WoW Addiction

Discussion in 'Games' started by drison, May 25, 2005.

1. drison macrumors regular

drison

I just recently started playing World of Warcraft . I've spent the last four nights playing from the time I got home from work until midnight. I'm a little tired and my wife is not very happy. Any advice? :)

-Dave

2. jasylonian macrumors regular

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My former roommate was addicted to WoW. Never studied, never went to class, never did homework, never ate, never slept, never showered, he rarley took breaks to go to the crapper. According to people in some of his classes, he was failing all of his classes and if he doesnt shape up next semester, chances are, the college will kick him out. So if that happens, he won't have an education, won't have a job, nothing.

That enough motivation for you to not get addicted?

4. Onnastick macrumors newbie

I have been playing the game since the night it was released in November 2004. In fact, I was playing in their open beta before that. I have a wife and children, and a full time job.

I know many people I play with who are in the same situation. The game is extremely addictive. I suggest you either buckle in for a very long ride involving a lot of fun in the game, sleep deprivation, family struggle, and general turmoil... or uninstall the game, cancel your account, and destroy the media it came on.

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I admit it, I am addicted to WoW. The crazy thing is I don't even think it's very much fun. I'm in a transitional period for the next month or so though (between schools and between jobs), so WoW has taken over my life... Sometimes it really bothers me how many hours I spend in this game. I wish Blizzard hadn't added the /played command.

6. drison thread starter macrumors regular

drison

Good point. ;)

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

eh... you underestimate WoW :).

I definitely play WoW too much, but I don't regret it at all. It is sumer now, so I really don't have many responsibilities, but back when I was in school I kept up with my work and stuff. So, enjoy WoW, but get what needs to be done, done. ;)

scem0

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My wife (sort of) patiently put up with my WoW addiction from the last stress test & open beta, until early January. But she started making "we don't spend any time together" noises (and she was right, I played from 5AM to 8AM, and then 7PM to 12PM everyday (much more on weekends)). Luckily, I was getting quite board with the game and gave it up cold turkey. I suggest you do the same. What happens if things go south and you have to explain to a judge (and friends) that you're getting divorced because you were addicted to a stupid game? I don't think you'll get too much sympathy.

For the good of your marriage, set aside maybe 5 hours on weekends only to play, or give it up for good.

Or, if you're lucky, get her hooked on it. I am not so lucky. I can't even get my wife interested in The Sims.

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You need to set priorities. Finish the important things first and then play WoW as relaxation, a treat after a hards day work. Just think of the guy that became addicted to online chat, they found him dead in front of his computer. He was at it almost 24/7. :eek:

10. howard macrumors 68020

howard

try and get your wife addicted

its worked with the girlfriends of a few of my friends... now they spend "quality" time together in the game... hehe its a crazy world we live in

11. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Ditch the wife. She'll only nag you to death anyway. Or send her on a trip... frees up more time to play. :D

Just kidding. I've tried playing WoW and cant stand it. Dear lord, thats the most agonizing and lame game I've ever seen. Just my opinion, though. I'm sure it just a matter of taste, since lots of people seem to enjoy it.

12. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I was extremely addicted to WoW for a while...until I realized that I wasn't playing it for fun any more, I was just playing it because I needed to level up my character and run instances, it was work. When I realized that:

--

1) Hearthstone to IF

2) "LFG _random instance_" x 300

3) Fly/Ride to the instance.

4) Press the same keys over and over again for 2 hours.

5) Repeat

--

Was not something fun and worthwhile, I let my account expire, and stopped playing the game outright.

It seems like so many hundreds of thousands of people are wasting their lives away playing this game that isn't even fun after the first month or so.

My friends maintain that running the same exact instance 5 times a day is something fun for them, maybe I'm weird but I really don't enjoy a "game" that is that repetitive, like a bad job.

I'm thinking I might go back to the game over the summer for a while...there are many more interesting things I like to do in the summer than I do in the winter....much easier to get addicted when there is no reason to be outside.

If it becomes a problem (it's a problem if other people start saying you play too much), either force yourself to lay off a bit, or quit, WoW is not worth missing out on life. :)

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

you only run into this problem if you choose a boring class like rogue. Every battle is completely different with a druid, or a challenging class like that.

I agree with the people who say you should get your wife addicted. I have played with a couple couples :D.

scem0

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

WoW was one of the significant contributing factor to the break up of my 4+ year relationship. Ironically, my gf was the one whose addiction ultimately became the problem, but that's not really important.

I think your relationship needs to already have problems for a game to seriously hurt it, but let me tell you, WoW is definitely no help.

Guys, it's not worth it. It's just not. You had a life before WoW, and you'll have a life when you quit. I'm absolutely heartbroken right now, and to think that the way I'm feeling in any way came from a VIDEO GAME makes me sick.

