Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Agreed that Apple should make all stock apps updateable via App Store. Seems pretty stupid that they have to push a software update, which users have to install manually, instead of using the App Store where the apps are updated in the background.

Reactions: tonyr6

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple is much more careful about iOS updates--takes more to create one (even if it's just for a few small things for one particular app), to test it, to set it up for release, and to actually release it. Certainly a much bigger and different undertaking than just a simple app update in the App Store.
Yes but the 'Music' app in iOS uses so many non-public APIs and other deep hooks into the OS that updating only the app bundle would only allow them to do so much. They need to update the OS when they want to improve the 'Music' app because the 'Music' app relies so much on special provisions for it written into the OS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes but the 'Music' app in iOS uses so many non-public APIs and other deep hooks into the OS that updating only the app bundle would only allow them to do so much. They need to update the OS when they want to improve the 'Music' app because the 'Music' app relies so much on special provisions for it written into the OS.
Yes. I believe the point that was attempted to be made is that it would be better if it wasn't so integrated or even if it was still possible to update outside of a whole OS update, as various apps are in Android, for example. That certainly isn't the reality so far.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
As an App wouldn't it be able to receive regular updates as glitches are discovered as is now it can only be updated thru IOS updates or am I missing something ?

Nothing is stopping Apple from issuing multiple 8.4.x updates that address Music app issues. Absolutely nothing.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Unfortunately that is not correct. Any iOS update, even for a single app, requires a high amount of regression testing.

Nothing is stopping Apple from issuing multiple 8.4.x updates that address Music app issues. Absolutely nothing.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
So? Doing your job is a problem now? WTF?
Don't get trollish. My point is that something is stopping Apple from doing an update for just a single app. Since Apple's apps are all so integrated in the OS, it's not as simple for them to update a single app as it would be for a third party developer. It's not worth Apple's time for one app. So instead they do less frequent larger iOS updates.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
Don't get trollish. My point is that something is stopping Apple from doing an update for just a single app. Since Apple's apps are all so integrated in the OS, it's not as simple for them to update a single app as it would be for a third party developer. It's not worth Apple's time for one app. So instead they do less frequent larger iOS updates.

And I'm saying stop being ignorant philosopher. This is their job. They released a half-assed service. Again. ****ing fix it. Period.

It's not my problem what underlying issues they have. Again, it's their job. At this point i can't even evaluate the damn thing. I feel like i'm testing an alpha version at Apple. They should be paying me for this instead not the other way around.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
This thread is a discussion of why it might be better (or not) if Apple Music was a separate app. I've explained why, as an integrated app, it's difficult for Apple to roll out updates for just the Music app.

I'm not sure what you're going on about.

And I'm saying stop being ignorant philosopher. This is their job. They released a half-assed service. Again. ****ing fix it. Period.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
This thread is a discussion of why it might be better (or not) if Apple Music was a separate app. I've explained why, as an integrated app, it's difficult for Apple to roll out updates for just the Music app.

I'm not sure what you're going on about.

It's no more or less difficult than usually. You just have the imagination to think of all kinds of 'whys' to make it difficult.

Yes, poor apple indeed.

Reactions: Liam555

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
A separate app would be great. I could ignore it.

I suspect that's why it isn't.

I'm now looking for a clean, simple replacement iOS music player app for everyday use. The Apple Music app is bloatware to me.

Reactions: MacrumoursUser

tradewell

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
it will be interesting to see how they will keep this app up-to-date. It has many bugs and is it really realistic to ask people to update their entire iOS each time they need to squash the bug in the music app.

I'm currently experiencing problems with saving songs to a playlist. I would say 90% don't get saved to the playlist I have yet to figure out a pattern. But shortly I will be switching back to Spotify until they sort this out.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
It's been a while since I've used it, and not sure your needs for the app, but check out Ecoute. For something also nice but more full featured, check out Marvis.

A separate app would be great. I could ignore it.

I suspect that's why it isn't.

I'm now looking for a clean, simple replacement iOS music player app for everyday use. The Apple Music app is bloatware to me.

Reactions: Arran

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Apple Music may in fact force Apple to finally think about this problem. Not just for bug fixes, but feature enhancements as well.

it will be interesting to see how they will keep this app up-to-date. It has many bugs and is it really realistic to ask people to update their entire iOS each time they need to squash the bug in the music app.

I'm currently experiencing problems with saving songs to a playlist. I would say 90% don't get saved to the playlist I have yet to figure out a pattern. But shortly I will be switching back to Spotify until they sort this out.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
There already was one.....it was called "Beats" and that's what Apple Music should have continued to be.

Should have kept "Beats" app, renamed it Apple Music with all this stuff in it and bring back the "iPod" App for those of us that like our manually synced files "as it's always been"

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
The more posts I read, the more I think Apple messed up combining their streaming service with one's personally owned music. As previously commented, Apple should have repurposed the Beats app. It could even do the same thing in terms of *also* including ones personal library. But they should have kept a separate Music app that made it clear what is actually yours.

Reactions: Arran

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's no more or less difficult than usually. You just have the imagination to think of all kinds of 'whys' to make it difficult.

Yes, poor apple indeed.
Of course an iOS update would be much more of undertaking than an individual App Store app update.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
That's certainly clear as mud.

I really have no idea what fairy dust you all are snorting, but its no different. The only difference that if it was a standalone app which you would be able to download from the App Store it would appear in app store as an update, but it's not, so it would appear as a software update in settings. Thats the whole difference. If that software update addresses juts one app then thats what it does. that software update would contain a diff for that app not some magically complicated ********.

it doesn't make difference if that app is standalone or shipped with the os the apis and the system integration doesn't change.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I'm the only one who realy like Apple music because of my streaming music is in the same place as my owned music? I think its a big selling point for many people. All my friends loves it because of this feature alone. I barely use Spotify because of this. Many people wanted A.M. because of the direct integration with the OS and your personnal music.

If you realy don't want apple music you can just disable it in the settings, the music app is much like before when you do this.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I really have no idea what fairy dust you all are snorting, but its no different. The only difference that if it was a standalone app which you would be able to download from the App Store it would appear in app store as an update, but it's not, so it would appear as a software update in settings. Thats the whole difference. If that software update addresses juts one app then thats what it does. that software update would contain a diff for that app not some magically complicated ********.

it doesn't make difference if that app is standalone or shipped with the os the apis and the system integration doesn't change.
And that is the very part that this thread is about. All the rest is some fairy dust indeed.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
And that is the very part that this thread is about. All the rest is some fairy dust indeed.

So wtf does that change have you ever seen how the software update looks and what it contains? Jesus the brainwashing is reaching critical levels in this forum.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I use Pandora, google Music, Spotify, Tidal (first month free), Iheart, etc.

They are all apps. Ipso facto......, :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.