Would you trade your Mac for another one for free?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ITASOR, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. ITASOR macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #1
    Curious how many people have their "dream" or favorite computer out there.

    If you could, tomorrow, trade the Mac you currently have for 1 (one) of Apple's current computers, would you do it?

    No, you can't trade it for a loaded 17" pb, sell the PB and buy something else. I'm talking about trading it for something you would keep and use. Let's also ignore RAM, HD, and Graphics. Duh, who wouldn't trade their computer for an exact one with more memory/hd/etc.

    So, would you?

    I think about it for a long time. I have the iBook 12" 1.33 (in my signature) and I really really like it. I decided that I would NOT trade it for any of Apple's current line up, not even a 12" PB (for the common reasons).

    The only way I could see myself doing that is if Apple added the Superdrive option to the 12" iBook, but it would have to be a 16x dual layer, or else I wouldn't want it.
     
  2. solvs macrumors 603

    solvs

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    LaLaLand, CA
    #2
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

    I would trade my old Performa 6400 for a new G5 in a heart beat. Same with my now dead Beige G3. If I had gotten a refurb G5, and a new one came out next week with dual cores, yeah I would trade. But it depends. Sometimes the new one isn't as good as the old one if you look at similar specs, but if you're looking at the same price range, newer is usually better.

    Just out of curiosity, why do ask?
     
  3. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2003
    #3
    Nope. If any of the current crop were right for me, I would've upgraded by now. My 6-going-on-7 year old (significantly upgraded*) WallStreet still rocks though.

    No way I'm trading it for a new PB that only has ~3x the processor oomph, ~3x the RAM capacity, significantly less speedy and roomy and reliable hard-disk configuration, and won't boot OS 9 (or OS 8) natively. Not even for the gigabit ethernet.

    I'm hoping for a dual-core G4 to replace it with, but having waited this long I can wait a little longer. Nothing really wrong with the old rig!


    * 500 MHz Sonnet G4, 512 MB RAM, dual hard disks both 7200 RPM Hitachi 60 giggers. Boots MacOS 8.1, 8.6, 9.0.4, 9.2.2, 10.2.8, and 10.3.8 from various dedicated partitions. SCSI, classic mac serial, ADB, 16-bit sound, S-Video out, VGA out, and infrared = native ports. USB, FireWire, extended video over DVI, airport = add-ons via CardBus (2 card capacity). Choice of 24x CDRW or DVD-ROM or Floppy or ZIP or SuperDisk drives, or battery, in remaining expansion bay module (CDRW by default). Machine is old enough to boot MacOS 8.0 (and from a floppy disk, no less!) yet can run the latest versio of Tiger (not currently using 10.4).
     
  4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

    Le Big Mac

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #4
    Lukewarm. If they had a G5 in the iMac G4 form-factor, I wouldn't hesitate though to trade up.
     
  5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

    Patmian212

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Location:
    NYC
    #5
    Clamshell form factor, you either love it or hate it, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     
  6. dcv macrumors G3

    Joined:
    May 24, 2005
    #6
    Well I have a current model (12" PowerBook) and love it. I only have the ComboDrive one though, so i might be tempted to trade it for the SuperDrive, but not really that bothered. I certainly wouldn't swap it for any other mac.
     
  7. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

    cheekyspanky

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2004
    Location:
    South Bucks, UK
    #7
    I'd trade my Mac mini for an iMac - that's what I would've bought anyway if I didn't have a monitor already!

    The G5 would also be a nice bonus.
     
  8. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

    JupiterTwo

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2003
    Location:
    GB
    #8
    I only bought my iMac in July, so I'm still loving it :) - I thought about a PowerMac then but I know I made the right choice, so no, nothing to make me trade that in.

    My iBook - maybe, but I've had a it a good while, and now that I've taken it apart a few times I think I'm quite attached to it :eek: :) :)
     
  9. Verto macrumors 6502a

    Verto

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2005
    Location:
    Denton, TX
    #9
    I would trade my 17'' iMac for a 20'' iMac, but that's it. The PowerMac is hideous.
     
  10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

    QCassidy352

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2003
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #10
    well, sure. I'd trade my ibook for a 12" powerbook, or my G5 for a better G5... I mean, why wouldn't I?
     
