Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I know it wasn't even on the radar, but it would be nice to have that feature and not have to switch out of the appleTV.

If it is streamed,they have to pay the networks. It would be awesome to have the ability to hook up an antenna, set a station number to an icon in the app store, click on said icon and watch local nbc via antenna.

Maybe soon. Maybe never.

Last edited:

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
That would assume that it would have a tuner in it. Kinda defeats the purpose of the unit methinks.

Not if the point of the TV is to be THE tv box, especially for cord cutters. Since they are having so much trouble getting agreements with local stations, adding this functionality would have solved a lot of problems for them. Most people have the ability to get free local HD stations with a decent antenna.

Looks like I'll have to get a Tablo for this. According to the Tablo forums, they are starting on an app for the TV so it's a decent compromise, just more money I wish I didn't have to spend.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Not if the point of the TV is to be THE tv box, especially for cord cutters. Since they are having so much trouble getting agreements with local stations, adding this functionality would have solved a lot of problems for them. Most people have the ability to get free local HD stations with a decent antenna.

Looks like I'll have to get a Tablo for this. According to the Tablo forums, they are starting on an app for the TV so it's a decent compromise, just more money I wish I didn't have to spend.

But doesn't your TV have a tuner? I have two things connected to my TV: an antenna and an AppleTV. I literally have to push 1 button to switch between the two. It could not be easier as it currently is. It doesn't need an ATSC tuner.

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
But doesn't your TV have a tuner? I have two things connected to my TV: an antenna and an AppleTV. I literally have to push 1 button to switch between the two. It could not be easier as it currently is. It doesn't need an ATSC tuner.

That won't get you a dvr or a channel guide. I don't want to live without being able to rewind a show a little if I miss something, either. I'm reminded of this every time I stay in a hotel. Plus, with the Tablo I can watch live tv anywhere on my iPhone.

Last edited:

Butchie-T

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Colorado

This is the way to go! Nice post. The TV has the tuner and the antenna connects to the tv. ATV is an additional input and can live together quite nicely together.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
That won't get you a dvr or a channel guide. I don't want to live without being able to rewind a show a little if I miss something, either.

You have a point about the DVR and channel guide. That is a legit reason. For my use case, it is not important because with the AppleTV and Netflix and Hulu (and iTunes), I feel like I don't need a DVR anymore so I only use live TV for news and live events (like sports).

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX

Yes, but i'd have to switch the tv input to antenna and switch the receiver input to TV. My connections go from source to receiver to tv. It would be easier to just use a single remote and hit an app icon to get the channels I watch. An ATSC tuner would be a nice convenient addition.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yes, but i'd have to switch the tv input to antenna and switch the receiver input to TV. My connections go from source to receiver to tv. It would be easier to just use a single remote and hit an app icon to get the channels I watch. An ATSC tuner would be a nice convenient addition.

Check out https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ . They sell either a 2-tuner or 4-tuner device that streams OTA content over your local network, and also allows recording content to a USB drive like a DVR. On their forums, they have said that their iOS team is looking forward to working on the tvOS dev kit, so I'm sure they will have an app ready soon. If their iOS, Roku, AndroidTV, and FireTV apps are any indication, it will be exactly what you (and I) are looking for.

Reactions: chukronos and Menel

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Check out https://www.tablotv.com/tablo-products/ . They sell either a 2-tuner or 4-tuner device that streams OTA content over your local network, and also allows recording content to a USB drive like a DVR. On their forums, they have said that their iOS team is looking forward to working on the tvOS dev kit, so I'm sure they will have an app ready soon. If their iOS, Roku, AndroidTV, and FireTV apps are any indication, it will be exactly what you (and I) are looking for.
this is very interesting
adding to my amazon wishlist

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It wouldn't be useful to people in other countries that don't use ATSC. And the number of people that use ATSC is very small relative to cable users.

