wow, a press conference!!!!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Oct 28, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    only the 10th one since sworn in, bush held a press conference today.

sadly, i didn't catch all of it. but i got most of the Q&A.

notable (paraphrase):

reporter: are you able to promise that US troop strength in iraq will be reduced by next year, this time?

bush: that's a trick question and i'm not going to answer it.

got the transcript now: link

he was doing a lot of not answering, though in most instances he'd talk a lot and avoid the issue.

one reporter asked a pointed question about intelligence problems wrt iraq's WMD. specifically, has bush been surprised at the discrepancy?

bush rambled for a bit, and, to my horror, concluded that the pre-war intelligence was "good" and "solid." i think, at that point, bush himself realized what he'd said, then got quiet and withdrawn and repeated some things he'd said pre-war, about hussein being able to hide things well.

a reporter asked if he could ask a followup question.

bush (again, paraphrase): if you're going to interrupt me, then, no, no followup.

2. wwworry macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2002
    His ideas and reasoning are shallow and he finds it hard to defend himself.
  3. toontra macrumors 6502

Feb 6, 2003
    London UK
    Coincidentally, there was a clip on UK TV tonight of an interview of Bush by Trevor McDonald (ITV). When he was asked a (not too tricky) question about Iraq, Bush's only response was to wrinkle up his face in a idiotic grin and say "You're trying to put words in my mouth" and refused to answer. This is obviously his stock tactic in avoiding answering "tricky" questions.