  11. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #11
    I have the current 15" PowerBook and no I wouldn't trade it for a 17". I also have a Power Mac G5 of course I'd exchange that for the current top of the range model. My GF has a Rev A iMac G5 of course we would swap that for a Rev B.

    BTW What is the point of this thread, seems kind of pointless?
     
  12. Xephian macrumors 6502a

    Xephian

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    United States
    #12
    I'd trade my PPC PB for a Intel PB when they come out.
     
  13. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

    AlBDamned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    #13
    If anything, I'd probably consider an upgrade from a 15 to a 17" Powerbook. Not using it as much for travel as I was so the portability issue isn't as important and they don't seem to have as many problems as the 15s. Not much need for anything more at home. A PM or G5 iMac would be nice but probably overkill and they don't sit too well on your lap!
     
  14. Applespider macrumors G4

    Applespider

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Location:
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    #14
    Of course I would. My 15" Powerbook is 18 months old; if someone came along and said I could trade it in for a new 15" PB for free, I'd be daft not to!
    But I wouldn't consider trading up at the moment and paying the difference.
     
  15. alexstein macrumors 6502a

    alexstein

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2004
    #15
    it would depend. if it would be a straight up trade yes i would trade my 14" ibook G4 1.2 in a heart beat for a new 15" inch pb (who wouldn't). but if i had to pay the difference no way.

    i'm waiting until next year to take the plunge on a new mactel pb. i have to start a pb fund so i will be ready by the time the second generation comes around. can't wait.
     
  16. alexstein macrumors 6502a

    alexstein

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2004
    #16

    you hit the nail on the head with your post i couldn't agree more!!
     
  17. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

    AlBDamned

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2005
    #17
    In a way, it's a subtle way of demonstrating Apple's pretty stagnant current line up. Most of the current range doesn't differ a great deal compared to the ones they were selling a year or more ago. Most of the upgrades have been pretty dull.

    There hasn't been a Nano-type launch event in the Macintosh line-up for too long.
     
  18. ITASOR thread starter macrumors 601

    ITASOR

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2005
    Location:
    Oneida, NY
    #18
    Sorry. There isn't a point, really. Just curious to see how much people like their computer over another.

    For example, I wanted to see how many would choose an iBook over a PB, etc. It interests me.
     
  19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #19
    if it was an iMac G5 20"..that would be a very tough decsion.
     
  20. devilot Moderator emeritus

    devilot

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    #20
    If I was a bigger/stronger person, than I might, just might choose a 15" PB over my 12" iBook... but I don't wish to go back to a 12"PB. :D
     
  21. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

    AoWolf

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Daytona Beach
    #21
    I would trade my 12" iBook for a 15" Powerbook. I like the screen size better but still want portability.
     
  22. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

    Heb1228

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2004
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    #22
    I agree. I've got a 2-year old 17" PB, and the brand new ones are not much different than this one was when I bought it. Especially considering I've now upgraded to a 5400 RPM drive. I mean, the jump from 1.33 to 1.67 would be nice, but its not a big difference. In fact, my PB gets better benchmark scores than some 1.67 PBs on xBench's website. I guess I'd get BT 2.0 and and better video card, but considering this machine is 2 years, old, thats not much difference.

    I think I bought this one at probably the best possible time to buy one.
     
  23. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

    jiv3turkey748

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2004
    Location:
    atlanta
    #23
    as long as the computer i traded it for was nicer i would for sure
     
  24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

    RedTomato

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    .. London ..
    #24
    Hmm.

    My PB 15'' 1.5 GHZ *is* kinda my dream computer :)

    I'd like a 12'' PB for even easier portablity, but I would still want to keep my 15'', it't the perfect balance between luggablity and screen size.

    A dual G5 loaded Powermac would also be nice for film work, but my PB does my actual film work pretty well. And I'd still want to keep my PB....

    So yes, I would swap my PB only for *both* a loaded 12'' PB and a loaded Powermac.

    If I had to swap it for a single computer ... nah!!!!

    xoxo

    RedTomato
     
  25. joepunk macrumors 68030

    joepunk

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2004
    Location:
    a profane existence
    #25
    Right now, probably not. If I were to trade my PB for another PB, I would want the 15" but since I cannot upgrade the HD/Graphics then no thank you on the trade. If I were to want a non-portable PM then more than likely yes.
     

Share This Page