WoW addictiveness

Discussion in 'Games' started by wrldwzrd89, Jul 4, 2005.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I watched Filter on G4TV recently. On the episode I linked to the host said that WoW is addictive enough to keep you there more than you spend time with your partner! If that's true, I had better stay away from WoW, considering that I'm already hooked on PhantasyRPG.

2. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I guess it depends on the person. I did not find WoW addictive at all. As a matter of fact, I got bored of it within a week while playing in beta. Everquest was FAR more addictive back in the day.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There was a thread on this a few weeks ago called "world of warcraft addiction" or something like that. As I posted there, yes, this game can be very addictive, and very harmful to your personal life/social relations/relationship if you're not careful.

Of course it's possible to keep things in balance, in which case I think WoW is a great game. But for a lot of people, it really does become like a drug. My ex-gf ended up using WoW much like alcoholics use booze - to escape from dealing with the issues in their lives. By the end, she would basically do nothing but sleep and play WoW (she would usually eat in front of the computer). I was fairly bad myself; not to that level, but I would be up to 6 am or later playing.

My ex and I were together for over 4 years, and I thought we would be married someday soon. I won't say that we broke up because of WoW; there were plenty of underlying problems. But WoW both contributed to those problems and then created a way for us to avoid dealing with those problems.

Think about what an RPG is - a role playing game. It's an imaginary world where you're someone else, and your real life, with all its problems, don't exist. That can be great as a diversion or a little release, but I think it's pretty easy for it to go too far. I know of many people who have gotten so sucked in to these fantasy worlds that they become more important to them than the real world - people who didn't want to eat, sleep, have sex, go out with friends, read, watch TV, or basically do anything that takes them away from their new world. After all, it's easier to just run away from your problems to Azeroth than to actually deal with those problems.

Ultimately, I think that a person with self-restraint and a firm foothold in the real world can have a lot of fun with games like WoW, and WoW in particular is a great game. But do be careful. I played WoW for many months and now it actually makes me feel physically sick to see the game. If you decide to play, make sure you have limits about how much you're going to play, and what has to take priority.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry...

China has set up some Rehab Clinics for Web Addicts

So when your WoW addiction causes these deadly symptoms...

"They are suffering from depression, nervousness, fear and unwillingness to interact with others, panic and agitation. They also have sleep disorders, the shakes and numbness in their hands."

You may want to start getting some money together to entice the Chinese to open a clinic near you.

Edit: Internet and WoW addiction, it can be cured -- or we'll shock you senseless.

5. Uma888 macrumors 6502

is it just wow? im kinda addicited to counter strike :eek: , i think its just the fact that your NOT playing against the computer you are playing eith/against real humans, who have far better intelligence than an algorithm.

but id never pay aor a game after id already bought it, i dont like the monthly fees :confused: got too many bills to pay already :p

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

No, it's not just WoW; people have been getting addicted to various video games for years now. MMORPGs such as WoW do seem to be worse in this sense than other games though.

It's something about taking on an imaginary persona that does it; you're not you - you're the buff/beautiful warrior/mage/priest/whatever. People in-game call you by your screen name and comment on your appearance as if it were really you. Play enough and you start to think of yourself as your character. I don't mean that you literally believe you are a mage, but you start to feel like the person that you get treated as online. These games are a way to say things, do things, and act in ways that you wouldn't in real life, but if you do it enough, it can start to seem like it is real life and like your real-life persona is the alternate identity. Kinda scary.

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I remember people getting addicted to the original Diablo. I distinctly remember one friend so addicted that he actually had a girl at a party giving him a lap dance and later he told me all he could think of was getting back to the game. At least after a few more weeks he releized he had a problem and promptly uninstalled it.

As far as WoW is concerned I enjoyed it for about a month and played it when I wasn't at work or whatever. I was always able to turn it off however when someone came over or had other plans. Never ADDICTED to it though. The past couple of months I just cannot play it. It just got so boring after a while. Kill this, kill that, this ones to powerful to so spend 20 minutes asking people to help out. Everything started to get repeative after a while.