A better option would be having a network tuner like a HDHomeRun and an app that will stream from those tuners.

Silicon dust is working on their DVR and they're making an iPad app. I think an apple tv app would be a no brainier.

Edit. This Tablo thing looks pretty cool. The HDHomeRun DVR sound similar, but with cable card support

EDIT 2 - apparently, I was wrong about HDHomeRun DVR having an iPad app. It's a Mac client.

Last edited:

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
That won't get you a dvr or a channel guide. I don't want to live without being able to rewind a show a little if I miss something, either. I'm reminded of this every time I stay in a hotel. Plus, with the Tablo I can watch live tv anywhere on my iPhone.

I think Tablo is looking into creating an app for the nATV

laurim

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2003
Minnesota USA
I think Tablo is looking into creating an app for the nATV

Yes. They said so in the user forum. That's another reason I'm looking into it. Not quite sure because I really don't watch a lot of network tv but would like to record the Late Show with Colbert and Modern Family. But if I can get those with Hulu Plus the next day, maybe it's not so crucial to have a dvr. Dunno. I'll probably do a test run where I pretend I turned off Comcast cable and just have to live with my OTA antenna, a Hulu Plus trial and whatever I get elsewhere through the TV and Amazon Firestick I already have.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
+1 for the tablo dvr mentions. I love mine and have really enjoyed being able to run through my Apple TV input exclusively and soon I will be able to do that without using my iPad to AirPlay the tablo stuff. Works great as long as you get decent antenna reception.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Anyone knows if Elgato is working on a native AppleTV app for EyeTV? For someone like me who already has HDHomeRun and EyeTV - this would be a perfect addition.

+1 for the tablo dvr mentions. I love mine and have really enjoyed being able to run through my Apple TV input exclusively and soon I will be able to do that without using my iPad to AirPlay the tablo stuff. Works great as long as you get decent antenna reception.

alm99

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Anyone knows if Elgato is working on a native AppleTV app for EyeTV? For someone like me who already has HDHomeRun and EyeTV - this would be a perfect addition.

It would be nice since I am in the same boat, but I doubt it. It seems as though Elgato is slowing dropping support for EyeTV. They no longer sell any TV products. I was hoping they would support the HDHomerun that accepts a cable card that came out a while ago, but they will not. Long term its probably the right decision.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

Do you know how to switch between inputs? Chances are, you're doing it now.

I think you're gonna be okay, friend.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

What's stopping tablo from creating a tvOS app?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Lessee. OTA HD antenna in or cable service - you choose - with multiple tuners. AC wifi with streaming to multiple devices possible. Gig Ethernet, optical out, MoCA 2, 4k ready, and HDMI 2.2. Built-in storage plus eSATA & USB 2 for external storage. Netflix, Amazon Prime. Included menu service for a year. A commercial skipper. Check, check, and check!

I'd buy that. I'm getting a Tivo Bolt!

I already own a basic Roamio. I can sell that, stop the menu service since the Bolt already includes one year of that service, and then the Bolt is - for me - essentially a low-to-no-cost upgrade for me for the first year. After a year, get another one and sell that first Bolt - yeah, I'm getting ahead of myself but that's like Christmas in October. Now I just gotta figure out if that thing comes in black or I need a can of black spray paint!

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
...and something to unbend it. It ships with a proactive bendgate. ;) Maybe if someone can unbend it, we can have unbendgate or straightengate?

Jokes aside: Bolt looks terrific. Tivo just keeps working it. The other players could learn a thing or three from them.
Funny, that. I won't be stacking anything on it unless I use 2-sided duct tape! :p

I just read a bit more, and there's a Plex app too! Score! They'll be in Best Buy stores on Sunday - there's one here on the Island, and I'll be there at opening time!

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010

That looks really cool. Any idea if there is a similar product that works with basic cable (in the US). I get all the locals for free with my internet service, and that source is just easier than messing with the OTA signals which are spotty in my area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.