WOW and Apple stores.

Discussion in 'Games' started by combatcolin, Aug 7, 2005.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Still havn't been to the London store yet. :(

Was wondering, as you can play your WOW character from any computer in the world that has WOW installed on it - do the Apple stores have it on any Macs?

Would like to see how it runs on a PM G5 with a 20" cinema display.

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

As I recall from the last (and only) time I was in Apple Store (Seattle/Bellevue) they had no games in stalled on their machines, except on a group of old eMacs 700 MHz...

3. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

Even if they did have some games installed here, WoW is probably one of the last one's they would install as it is registration based...

I'm not sure if they'd mind you installing it... :confused:

reality

4. AmnesiacOpera macrumors member

The easy solution is to copy World of Warcraft onto your iPod, and then bring it with you to the store. :)

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you can install WoW without needing any registration numbers, i'm sure they could do a deal with blizzard, i once did play WoW at an apple store on a mac mini from my ipod but the accounts have a lock to stop external drives mounting, luckyly i had an ex employee next to me which unlocked it for me and i had a quick play before someone came up behind me and told me to stop or i'd be kicked out of the store.....

6. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

You win 20 points! I have run wow off my iPod, iBook in firewire mode, firewire drive, and over the network on the 2.7 with the 30 inch. I have never had any one give me grief (in fact one employees started talking about his rogue). Although I have only done it in the millennia(orlando) store and Bellvue Square(greater seattle)stores. All in all looks great on a 30inch.

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Wow really I have mounted countless volumes in apples stores once I even used a super drive to burn a cd.

8. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

well the london store is far more uptight. i'm only speaking from experience.

9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

I once burned WoW to DVD and brought it in to the Apple SOHO store to see how it would run on the Powerbooks. No one said anything or complained, and I was able to install it and play without issues.

10. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

me and some friends put it on a dual 2.7 with a 30" display at the mayfair apple store. THey were actually really cool about it and some even stopped to look at what we were doing, and commented on how cool it was. I guess they though of it as a way to test out the product before you want to buy it.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

A lot of stores are starting a "no mounting drives" policy as someone can copy thousands of dollars worth of software to their drives and then use them at home.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, that's why I think a burned CD or DVD is the way to go, it seems a lot less threatening to them. They can always restore the machine to its starting demo state. Although I have connected my iPod Shuffle a number of times in Apple stores and no one has ever hassled me about it. The write speed is so pokey they prolly figure it would take me all day to copy an application to it anyway. :rolleyes:

13. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Slow? Isn't USB 2.0 even faster than FW400??? Even FW400 has high speed.

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

it's limited to the flash memory read write speed which is around 10-20Mbps firewire is faster than USB2 and USB2 uses the cpu as a controller.

15. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

No. USB has a maximum speed of 480 Mb/s, whereas FW400 has a sustained speed of 400 Mb/s.

16. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Oh thats really encouraging! Heh, FW is faster than USB2, which every PC has now, but no FW :D:D:D hehehe ;)

But on what usb2's speed depends if 480 mbps is max speed?

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Aren't iPod drives pretty slow?

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Yeah. I'm only able to get a sustained 6mb/sec off of my 2nd gen 20gig ipod connected thru firewire. Obviously, having a high potential bandwidth doesn't mean the hard drive is going to take advantage of it.

19. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Hmm, don't think i could install/copy WOW onto my iPod, don't have a Mac at the moment so can't take advantage of using the iPod as a start up drive.

And im sure Apple could wangle some srt of deal so that WOW could be licensed and played in the stores on some sort of timer, 10 minutes - that sort of thing.

20. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well they don't want people in there like its lan place. I mean you should watch the little kids on the eMacs they keep going and going! ;)