Even just the other day I saw an old friend from High school who was kinda a geeky loner. I haven't seen this guy in years and all the guy talked about was WoW. Funny how he has had the same grocery clerk job since High School. Sad really.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Damn! That just depressed the hell out of me. :(

9. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Why? While I am not him, if he is having fun and enjoying life then more power to him. Sure, he may not "get the most out of life" but then that may not be his goal.

This world focuses on tangibles way too much and it will be the end of us.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I can stop anytime I want..

Now if you will excuse me...

/1 LFG 47 shammy 4 ZF

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think that a lot of really addicted people use these video games as an escape from the fact that their "real-world" lives are depressing. My older brother has been an RPG player for years and he's happy, but he plays in person, with his friends. He also has a job that he likes, a girlfriend that he loves, and is going to grad school in a field that really interests him. My brother can get really in to his games, but he doesn't play them as an escape from the real world, only as a diversion.

Maybe I'm wrong; maybe this guy in the story above loves his life. But I doubt it. I doubt his career aspirations are to bag groceries forever, and I doubt he'd rather be in front of his computer than out with that special someone on the weekends. If he is happy, then I agree; more power to him.

And I don't think I'm focusing on the "tangibles" here; I'm focusing on having friends and a rewarding job, not having wealth and status. I doubt most people would really prefer having an epic sword online to those things.

12. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

LOL! The sad thing is, I know exactly what that means. :eek:

13. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Im trying to get done with computer games. 2 summers ago I was addicted to the sims online (dont know why now that I think about it). So im trying to get away from those types but WOW does sound fun indeed!

14. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

Speaking for the other WoW addicts out there, let me tell you... It's great. Some people spend their whole lives worrying about school, some about money, some about girls, some about guys -- but I don't call them addicts and tell them they need to change. I play warcraft, I love it, and I'll quit when I want to quit... not a moment before.

WTS:[Wang]X1 PST

15. colocolo macrumors 6502

do you have the mallet? :D

16. wcalderini macrumors member

The only reason...

The only reason I am EVEN SEEING this, (thus responding) is that it's Tuesday.
    No other explanation needed.
    LOL
    BC

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Addiction, by definition, cannot be a good thing. According to dictionary.com, addiction is:

1. Compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance.

2. The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or or involved in something.

I've known people who couldn't stop playing WoW. They would play until they literally couldn't keep their eyes open, would not want to talk to or spend time with friends or family, and when they were forced to leave WoW, it's all they would think about until they could play again. That is addiction. If you read what I've written in this thread, I'm not condemning WoW players as a group any more than I would condemn all people who consume alcohol.

WoW is a great game, and a lot of fun. I'm not suggesting that you should change; I don't know you, and don't know anything about your life. But for some people it does cross a line from enjoyable recreation to compulsion, and when you lose control of your own actions, that's when there's a problem, whether we're talking about video games or alcohol or anything else.

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Winnar! :D

I cycle between 2 characters (L55 Paladin, L31 Warlock) and find that doing so pretty much keeps me constantly in the rested XP. That makes levelling fast and lets me keep up with my friends (or pass them) who play several times a week.

Ultimately, it is a game. I think the best part about WoW (for letting go) is that there's no penalty for death; I've litearlly gotten up and walked away from the machine to answer the door, help my wife, etc. Dead? Who cares? (Instances being a notable exception, of course.)

BTW, did 1.6 go up today?

19. mus0r macrumors regular

I just started WoW a little over a week ago. In the first 10 days I leveled up to 15, and started a new character so I could wait for my friend to catch up. VERY addictive game...

And yeah, I definately agree that not being pennalized (other than loss of durability of weapons) is pretty cool. I just started a warlock and it's pretty easy to get pwned, especially if you get gangraped by the opposition. Even if you're 5 levels above you targets, 2:1 is bad and more than that is death.

20. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Yeah that sounds like my wife.... I don't play the game very much at all <10 hours a week or even less, but she will put in 60-70 hours easy. It gets to the point where you think your living alone. I'm working on getting her of the game, but its not easy. I never though of it like alcoholic, but I think the analogy may be correct. There are those who enjoy the taste of beer, and those who use the beer to run away from life....

