WoW 1.3.2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Nermal, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The WoW 1.3.2 patch is now available, and they claim that it improves framerates :D

I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but post back with how you got on :)

2. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Have any patch notes I forgot to read em?

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried to paste them in but it wouldn't let me Copy them out of the patcher :mad:

There were only 2 notes, one was something to do with disabling shaders on some video cards, but I ignored that note because my card wasn't in the list.

The other note was regarding the framerate increase.

4. vasaz macrumors member

Exact patch note:

- Version 1.3.2 is a Mac OS X only patch.
    - the Vertex Animation Shader feature is disabled for GPU's such as
    the Radeon 8500,9000, and 9200 series. We expect to re-enable this
    functionality in a future patch.
    - New code optimizations were added to improve frame rate and reduce
    memory usage.

5. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

I see I was getting lots of weird shader bugs with my iBook good see them them turn it off...

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I was getting all sorts of weird bugs (can't move after channeling, can't cast certain spells, can't target enemy, disappearing cursor, and others), as well as significantly reduced frame rates (down about 30%) with the last patch, I hope this fixes some of them. One step back and two forward hopefully eh?

7. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I don't really notice much of a difference. When I first go outside, I still have to do a 360 in order to get smooth frame rates. I did set terrain distance to maximum to see how it performed. I didn't see any visual or performance difference. I wonder if that is bugged now.

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I always have my terrain distance at half, since I see very little difference with it at full. I get a constant 40-60 fps with my settings all maxed out (except terrain at half) and at 1920x1600 rez in the comp in my sig.

Having said that, it's sad that my computer can't run WoW fully maxed and get a steady 80fps, god knows it has the power . . .

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Terrain distance seems to be what kills my powerbook g4 the most. I believe it's mostly due to the slower HD, I'm using a 100Gb, 5400RPM Seagate one. I usually just keep terrain distance on low, and most other options on high, or enabled. That usually keeps things running very smoothly. I'm running it on dialup so sometimes, it's hard to tell whether the drops in framerate are due to lag or my powerbook's performance.

10. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

The laptop in my sig has an even slower hard drive (4200rpm I believe)and it runs WoW with everything maxed smooth as silk. So, I have no doubt that it is NOT the hard drive speed.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Yea, but it's also not a PB. Apples and oranges (pardon the pun). I won't venture down that path, but I don't think comparing gaming performance on a PB versus a PC is really a meaningful comparison.

Got the patch last night, didn't see any improvement. My largest improvements came in another thread that I think is still bouncing around that I started.

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I agree 100%. I just meant to point out that I don't think that hard drive speed is the issue. Just MHO though. ;)

13. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

I guess that explains why I'm not seeing crazy glitches every 10 seconds anymore.

I have to say, if you play in 800x600 with all settings off/lowest, and there's not 50 people around you, it's actually really smooth on a Mac mini (I average 20-25FPS with peaks at about 30-40 in some areas).

Mind you, if it was available for the Xbox (along with a keyboard and mouse), I'd play on my Xbox/36" TV...

14. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Yvan256

Same on the Mac mini. I'm glad to see that thing fixed too. :D

15. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'd play on my 60" HD set and optical surround sound in a heartbeat! :D

Actually, I have digital surround sound/DTS on my Mac. That Logitech Z-5500 is just amazing!

16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

blizzard has no info on 1.3.2, where did you get yours?

17. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It downloaded itself when I tried to play. Are you saying that yours didn't? :confused:

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Probably a text file in the WoW folder, I'm guessing.

19. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It appears when you install the patch, and you're right too, it's in the patch.txt.

20. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

no in order to play WoW you HAVE to be using the current patch (or be running offline via a hack, but thats another topic). if you go to worldofwarcraft.com there is a "latest patch notes" section. their latest notes are regarding 1.3.1. Just curious where you got the info, thanks for the answer =).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - World of Warcraft Client Patch 1.3.2 (2005-04-04)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Version 1.3.2 is a Mac OS X only patch.
    - the Vertex Animation Shader feature is disabled for GPU's such as
    the Radeon 8500,9000, and 9200 series. We expect to re-enable this
    functionality in a future patch.
    - New code optimizations were added to improve frame rate and reduce
    memory usage.

21. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hence the :confused: smily :)

22. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

does it take RIDICULOUSLY long to patch for anyone else, especially considering how small of a patch it is? It takes no time to download, then forever to patch... very annoying...

23. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes! It seems like it downloads a 1 MB patch then reassembles 4 GB worth of files :eek:

24. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I'm currently downloading 1.3.2. As far as performance goes, I'm assuming it is the HD in my situation, because it always gets laggy when the HD is really working. It seems like if I stay in the same place for a while, the game is really smooth, but the more graphics it has to load from the HD, the slower it gets.

*edit* The patch didn't take very long to install, maybe 3 minutes on the iMac in my sig.

*edit2*Wow! much better performance, I'm getting in th e 30s and 40s now. Even on my crappy dialup

25. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

On your PowerBook? With how much memory? :confused: