WoW 1.4

Discussion in 'Games' started by patseguin, Apr 19, 2005.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    New patch is up! Server just shutdown so it may be spotty all night.
  2. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    How IS WOW running these days? I was really tempted to buy it in the beginning but the server issues killed the potential of me shelling out for it. If they've fixed the disconnection and other assorted issues, I'd jump in. What's your take on it? And how does it run with your rig?
  3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
  4. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2005
    WoW is the best game I have ever played. My biggest issue is the PvP Brats. I play PvE, but I check out the forums for build questions. The WoW forums are the WORST I have ever read. There is constant and NONSTOP complaining, flaming & trolling. Its horrible. These people spend more time whining than playing.

Given the content and various class & race configurations (as well as various builds WITH armor/gear combos) I find it very hard to understand why so many people can't get past whatever they think is wrong with their character.

Maybe its just me, but when I pay to play, I would like to spend most of my time actually playing, not complaining.
  5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
  6. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Daytona Beach
    At least you know that you want PvE and picked the right kind of realm. People that play PvP and get on and whine about being ganked deserve to be camped for hours. By playing PvP you are basically saying you don't mind being ganked because you know you will be able to do the ganking some day. Sigh but back on topic the new patch is great but right now things are a blood bath. But when the lag clears get ready horde SM farmers I will be waiting for you :)

Ari 60 warrior on mannaroth
    (Loaning gold to all Macrumors people)
  7. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    Texas, USA
    And the most important reason you should play: to play a new release game on the mac at the same time people play it on a PC. ;)
  8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Ahh I wish I was on Mannaroth... I play RP. Which is generally a balance between PvE and PvP. :)
  9. Hydra macrumors regular

May 25, 2004
    So how well does the game actually run on a PowerBook at the native resolution?
    I was thinking about getting the current 15" model as it doesn't have FX5200 anymore. Or simply try and wait for the so anticipated G5 models.

Because I've used to run pretty much every game with graphics and resolution set to high and still getting good fps. I don't think it'll such a pleasure to play the game at 640x480 and lowest details while still getting only 10 fps or so.
  10. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004
    I got up to level 12 with a night elf rogue and decided to ditch the character. I found the game was getting uninteresting and was going to pack it in alltogether .
    However, yesterday I pulled a long gaming session and started again with a gnome warlock (now level 9). It's friggin awesome. Much prefer the game with magic + pets.

Oh yeah.. AoWolf .. RE: your gold lending scheme .. might have to take you up on that. Got one bit of silver at the moment and thats not getting me very far hehe
  11. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

Nov 17, 2003
    Daytona Beach

Odd that you would like a warlock over a rogue. In my guild we have a saying" There are two kinds of people that play wow rogues and every one else" But yeah Ill give you a gold or two to get started :)
  12. shortyjj macrumors regular

Apr 21, 2004
    I can only speak of my own experience on the 1.33 12", and it runs absolutely fine. Played my first char to 60 and never thought, "man, I wished this looked better." It's always beautiful, and (with the exception of one city) it always runs fast enough.

Btw I just started a druid, and can see myself getting hooked all over again...
  13. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004
    thanks mate,
    im on the bladefist server.. my charecter is called Ardel - Gnome Warlock Level 9 (the account is gonzorob) .. ive never used the mail system before, so i dont know which you send it to (charecter or the account) hehe
    thanks again .. give me a shout in the game and we can meet up
  14. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Cool, I will be getting the game for my 15" PB. New game on the road! :D
  15. GonzoRob macrumors 6502

Sep 1, 2004
    im playing on a new 12" PB (1.25 gig of ram) and it runs just fine (its currently in a 800x600 window :D ) .. very crowded areas are laggy.. however , unless you hang out in ironforge all, day it shouldnt be too much of a problem

PS: if you get the game, you'll find out what ironforge is
  16. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004

the only people who play rogues play them because they are over powered in pvp.

play against the environment and all of the sudden your uber rogue is worthless to anyone with talent.
  17. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Server: Az'Galor
    Name: TeeNee
    Race: Gnome
    Class: Mage
    Level: currently 22, but I'm leveling this char very fast.

