WoW and 10.3.7

Discussion in 'Games' started by steely, Dec 15, 2004.

1. steely macrumors member

Has anyone here tried out WoW with the 10.3.7 update? I'm taking my PB (Al 1.25) home with me for the holidays tomorrow and it'd be great news to hear that WoW performance has improved with the update.

2. rbarris macrumors 6502

While you may notice some performance change with 10.3.7, it would be best to re-examine FPS on Mac WoW after the next patch from Blizzard which will go hand in hand with the new 10.3.7 drivers.

3. starstreak macrumors 6502

After the update I stood in a hallway looking out. My fps was 11.9-12fps. after the update it was closer to 11.3ps. Go figure. Hey, does the Nvidia 5200 supposed to have that shadows gfx option enabled? Mine isn't. But just wanted to let people know that a faster harddrive can make a difference. Wow went form 22sec to sign-in page to just 14 seconds.

4. steely thread starter macrumors member

Just had a chance to fire up WoW for a minute with the 10.3.7 update installed, and I must say I've noticed a significant improvement. Hard to quantify the boost in FPS since that measure is very dependant on the scene, but suffice it to say that it is quite noticeable. Places where I was getting around 15 FPS pre-10.3.7 have jumped to around 20-22 after the update. Crowded areas are still problematic, but then again I suppose that will be addressed with this upcoming patch from Blizzard geared towards the 10.3.7 update.

I'm not going to be able to get an ETA on this patch out of you, Rob, will I? :)

5. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

10.3.7 worthless didnt fix what i wanted

i want the shader option also. I have a 9800 pro ati card and i cant even get those option... Does anyone have a link to the osx patch for WoW :mad:

6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

No performance increase on my 6800 GT. No decrease either. :)

7. starstreak macrumors 6502

Just for compairasons:
    I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 1.7Ghz, Nvidia 5650 w/128mb.
    I can run WoW at 1280x800 with everything on, including shaders and for the most part I'm usually in the 15-20fps. Still not the best, but its normally smooth in moving.
    Makes me see how underpowered the PB 12.1 I have is. I have to keep telling myself that is not why I bought the PB for. But its so hard when what I love to do on my computers is play games.
    I bought the PB to trouble shoot OS issues with customers on the phone. One doesnt need that kind of gfx horsepower.

Just for kicks my home built system: AMD 3500+,Nvidia 6800GT w/256mb I hit pretty much a constant 45-50fps everywhere and in open and some inclosed areas 85+fps at 1280x1024.

8. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Blizzard disabled this option on Mac until Apple could fix a driver issue. Hopefully that problem is fixed with 10.3.7. So be patient for Blizzard to release an update for WoW and the shadows option is re-enabled.

9. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I'm certainly happy with the update! I actually got over 50fps for the first time in places I'm always at! Before, I was getting anywhere between 15-30 fps depending on the area. Now, the same areas are showing between 25-40. Very awesome.

10. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I've noticed a slight performance increase with my 6800 GT. It's not choking as long (but it's still choking).

For those interested, apple's release notes on the patch say that they've fixed the shader problem with WoW. So now it's up to Blizz to fix that stuff. I remember reading somewhere that some of these settings can actually increase performance. Am i just experiencing the after-affects of finals week?

11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

will we possibly see hero classes, battlegrounds, etc? in the coming patch?

needless to say, i love you.

12. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I notice NO difference in WoW with this patch. Hopefully the next patch will make a difference.

13. Quobobo macrumors member

Could the people who are reporting performance increases (or lack of) include their system specs? "No improvement" or "Big improvement" doesn't help much if you don't have your system in your sig (check mine and guess what system I want to know about) or post. Thanks!

14. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Dual 2 GHz G5, 1GB RAM, nVidia 6800 Ultra. Performance is just as lousy with 10.3.7 as it was with 10.3.6. I bumped all of the options up to the max settings (my laptop with 256MB 9800 Mobility handles that easily) and performance is just awful. Rbarris did say that an upcoming WoW patch would go hand in hand with the new graphic driver.

15. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

1.6Ghz G5, 1.5gb ram, oem radeon 9800 pro 128mb. FPS has improved by roughly 10-15fps in 10.3.7 with exact same settings as was in 10.3.6.

16. kilpajr macrumors regular

I think my performance is better. My specs are in my sig. Before, my FPS dropped below 10 in town but now they don't get so low. I can't say exactly how much they improved since it's been a while since I looked at the FPS numbers, but I do think they have improved. I went into an instance dungeon and was getting around 40 FPS. I didn't enter this dungeon before 10.7 but this is the highest I have seen.

I am definitely looking forward to the Blizzard patch.

17. kparvez macrumors member

Some problems

I play WoW on a 1Ghz 12 inch powerbook, and updated my OS to 10.3.7 today. World of Warcraft has crashed twice unexpectedly within 5 minutes (just before typing this, it crashed again). Don't know why. I'm not running any user interface enhancements or anything. Just plain and simple WoW.

18. rbarris macrumors 6502

If you have crash logs saved, the best thing to do is email them into us - wowmacteam123@blizzard.com .

19. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Same for me, any performance change is undetectable from 10.3.6, and all the eye candy goodies are STILL disabled (which I assume will take a Blizzard patch to unlock anyway). Grr.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There might be a slight performance bump for me, or maybe I'm imagining it. If it's there, it's pretty small. But, it already ran pretty well except in very large cities...

21. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Can rbarris give us an ETA on the WoW patch?

EDIT: I saw that a Halo patch came out yesterday that enabled pixel shader options for the 6800 cards, which in turn provides increased performance. I don't play Halo on the computer, but it does seem to show that the shader problems were not only with WoW.

22. Anticipat3 macrumors regular

I'll also echo other Current-Gen powerbook users in that I have also seen a little bit of improvement from the patch. My average framerate is probably about the same, but it doesn't jump nearly as low now as it used to.

Thanks Apple and Blizzard, and keep up the good work!

23. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i too have been experiencing this proble on a rev. c 12 inch power book. it's not really a "crash" per se, as the WoW crash reporter doesn't open. the program just quits unexpectedly. happened to me in the scarlet monastery the other night...oi vey...

needless to say i'd be happy to send you a crash log, if there were one to send. the game just quits out of nowhere, and i need to restart to log back in ("a character with this name already exists" comes up if i try to just log in after it quits).

i think it happened to me once or twice before 10.3.7 though.

no "improvement" on performance as others have stated, it just doesn't vary as wildly.

24. kparvez macrumors member

Yeah, this happens to me at least once a day, since i updated to 10.3.7 and I too don't have a crash/error log to send in these cases. When it crashes for other reasons, i send in the error log.

25. kentd macrumors newbie

You probably don't need to restart--when I Command-Quit out of WoW and then try to log back in right away (say, when I hit the infamous mining bug that makes your character get stuck in a sitting position), sometimes it fails the first time with the "A character with this name already exists" message, but just trying it again usually succeeds.