Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fredstar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Near London
Sorry if this has been discussed before but wouldn't it be great if they brought out an imovie ipod where you could watch all your video clips/photos and store all your music on.
Now that Apple have gone down the photo route and have discarded the movie playback route are we not going to see a development of an imovie ipod anytime soon?
Again sorry if this has been discussed before but just wondering your views
Fredstar

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Coming from a movie exec, I can see why he doesn't want movies. He has the same fears as the record companies. I really wanted an iPod that can play movies. At least ones that I create with iMovie.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
ohh you mean the vPod ;) , a very known topic around MR, of course it would be great but it would kill apple as the movie companies will be after them because of piracy and will forget their hardware and software... it will be a long time before they can find a safe way to let you put video in your pod, that's why I got the *photoPod*, for my photos will be ok, I don't think that someone here has a real hope about the vPod coming soon.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
It will happen. Apple's just waiting until there is a critical mass of interest in portable video.

For Apple, I reckon, the issue is more with content management than with hardware. If video is as easy to buy and transfer to a portable device as it is with music, Apple WILL make the hardware to play it. And we're not talking about the crappy 320x240 resolution players out there; expect nothing but the highest quality from Apple--something like a 640x480 or 720x480 (DVD quality).

People love to watch video on the plane and on long road trips. Add to this the capability to do more advanced photo storage/display and possibilities for running keynote/powerpoint slide shows. And Apple is really pushing video conferencing these days. Why not make a device to take video conferencing portable?

I'd like to see Apple create a new video content management software in the itunes vein. This video app will let you download movies and shows from a video store (for rental and for purhcase) and let you record TV like Tivo.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I think that eventually we will have a video iPod but first we need to see the evolution of the color iPod to flow through the entire line, which I think will eventually see. My guess is depending on the success of the color iPod will depend on any video options.

If they do implement a video iPod, I bet they start with some sort of downloading music videos on to the iPod for payback. I also think that once implemented, it will remain the iPod, no name change.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
vPod with TV out sounds nice, but I see little use for video on the device itself.

If Apple could negotiate an online Video Store similar to iTunes Music Store I think it could be a success, vPod or no vPod. Movies in the upcoming AVC format should have devent quality with files sizes less than 650MB.

I think the movie companies are warming up to the idea. They have become increasingly aware of the problem of online sharing and they see the success of iTMS. What's the next logical step? I think we'll see Steve Jobs announce something in January on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.