including a high spec 3.5 inch phone.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I'd prefer a larger screen as my eyes are getting worse as I age. Also, for me the size of phone the is really its width. 4 inches on a narrow screen hardly seems useful, and I do not like the size of the iP5. I will not be getting an iP5S (or whatever it is called) if it has the same screen size as the iP5.

I wonder why Apple hasn't adapted the user interface for a large screen. If one accepts that the thumb cannot reach all portions of the screen on a large phone, then why not place essential controls in the area the thumb can reach (a semi circle on the side, which is where many good apps place their controls)? Heck, one could even measure this area during setup, adjusting it for the user's hand. The pressure put on the side of the phone by the metacarpal of the thumb as the user moves the thumb across the screen could be used to pop-up a thumb control. Also why not put voice recognition internal to the iPhone, so commands can be executed without network access?

The problem is not that one cannot operate a large phone with one hand. The problem is that Apple has been unimaginative in providing solutions to using a large phone with one hand.

Last edited:

jdlindsey7

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2010
5.5" would be perfect for me! My job dictates my usage, and 90% of that usage is texting, emailing, viewing documents, and browsing the web. So a large phone would be best for me but I understand others not wanting to hold that large device to their ear for multiple hours/day. That's why I think we need options.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
So far this is interesting, I know there's only 126 votes, but I'm somewhat surprised more people have voted for the 5" screen, I really thought it would be the 4.1"-4.9" by a long shot

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 6

Yes, I would buy another iPhone only if it had a 5 inch screen. I think that is probably the max that smartphones should have otherwise they would be phtablets. The Apple iPhone 5s with the "s" standing for simple, is not worth the money at a 4 inch screen.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'd like to have a 4.3" iPhone 6. Basically a slightly wider display similar to the iPhone 5.

Nothing more than that or you're going to copy the ridiculous Samsung note (ridiculous as a phone I mean).

----------

5.5" would be perfect for me! My job dictates my usage, and 90% of that usage is texting, emailing, viewing documents, and browsing the web. So a large phone would be best for me but I understand others not wanting to hold that large device to their ear for multiple hours/day. That's why I think we need options.

Anything above 4.7" isn't a phone anymore, IMHO ...

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
I don't have any need at all for a larger screen than my iPhone 4. I have an iPad if I want something a little larger and I have my 27" iMac for Photoshop.

See here is a problem, you still have to carry / devices, if you had a 5" phone, you'd only use one.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
I think Apple will go to just over 4", no more.

That would seem to be the sweet spot. Even Anand and Brian agree with that.

For me, the iPhone 5’s display is a little too small, and the One is probably a little too big. I think I agree with Brian here in that the ideal display size is somewhere around 4.3”.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Without a doubt Apple should offer different screen sizes. Despite those who say Apple is always right and that the 4" screen is perfect there are those who say Apple is always right and the 3.5" screen is perfect. Its pretty clear that the 3.5" devices will fade away since the rumored cheap iPhone will take the its place as the cheaper model.

Bottom line is if Apple can justify a lower end device they certainly can justify a larger displayed device. I know "retina" is perfect, well not really I have to put my phone in landscape mode all of the time to read most of my emails, type messages, etc. If the screen was 4.5"-5" then they could bump the screen resolution to keep up with the real retina displays.

GBR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
See here is a problem, you still have to carry / devices, if you had a 5" phone, you'd only use one.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I thought the iPad mini would be the answer. And, it has been significantly more useful than my larger iPad, but I still have to carry 2 devices if I want the option of using a larger screen. That's why I believe 5" with as little bezel as possible is the answer. It is still pocketable but the larger screen makes many tasks much easier and more enjoyable than they are on the narrow 4" i5.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
4.1-4.9 for me. I think if they made it like 4.5 and wider not just taller, that would quite alot of those complaining.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I think this poll clearly shows the the 4 inch screen of the iPhone 5 is still too small. Anyone here still repeating the line that a 3.5 inch screen is the "perfect" size?

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Yes. In fact, I will be getting a Nexus phone if there is no larger screen iPhone when I am ready to buy.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I would not spend my money on a 5" iPhone because I think that would be just a tad too big to be practical, though I might be swayed if I actually held it in my hands and it was something other than the flat squared off slabs Apple seems so fond of.

Choice number 2 is too much of a range. I would NOT spend my hard earned money on a 4.1" phone, a 4.2" phone, a 4.3" phone, nor a 4.4" phone. I also wouldn't spend a dime on the iPhone 5's 4" tall/skinny screen.

I would spend my money on a 4.5" - 4.8" iPhone.

If Apple offers none of these, I'll stick with my 4S until it dies and go with someone else who offers something I don't need reading glasses to use.

Think about it though. We won't get a larger screen this year. That's just the way Apple works. It's a warmed over 5S, so get used to it.

That means, if Apple is going to give us a larger phone, it won't be until late 2014 and that's a million years in tech time. You could get a larger phone elsewhere on contract and dang near have it payed off by the time Apple comes to the party.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
The phone is not as it used to be when iPhone was introduced, 3.5 or 4" doesn't cut it.
With everything we do in our phones/ mobile devices we need 5" or even higher.
If I could put iPhone into galaxy note 2 body, I would gladly do it/ pay for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.