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I really hope that things will be all right with you and your wife. It got to the point that my ex-gf hardly noticed if I was around or not, and many nights she would not come to bed until long after I was asleep, if at all. And keep in mind that I myself was so hooked I could be playing until 5 or 6 am easily. I never thought of it the way you put it, but you're exactly right - for the last month we were together, it did feel like I was living alone.

I later found out that she had started an (emotional, because it was long distance) affair with another player she met in WoW, and that they would secretly talk on the phone and via AIM for hours. They have still never met, but they consider themselves "together," and he is planning to "visit" her at some point. (It's ironic because a couple of months earlier she knew another player in WoW who had a "girlfriend" whom he had met in game, but never in real life, and when my ex heard about that she thought it was completely ridiculous...)

If I had it to do over again, I would do whatever I could to save my relationship before it was too late. WoW was probably not the underlying cause of my breakup, but if my ex and I had gotten rid of WoW months before and actually tried to work on our problems rather than hiding from them in Azeroth, we might be planning a wedding now instead of broken up. Best of luck to you and your wife...

22. ijimk macrumors 6502a

ijimk

I play on Icerown Horde side , an undead warrior named Gwindor. But anyways i was looking for some nifty icons for OS X of Warcraft has anyone seen any?

I got the one off of iconfactory for the app icon bit i was hoping for some kool looking icons for my folders and HD.

GO HORDE!!!

And i must say i love the normal servers over the PVP due to how easy it is to quest in certain areas and not worrying about a lvl 60 killing a lvl 15 :)

23. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Yeah this kinda of the things are more likely to be symptoms of other problems rather than the real problem. The whole going to be much later thing is very true for her, but then again I got to bed at 10. I've got a job, and I need sleep. I not sure if she's hiding from problems in our relationship, or just her life in general. She has no job, not real responsibilities so it may be that she feels the need to create a life. Many people do that with their work, mother's do it with their children, she just may be doing it with WoW.. As for the online affair that sucks, I don't suspect anything of the sort. When she of the game she adores me, which is nice, just not very often. Don't get me wrong, we do fight. Like everyone else does about stupid stuff.

But sometimes it get to the point where you want to yell "hey I'm here too damn it!" We just moved to another state, and she says that she will get a job. That will be nice, she can leave the house and interact with physical people. I think that would help tremendously.

God you know what this sounds like? A support group for families of drug users..

24. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

WoW addictiveness

oh man...i have had WoW for about 3 months now and I was FORCED to cancel my subscription because i was going out of town to work for 2 months but let me tell you after many nights of NO sleep and usually never gettin to sleep till about 3 its addictive. You have to really get into it but oh man..its fun....i really liked it....SO much you can do and explore and acheive ... and once you hit lvl 60 oh man..its like a whole new game...it rules but the $15 a month is kinda ********....i was thinkin about tryin guild wars...has anyone played? its similar but its FREE!!!

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yeah, it was the same in my case; she had no job (she had one, but it was temporary and had ended) and no friends in the area because we were living in my hometown, so I think she was pretty bored and unhappy with life in general. WoW became a way of escaping that.

I'm not saying your wife is having an online affair, in fact I really doubt it 'cause this was a pretty unique situation, but I will just say that when I found out, I was stunned. This was a woman who used to absolutely adore me to the point that I wondered if it was unhealthy (seriously). Of course, I then found out about a (minor) real-life infidelity from a year ago, so I guess I didn't really know her like I thought I did... but now I digress.

Yep, I desperately wanted my ex to look for a new job and go out and meet some real-life friends, and at first she wanted to, but once she got really sucked in to the game those things didn't seem to matter to her anymore.

Yeah, I know. I feel like I'm being melodramatic at times on this thread, but honestly, I'm not sure that I am. It really can be an addiction, in the true sense of the word. And although I wouldn't compare the seriousness of it to that of alcohol or drug abuse, this whole thing isn't a joke, no matter how absurd it sounds to an outsider. I heard second hand about one guy, who, in a single day lost his GF and got fired for not showing up to work... he responded, "ah well, more time for warcraft." I swear I'm not making this up.