would you trust...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adiliegro, Oct 4, 2004.

1. adiliegro macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2004
    Ebay to buy a PowerMac G5? I have seen them on there decently priced and have been tempted.
  2. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

Jan 24, 2004
    Cadillac, MI
    Yes, under a few conditions:

1) Make sure it's a reputable seller--lots of good feedback, very little bad.

2) Don't buy from sellers using "generic" photos (the ones from catalogs and web pages)

3) Stay in your country--buying from sellers in other countries is asking for trouble, especially on big-ticket items.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I'll post them if I think about them. Good luck :) !
  3. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    Depends on the feedback on the seller -- just whatever you do, don't settle the sale outside of eBay
  4. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    I'd take a good look at the buyer and do some checking but I'd consider it *if* the price were good. Keep in mind, if the price looks too good, it probably is.

Suggestions to avoid fraud would be: Buy only from a reputable bidder. Pay with credit card, not PayPal if you can avoid it. It's a good idea to contact the buyer by phone as well (you can request this info once bidding is over). That way you can verify that the account hasn't been hijacked (scam artists hack into accounts with good feedback to scam people). Do not pay by wire transfer or money order.

That said, my experience is that if the price looks good, it usually gets bid up high enough that it's not worth it in the end. Things there tend to go too high.
  5. earthtoandy macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2003
    pay with a credit card!!! credit card companies dont enjoy fraud against their customers.. they have big time high paid international lawyers who will kick some ass for you if need be:)
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    ebay covers purchases under certain criteria.