/account canceled

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Druid...solo: Roots, moonfire, wrath, wrath, starfire, heal, moonfire group: healing touch, regrowth, healing touch, healing touch, regrowth....the feral parts are too gimped to really be usefull....only the bear form is useful as a tank in low level instances.
    :rolleyes:

16. drison thread starter macrumors regular

drison

Oouch. Sorry man, I didn't mean to dig up bad memories for anyone. Just curious about how they got away with playing while maintaining a relationship with said sig other. Sounds like I need to limit it to some spare time on the weekends and whenever my wife and kids are at her parents. :D

-Dave

17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Hmm interesting thread. Since summer started I've been playing pretty non-stop, I haven't gotten a summer job yet or seen many of my friends. Folks are concerned, since I have depression, and this kind of thing doesn't bode well. You just need self-control and ask yourself questions. Why am I playing? Why is it "fun"? I will still play because I think it's an amazing game, I enjoy it for the plot alone (Deadmines, omg!), but just like anything in life you need to have boundaries and know when too much is too much. If you need to stop cold that's understandable too.

18. jasylonian macrumors regular

I play WoW, I'd rather have sex.

19. freeorangeshoes macrumors member

dont you have to pay money each month to play? that would be reason enough for me not to play.

20. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Make a dwarf or horde female that should stop you :p

21. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I've been playing since November. The good news is you will get tired of it, the bad news is that it may take many months, if not years, for that to happen.

The beaty of WoW compared to games such as Everquest is that you are rewarded for not playing through double experience. Be satisfied that the longer you stay logged out, the faster you will level when you log in. That should be enough incentive to balance work, private life, and a game, which should only be a passive distraction if it is to remain healthy. If you can't do that, then I'd follow the advice of one of the previous posters: uninstall, cancel, and destroy the media - like so many others have said, if you can't control it then it's not a good idea to play it.

I lost a spring break to Everquest. I mean, I literally played everquest 18 hours a day, every single day. I almost never went out of the house. I felt so ashamed after that, I had enough incentive to quit the game. WoW has been very different for me - my G.P.A. has remained quite constant and I have the self control to only play when I really have nothing to do. My girlfriend hates the game but appreciates the effort I put in. I'd say World of Warcraft is a lot less addictive, so if you can't control playing that, then I'd strongly recommend you never again pick up a MMOG - there are many out there that are far worse.

22. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Heh, glad I didn't get WoW!

Halo 2 is also another addicting game. I played that game all winter. Some people are completely obsessed. Luckly I only play it three times a month or so.

23. JasonL macrumors regular

I have recently reduced the amount of time I spend playing WoW, but I have probably spent something like 1000 hours in the last six months playing. I have a level 60 and a level 44 character. I know people that have multiple level 60 characters. :eek: I'll probably get my lev 44 char up to 60 and then either cancel my account or play very little. Running the same instances over and over can get a bit old; and my wife isn't exactly loving my WoW habit much either. ;)

edit: And, QCassidy352, that is rough man...I really feel for you.

24. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I don't mean to spit in your eye bro, but if a video game was enough to drive you two apart, you already had much bigger problems. I withstood 3 years of my wife being a fall down drunk. She put up with a small herion addiction I had during the mid eighties, that wiped out all of our saveings, almost ruened our buesness, landed me in jail for six mounths and nearly killed me twice. In the end love kept us togather.

If their had been enough love in your relationship, it would have worked out. It's not like she was screwing druids and selling your house to buy more online play or however wow does it.

So to everyone "worried" about your Wow addiction, suck it up. Go shoot H for a couple months and then well talk addiction. If iv drugs arn't your cup of tea, find peace knowing that loosing a 18 hours a day to a video game is not **** compaired to what the famiys of addicts have to deal with.

So keep playin' it's better the crack.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Rarely do I get angry at people on these boards, but I'm so furious right now that I'm really glad this is just the internet and I can't do anything that I'd regret.

First, please read my original post in full. I entirely agreed with your statement "if a video game was enough to drive you two apart, you already had much bigger problems." What I said was, "I think your relationship needs to already have problems for a game to seriously hurt it."

Second, how DARE you say "if there had been enough love in your relationship..." You don't know the first thing about me, my ex-girlfriend, or our relationship. Think about how you'd feel if someone told you "you wouldn't have used heroin if you loved your wife more." You'd probably want to hit them, right? Because they don't know **** about your situation or your life, so they probably shouldn't be talking about how much you did or didn't love your wife, right?

Third, your whole "my addiction is bigger than your addiction" attitude makes me sick. You honestly want to turn this in to a pissing contest about addiction? I have drunks, drug addicts, and gamblers in my family so do not presume to lecture me about addiction.

People can be addicted to many many different kinds of things - drugs, alcohol, sex, thrill seeking, money, gambling, power, and yes, video games. Addiction is defined as "Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance." If you don't think that playing for 20 hours at a time, neglecting friends, family, work, sleep, food, sex, and love to play a video game rises to that standard, then you know what? **** you. Seriously, go to hell "bro."

I'm sorry that you and your wife have gone through what you did. As angry as I am right now, I am sorry because I've seen what that's like and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But just because you had one kind of problem doesn't mean that you get to pass judgment on what else qualifies. Just because a video game isn't as bad as heroin, that means it can't be bad at all? How does that make any sense?