Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thicker and heavier for larger battery?

• Yes

Votes: 67 72.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MacLappy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2011
Singapore
Greater battery life is a huge plus, especially if you use your iPhone much! Will I trade 3mm and 50grams for more battery? Absolutely.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
The Iphone 5 has by far the worst battery life of almost any phone I've ever had, save for maybe the very first 4G LTE phones that came out. You have to have the screen at 15% brightness with wifi, Bluetooth, Location Services and GPS turned off to have a decent battery life. It's not just my phone, it's all my friends Iphones 5's as well.

It takes a real delusional Apple Fanboy/girl to think otherwise.

Average battery life on my Galaxy S3 is 6 hours with normal usage and about 13 hours off of the charger. On my Droid DNA I'm lucky to get 5 hours of usage, let alone even 12 hours of the phone being off of the charger. Normal battery life on my iPhone 5 is 9.5 hours and about 26 hours off the charger.

So, I'm not delusional Apple fanboy, but your statement is an opinion. The iPhone 5 is very, very far from the "worst battery life of almost any phone". It already beats two flagship phones in the market currently.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
DOuble the damn thickness and give me a battery life > 8 hrs please please please,

Have the Samsung Galaxy SII at the moment, and i get between 16 and 22hrs out of it (and thats streaming HD movies on netflix whilst traveling on the train, using the GPS for an hour or so as well as all the usual stuff like listening to music etc), when i had an iPhone (3Gs and then 4s) i was having to charge it by lunchtime or it would be dead around 4pm (from undocking at 7am), only the original iPhone had a battery that lasted me a full day, but then it was also the best weighted, and best shape and design to hold IMO

So my choice with the iPhone 5 would be buy another couple of cables, and keep it charging as much as possible when in my car, or on the train and when possible at a desk, or buy a Fugly ass battery boosting case.

Not ideal apple, not ideal at all, if you are going to start offering multiple sizes and models of the iPhone this year, how about a thick PRO battery version that lasts a full day ?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I already go two days+ on a charge hitting 10-11hr usage, on the fanciest most powerful, thinnest smartphone there is.

I don't see the point.

3mm extra thickness on a device that is 7.6mm thick... is a lot. 40% thicker.

----------

Same here. My iPhone usually ends the day with 80%+ battery remaining.

I call bs unless you don't use it.

80% at the end of the day indicates he used 2 hours of the ~10hour usage.

That's probable for a person with a job, friends, and life. At work for 8-9 hours, generally busy but an occasional check. Dinner out, paying attention to friends and holding discussion rather than staring at screen fidgeting with idevice.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
When I played with the 5 at ATT, I felt it was too thin and too light for such a 'premium' device (dare I say cheap feeling?). I'd gladly trade a little thickness/weight for more battery life.

It would also add a bit to it's structural strength so you wouldn't be afraid to bend over with it in your front jean pocket.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I call bs unless you don't use it.
The summary below pretty much nails my usage -- occasional and quick email/text/Facebook checks throughout the day. I'm on WiFi both and home and work, which I think helps too.

80% at the end of the day indicates he used 2 hours of the ~10hour usage.

That's probable for a person with a job, friends, and life. At work for 8-9 hours, generally busy but an occasional check. Dinner out, paying attention to friends and holding discussion rather than staring at screen fidgeting with idevice.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
The summary below pretty much nails my usage -- occasional and quick email/text/Facebook checks throughout the day. I'm on WiFi both and home and work, which I think helps too.

i'm pretty much the same...
at work with wifi for 8-9 hours, at the end of the work hours, im usually at 85% ish. thats at 5-6pm. by the end of the night before bed im usually approaching 50%.
and that's on an iphone 4s, no games, no heavy usage, brand new battery (apple store replaced).. how is this possible

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The Iphone 5 has by far the worst battery life of almost any phone I've ever had, save for maybe the very first 4G LTE phones that came out. You have to have the screen at 15% brightness with wifi, Bluetooth, Location Services and GPS turned off to have a decent battery life. It's not just my phone, it's all my friends Iphones 5's as well.

Um, no? I'm sorry that's your experience, but don't try to project that to all iPhone 5 owners. My 5 has fantastic battery life.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm currently at 5 hours 20 min use / 1 day 11 hours standby with 44% remaining, so no. I easily make it through any day, usually over 50% remaining, so I'm good with that. More bulk for essentially no practical added benefit... no thanks.

----------

Do you spend your days in a cement box with no cell signal at all, so the phone is constantly searching? that's the ONLY way what you said could make any sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.