WoW- am I a retard or will I eventuall get it?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DrStrangelove, Mar 26, 2006.

1. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

So, yesterday I went out and bought WoW to go with my shiney new Mac.

I was heavily into gaming 4 years ago and prior, but getting married, a couple of kids, and a more recent promotion... I haven't even hooked up the PlayStation since moving into the new home.

Anyway, I've been finding myself with some free time from 10PM till 12M and I thought-- lemme give this a shot-- I've read TONS of good stuff about it and the "idea" is right up my alley.

So I installed and played a bit. Achieved Level 2 (big whoop) and got killed almost immediately afterward. The game seems a little overwhelming-- I'm hoping that this is a typical first experience and that perseverance will prove helpful in leading me to the "addictive" game that I've heard from so many other people.

I'll follow-up. I'm sure you're all be waiting with baited breath for my next entry. :)

2. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

on any MMORPG, honestly, the first 1-20 levels suck. their not too exciting so its best to grind them away. Its usually only after level 20 that you get to do more of the fun stuff, group together, go on better quests and such. lv. 1-10 is always just getting a hang of the game while 11-20 is smoothing it out and getting ready for your adventures.

Other things to note might be, WoW might not be the game for you. it wasnt for me. Ive played lots of MMORPGS and I hated WoW. My friends on the other hand love it and have each a few lv. 60 chars.

I like FF11 myself. so just depends, might not be your world but regardless, i would give it some time

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Keep the tips open, read your quests for advice, and try to keep focused on the smaller scale, rather than getting scared of the immense amount of content ahead of you.

You only have to do as much or go as far as is fun for you, but typically it's addicting to the point that achieving as much as you can becomes your goal. ;)

4. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Thanks for the input. My guess is, yeah, I'll have to struggle through the first 20 levels and gain experience. It hadn't occured to me (although it should have) that these were actually "learning" levels.

Most people aren't looking for other addictions, but I kinda am looking forward to it. My friends that play WoW seem to seriously get a "thrill" from this game that I want to take part in. I'll keep chugging along.

5. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

you will hit addiction once there is so much to do. you can go on some cool quests. I think the earliest raide you go on is lv. 16. with an 8 or 16 man raid or something. then, you can do 48 man raids and travel all over and so forth.

Also, play around with different chars. For example, I always play a healer. I love being it. its a bitch but its alot of fun and everybody always needs one.

6. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

I chose (for my first char) a Tauren Shaman. It just "felt" right when reading the descriptions. Felt right? God, I'm such a geek.

7. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hahahaha. I dont think u can get worse then a Mac forum with a gaming section to get "geekear" :eek: :D

8. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Noted. ;) Well, Soprano's is starting. Afterward when I tuck wifey in it's back to see what I can get accomplished.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I dont know why but I could just not get into WoW,, I am a huge RPG fan
    I have Baldurs Gate I and II + the expansions, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale , Diablo I and II + exp, Dungeon Siege, Summoner, even the Avernum and Geneforge series . But I don't like WoW. :confused: :eek: :eek:

10. applekid macrumors 68020

I just bought WoW a month ago for my iMac Core Duo.

Damn... That's one good game. :eek:

I really wasn't expecting this game to be all that great and live up the hype, but it sure does. WoW has ruined my life like for so many others. I originally setup my account for the free month and one more. After about two days of playing, I switched it for a six month payment.

:D

Like all RPG's, its single flaw is all of that walking. The Gryphons and boats are nice an all, but there should be some mounts for earlier levels or some vehicle combat ;) (Hey, those siege weapons are wasting space just sitting there and not doing anything.)

11. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, wow bored me too. back to being a summoner on FF11 :D

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I still just cant get my fist around having to pay for the game every month+having to set up a computer to play it+The internet connection+actually buying the game+the expansion packs idk it would just be hard for me. I remember playing some free mm online called runescape 2 I was addicted for like 2 weeks and then the novelty wore off.

Ive never really herd it explained what do you do?

13. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Look. I pay ridiculous amounts of money for all sorts of entertainment. Most of us do. Whether it's a pack of cigarettes or a broadway show. And there's a lot of expensive "in between" there.