Server: Dethecus
    Name: Gretel
    Race: NE
    Class: Druid
    Level: 48

Name: Tixudao
    Race: Human
    Class: Rogue
    Level: 37

Name: Babalu
    Race: NE
    Class: Hunter
    Level: 20

I have played pretty much every class, but these are my 20+ characters (minus a horde character on a server whose name I forgot - a level 20 orc hunter). I think druids are a lot of fun because they are a challenge. They are the most challenging class to play right (the patch made them even worse, with diminishing returns on entangling roots). Many people say they suck, which is kind of true. You really have to manipulate your talents to be effective in a battle. I quit my rogue at 37 because I found it to be terribly boring - stealth, ambush, sinister, sinister, sinister, eviscerate, etc. Hunter starts out very fun, but I got bored with it. But I enjoy mage the most, I think, but my character is too low to be able to say that with confidence. I love the amount of firepower I have, and the diversity the different trees offer. I've opted for an arcane/fire build, like most mages. I don't find that there is all that much downtime between battles. I had more downtime as a druid, because I didn't have free water and food :p. Battles aren't systematic like a rogue. If a unit resists a certain spell, my whole casting order changes to adapt. As a rogue if I miss on a sinister strike, I simply sinister strike again :rolleyes: .

So to sum up my feelings:
    Rogue - boring, every battle is the same.
    Druid - Lots of fun because every battle is different, and you really have to think to win.
    Mage - Lots of fun. You don't feel underpowered, like you do as a druid, but you don't feel bored, like a rogue.
    Hunter - Fun at first, but wears off pretty quickly.

Those are the classes that I have 20+ levels of experience with.

18. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Mar 5, 2002
    The Netherlands
    We Europeans will have 1.4 friday, during the normal maintenance shutdown. Quite anxious for the new PvP reward system (even though I'm on a PvE server, the casual /pvp is always good :D)

I play on Alleria (german servers) with our Mac guild (Team GeeFive) and have:

Level 44 Night Elf Hunter: Really love to play it, even with all the nerfs, I find the hunter a very nice character to play. Love my pet and love all the kiting to keep targets at range.

Level 10 Taureen Druid: Started this one and I find it awsome! Anxious to level it up to get all the forms.

WoW is one really addictive game! :D If any of you euro players want to team up for Zul'Farak drop me a line (wow name: Tiauguinho)
  19. Abulia macrumors 68000

Jun 22, 2004
    Kushiel's Scion
    I disagree with this sweeping comment.

Some of us were in the Beta. Some of us made characters on launch day, on a PvP server. Some of us did so with the understanding that the Honor and anti-ganking system in the manual and in the strategy guide would exist.

Hey, Blizzard lied. :D Ooops.

I've since switched to PvE, but being constantly ganked (38 warlock) was some of the worst, most painful "gaming," I've ever had. I'm watching with much delight the current chaos caused by the "new" Honor system on the PvP servers.
  20. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    Funny, I have a 39 rogue that I quit once I started playing a mage. The mage is only 24, but am pretty sure that I'm going to stick with the character.
  21. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    yay for mages! arcane/fire spec here, and it's wonderful. now i just need to go ahead and make it to 40 finally... but am i really the only horde player around these parts? that's so sad...
  22. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

Apr 28, 2004

aye the new honor system is trash:

you can't DIS honor yourself. i could spend all day doing 1 hit kills on low levels, and nobody could do anything about it, and besst of all, no penalty for rude behavior!!!

the rewards are utter garbage. they LOOK cool, but you can find items with WAY better stats in the real world. plus you need to maintain your rank, lose rank = lose items.

there is no "handicap." alliance will gain honor WAY faster on my server since they outnumber us by 3 to 1 and can basically just sit there and rack up kills while we try to defend ourselves, and possibly get some kills too =(.

hoorah to blizzard, you botched your plans and completely lost my confidence that pvp will be even worth the effort and time required.
  23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I play this game a lot... too much, really. It's quite addictive. I've gotten the following classes to the following levels:

Shaman - 13
    Hunter - 23
    Priest - 20
    Mage - 40
    Warrior - 20
    Paladin - 60

The paladin and the mage are active... the others I don't really play (warrior was in open beta). Both are alliance on Kargath (pve server). Names are Jandor (pally) and Gyan (mage). Send a tell some time if you're on my server!

This new patch makes me very glad i'm not on a pvp server. On pve, I can still battle the horde when i want (there are always battles going in auberdine, tarren mill/southshore, crossroads, etc) but I can also level my mage without constant ganking.
  24. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Feb 24, 2005
    Agreed. Today alone, in Goldshire, TONS of new players were screaming about someone helping them. Its PvE by the way. I kept telling them NOT to touch the Horde (60s). Worse case senario, they have to wait for an NPC to respawn. No such luck - they where getting butchered. The Horde racked up some nice "dishonorabe" points. Which I am convinced it was purposeful. Why not have status effects for dishonorable kills? For example, if you kill a level 1 and you are 60, your character will have the stats of that level 1 character for 24 hours (strength, stamina, agility, etc.). Lets see how much ganking will occur then.
  25. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Mar 13, 2004
    Does anyone have somewhere I can download the standalone patch? My university network blocks the required ports and I've emailed Blizzard but they say they have no standalone patch (for mac) that I can download without using their downloader.