Would you want a thicker iPhone if battery life improved?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thermal, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Would you prefer a thicker iPhone with increased battery life?

1. Yes - increase iPhone thickness and increase battery life.

82 vote(s)
    71.3%
  2. No - keep iPhone thickness and abttery life same as with iPhone 5

26 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. Next iPhone should be thinner with slightly decreased battery life.

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. macrumors regular

For the next iPhone, would you prefer the thickness of the iPhone 5 with identical battery life, or would you prefer a thicker iPhone (say iPhone4 size) with an increase in battery life?

2. macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Make the next iPhone as thin as the iPod touch.

3. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Thicker, I want this one, battery lasts a week.

[​IMG]

4. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I liked the thickness and heft of the iPhone 4/4S. I think if they made the next iPhone that thickness and gave it much better battery life they would have a winner.

5. macrumors 68020

I want it thinner with same battery life as iPhone 5.

That is how it usually works.

6. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

No i want thinner and the current battery life is good for me. It lasts me all day until I get home.

7. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

no thicker and no thinner, want the same or better battery, went for the 2nd option

8. macrumors 68040

My current 4s' battery life is more than enough to last me through the day, though that is also partly because I don't really do anything heavy with it. I do have an external battery pack for the rare occasion I need more battery life (brought my class out for an excursion once, and between weak 3G and constant photo-taking/uploading, my phone was down from 100% to 30+% before noon!

9. r2shyyou, Apr 18, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013

macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I'd prefer this, though it sounds a long way off:

New teeny-tiny battery charges in less than a second

EDIT: To answer this question appropriately, I'd prefer a slightly thicker phone if that meant an increase in battery life.

10. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I feel like my batter life on my iPhone 5 is more than enough for me. I wouldn't sacrifice the thickness for a bigger battery.

11. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't mind if they increased the thickness back to what it was for the iPhone 4.

12. macrumors 68000

How about just making it wider for a 4.3 inch screen?

And, there is no rule that says they have to make it thicker to improve battery life. Apple has slightly improved battery life each release without making it thicker. I would assume they will find a way to do it again.

13. macrumors 68000

Bacong

people will complain about battery life up until the very moment we have unlimited battery life. It's a pointless exercise.

Personally, I know what to expect from a device. I know that if I sit there and slam the LTE radios with the brightness all the way up with bluetooth on and playing games it's not going to last very long. iPhone 5's battery life works great for me and hasn't prevented me from enjoying it in any way (although I'd prefer screen brightness maxed)

14. macrumors 601

Am wondering whether the 4/s has more internal real estate, or the thickness is just due to the back glass?

15. macrumors 65816

adam044

My battery last all day (8:30-12/1AM) and I charge it at night. What more can you want? The possibility of making the battery last 2 full days is just not likely and why would it matter we all sleep at some point so just plug it in.

16. macrumors 6502

srsub3

My battery is good... I don't want any thicker iPhone... this is good enough to me...

17. macrumors regular

jackwills

18. macrumors 604

cynics

I'd gladly take an iPhone 5 that was as thick as an iPhone 4/4S if it had a larger longer lasting battery.

I'm a heavy user and I get no where near making it through a standard work day.

19. macrumors newbie

I am willing to compromise the thickness to gain more power. I hate to keep thinking about my phone needs to be charged.

20. macrumors 68000

I loved the form factor of the iPhone 4/4S so I would totally be ok with a newer iphone that had that level of thickness again along with the 4+ inch screen size.

21. macrumors 68020

sviato

How thin do these things have to be? Battery life is more crucial than 2mm of space in the pocket imo :rolleyes:

22. macrumors member

Battery life is awesome. Charge mine every other day with no problem and streaming pandora 1-2 hrs a day

23. macrumors 604

lordofthereef

The third option is silly... The fact that the next phone may be thinner does not translate to slightly worse battery life at all.

24. macrumors newbie

I love the width of the iphone 5 but seriously if i can have about 7 hours of usage i can live with a thicker model.

Last night i was lucky to have 5 hours of usage until it dropped to 3% # hows everybody else's battery life?

25. macrumors member

I've had my iPhone 5 since September and since then whenever I pick up a 4/4S it feels like I'm handling a dinosaur. I think if they kept the new 4" screen size and increased the overall thickness it would be awkward to hold. The current thickness is beautiful and very impressive, and I'd rather not give that up.