If the game proves to be worthwhile I'll keep paying and enjoy every minute. If it sucks, well, I'll drop it like a bad habit. Yo uknow, one of the ones above I'm also paying too much for. ;)

14. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Haha!! Bit of a fan of musicals then eh, :rolleyes: Its a hard habit to kick, I admit.

Glad I'm not the only one that puts their wife/girlfriend to bed before staying up for ages having 'me time'!!

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

mmHmmm.

Raiding (with more than 5 people) starts at around level 57.

You usually do your first group thing at level 15-18 (5 people or less).

The biggest raid size is 40 people.

:rolleyes:

16. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

No, I don't particularly like musicals. I've seen a couple that I can stomach.

Bro... lemme tell you. I get ABOUT 4-5 hours of sleep a night. Every 2 weeks or so I do a marathon sleep session. I love my wife. I love my kids (my daughter normally goes to bed at 8-- she's sitting next to me-- tough night). But usually around 10PM it gets quiet around here and that is ALL ME.

I get to play some games, read, watch tv-- take a **** by myself. Whatever. That's ALL me time and I cherish it.

17. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

is it? i might be thinking of battle grounds. like i said, i dropped the game at lv. 18 so dont hold me to exact numbers cause then u would be looking at my careface :) im just goin with what my buddy tells me

and by raid for the lower levels, i meant grouping. I have officially offended the w0w 13375

18. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Speaking of MMORPGs... my friend is CRAZY about Final Fantasy XI. I think it's taken over his life, actually it has taken over his life for the past 3 years.

19. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

same with my buddy and WoW man. its crazy. people really really get into those games and FF11 is different then wow in the sense that its alot more of an involved game. WoW can be played way more casual while 11 reallys pulls you in because things are so intertwined(sp) but yea, people just get hooked on mmorpgs in general.

20. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

it really is crazy.

i would go to his apartment on a friday night and the lights would all be off, except for his computer desk light that light up his room just enough so he could see the keyboard and screen and mouse for which he used to control his white mage hitome in the world of FF XI.

i decided i wanted no part of this and backed off:D

lol, actually, it looks like a good game but i have way other, more important things in my life that video games always take a back seat to. my mac being one of them :)

21. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

it's GREAT to have some time for yourself, honestly. Just bacause you're married and have kids doesn't mean you can't hang out all by your little lonesome..... :p

22. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Did you say you got killed at level 2? That is nearly impossible, lol.

Anyhow, the social aspect of the game is what really draws you in. Find a good guild and you can knock off alot of quests and grinding with friends. The game is a little tedious 1-20 but after that it gets more fun.

23. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

oh boy, WoW... the game that took my life for just over a year! I actually just 'quit' playing recently, and I've been doing fine. Leveled a human warrior to 60, did MC, Ony, and BWL (and ZG) and just got really bored of the constant grind.

looking back, some of my most memorable times were when I JUST started the game. the amount of things I found out that I could do was amazing. meeting a bunch of people that were willing to help me out was fun too (though, I'm not sure how things are at lvl 0-20 these days) the social aspect was great. It also helped that I started playing with several friends.

I loved leveling and gaining experience/rest time. Something I really missed at lvl 60. To each their own, I suppose, but I really think that the early levels are a ton of fun, just learning everything.

Stick with it a bit, and I'm sure you'll catch the WoW bug soon enough!

24. DrStrangelove thread starter macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Yeah, well, I did it.

I took a "job" (quest?) to go to some revine and kill some things/people and take stuff from them and when I got there these boars just swamped me.

Then my buddy said, "run back to your corpse" and everytime I do so-- I can't get out of the damned revine. It's like I'm stuck in there. I didn't get to put much time into getting out though either. Maybe tonight.

25. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

If you're ever stuck in an area that you just physically can't get out of, theres an option (I think the icon is a quesiton mark at the bottom of your screen) and you can get to an "auto unstuck" button. I've used it a few times... though for some reason I can't recall where it brings you. I want to say the nearest spirit rezzer, but I could be wrong.