Would you use Windows...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Dec 28, 2006.

?

Would you use Windows...

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    41.6%
  3. Maybe

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

If it wasn't so vulnerable to viruses, and didn't crash?

Some people I have seen only switched to Mac because of this, not because they didn't like the interface.

What about you? Would you use it if it didn't crash? Or would the interface trun you away?

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nope. Graphic designers, especially those who work in print, don't do Windows for various reasons.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I'd probably buy myself a typewriter and dig out my drawing-board again.

4. vniow macrumors G4

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I switched before viruses and spyware and stuff was really huge.

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Nope. OSs aside and, until I make the Intel jump, I'd have to change my application wardrobe, and it's comfortable enough.

7. fatandlazy11 macrumors member

fatandlazy11

I loved Windows interface.

It just crahsed too darn much.

8. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

I don't dislike windows, i grew up using it. I always liked it, but I haven't cared for it since switching. If os x is an option, there is no way i'm using windows. that said, i do have a 20 gb windows partition on my macbook, because it's handy to have around.

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would not use windows. I don't like having laptops twice as thick as they should be and the design of the OS matter greatly to me. If I'm going to be staring at it all day, it should be designed to look good (both the OS and the computer). I also like the built-in programs of OS X moreso than windows, such as Safari, Dashboard, Dictionary, Mail and more. I didn't switch because of viruses, I switched because I wanted something better.

10. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

no, viruses and stability weren't the reasons I switched. it just works, I prefer the unix heritage over DOS, and while I dont hate the windows interface I like the OS X tenfold better.

11. Annndy! macrumors regular

Annndy!

I don't mind Windows, it's just not worth the pain and headache it tends to cause.

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I don't mind windows at all. Actually, I'm browsing on my PC right now. :p I just like OSX better.

13. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Probably not. After getting used to the Finder, Windows Explorer just feels clunky and un-navigable. Not having to worry about viruses is nice, and of course aesthetics play a big part.

14. TestingtheSky macrumors newbie

I don't think so. I just find it a lot more confusing now that I have been using a Mac.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I can make my PC pretty safe, secure, and solid (for the most part) and I still prefer OS X. You can customize Windows all day, it still sucks and when I use it, I just want it out of my way. Even with my issues with the Finder, I still prefer it.

Especially if I add a couple of things like FruitMenu, Default Folder X, Onyx, Uno, Witch...

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I use both, everyday.. and will continue to do so in perpetuity.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I do use Windows at the hospital. It's not perfect, but Trillian and Firefox go a long way towards helping. It's certainly not pretty.

I would consider using Windows at home if...

1) Vista turns out to run smoothly and relatively hiccup free
    2) There is a vast improvement in the device setup types of tasks in Windows
    3) No virus, adware, spyware concern
    4) Someone made Windows products as gorgeous as Apple's products.
    5) The Windows world had community like the Mac world, or at least the MR crew, does.

18. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

If that happened, I'd go to my room, look out the window and wave to the flying pigs, while watching the devil play ice hockey!:D

19. Quboid macrumors 6502

I do use windows sometimes, I love MAC and i would never switch back. But windows' interface is not what i dont like about it, i think the interface is pretty nice. (not comparing it to OSX ofcourse)

20. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

At present the desktops are all running Windows 2000. Only the laptop is Mac so far.

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I chose Mac over Windows infested PCs back in 1994 after an over all assessment. Look and feel, user interface, quality and price was the decisive factors. Viruses wasn't a big problem on either platform, and in all fairness, bombs on the Mac was just as regular as crashes under Windows 3.11, or even more so (but with Windows 95 and the popularization of the BSOD :)D), Macs seemed like an even better choice).

22. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Even without considering any sort of stability (I'm not sure that Windows is actually more unstable than OSX anymore) or security issues, OSX just provides a vastly better user experience than Windows, imo.

23. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Yes, I used Windows at work, and also find it necessary for some classwork and some small scientific apps. My brew-puter is a little Toshiba lap-brick that has Win95 on it, and I'm not sure I've got the will to brew without my brewing software and the databases I've built. Now that I'm not working on a Windows network, I've only got application-specific reasons to use it. :)

We've got 2 Macs and a brew-puter at the moment, and only the latter runs Windows.

24. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I use Windows everyday on my work supplied laptop. I only use it to send work data and check e-mail on it. I haven't had any problems with it, but I do limit my use of it. I do prefer my Mac for everything else.

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I HAVE to use Windows, but to make it better;

- Nicer interface. Pop ups that didn't pop up every boot. there they are "found! Cingery T2!" *wait a minute* "cannot install"
    - Safer environment. I have AVG running but I still feel like I'm running around naked without protection in a brothel. AVG just adds slippers.

think that's it. I'd never leave OSX as my main OS, pity XP still has to be used for Half Life 2 and my own developing.